Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in another area but was told I may get better luck here..... I belong to many forums and a lot of times when a new guy comes on and asks a very general question he either gets ignored, hammered, flamed or all three. Lol. If you've read this far and want to give me your .02 I'd appreciate it. The budget is $500.00 MAYBE a little more. My Son will be 15 this year. He's around 5'9" now, I think he will top out at or close to 6'. This will be his second mountain bike, he has outgrown the first one. I'd like a general or all purpose mountain bike. I'm looking for your opinions on best bang for the buck bikes. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
READ THIS! Hints for asking for advice

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Welcome to the “Bike and Frame Forum” (used to be called the What Bike to Buy Forum). The intent of this forum is to answer questions about specific bike choices as well as educate a buyer about buying a bicycle. We all know that buying a bike is a big step, and can be an intimidating process. Hopefully the information shared in this forum will take some of the mystery out of the process.

In order for the mtbr community to assist you in your selection or answering specific questions you have, it would be helpful if you provided as much information about your needs as possible. In doing so, the community can respond to your questions more directly. Here are some examples of the type of information to provide.

1) Your budget. $500-600
2) What bikes, if any, are you already considering? No brand preference as long as it's decent quality
3) What type of riding do you intend to do? Mostly trails and bike paths. However, needs the ability to be multi-purpose.
4) Do you have a preference over a hardtail or full suspension? No
5) Age, weight and height. 15/180/5'9"
6) What sources will you consider buying from? LBS/ Used, if it was too good of a deal to pass on.
7) Do you want people to offer you alternative suggestions to issues such as budget, bikes already considered, and sources? Yes please.

·
Registered
431 Posts
hard to tell... take him to your local LBS and have him ride some bikes around... almost all brands have bikes in that pricepoint so it will most likely come down to whatever feels the best for him. Here are just a couple of offerings,

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/mountain_hardtail/3_series/3900disc/

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/mountain_hardtail/4_series/4300disc/

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCProduct.jsp?spid=52709&scid=1000&scname=Mountain

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/bikes/model/revel/7509/44107/

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a DB response sport and he likes it. Seems like a decent bike for what I spent. How much more should I be willin to spend to go with a 29" wheel?

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Isn't the Response Sport already inside your budget? You could just get him one. The Overdrive is their 29er, available at pretty much all the same places, and available just within your budget too.

If his old bike's a 26" or 29" hardtail (or FS, come to think of it,) you might also consider a bare frame. You can get economical bare frames from performance.com, nashbar.com, pricepoint.com, bikeman.com, EBay, of course, and I'm sure some other sites. There are likely to be some hidden expenses involved in transferring the build, like a new seatpost and seat clamp, front derailleur, headset, etc., but if you do your homework, the whole project could still come in well under $500.

·
Braille Riding Instructor
1,146 Posts
SAVAGESAM, if you're really evil, you could buy yourself a new bike and give your son the hand-me-down Response Sport. :D

Seriously, though, there are three ways you could go: buy new online from a site like Price Point or Bikesdirect, buy new from a local bike shop (which might be willing to cut a super deal on a demo or an older model), or buy used. I've never bought a used bike, nor have I ever purchased a complete bike online, so all I can really tell you is, if you're truly after the best bang for your buck, take your time and do your research.

Happy trails,

HP

·
Registered
107 Posts
hdparrish said:
SAVAGESAM, if you're really evil, you could buy yourself a new bike and give your son the hand-me-down Response Sport. :D

Seriously, though, there are three ways you could go: buy new online from a site like Price Point or Bikesdirect, buy new from a local bike shop (which might be willing to cut a super deal on a demo or an older model), or buy used. I've never bought a used bike, nor have I ever purchased a complete bike online, so all I can really tell you is, if you're truly after the best bang for your buck, take your time and do your research.

Happy trails,

HP
Bam, that is a great idea. :thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.