Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Around October of last year, I bought a nice new 2013 Trek Mamba. I love everything about the bike and didn't plan to ride anything else for many years to come. Then, just last month, I got orders to Japan for the next two years. Well, I'm here, and not only will I not have a car, but I also refuse to pay $5 every time I get into a cab to get somewhere on base (multiple times a day). In addition to that, I definitely didn't forget to bring my MTB passion with me. With that being said, I was thinking about having the Mamba shipped here, but the hassle of it and especially the wait was a turn off. I made the trip to go possibly buy a $450 Trek Wahoo that I saw last week, but that bike was gone and instead they had two pretty Cannondale Trail 5's for $675. At first I was like :nono: and then I was like :rolleyes: and now I'm like:

Please make me feel good about this. I feel bad for my beloved and neglected Mamba and I can't believe I just spent the money on another new 29er (that is probably going to get rained on a lot). I heard Okinawa has some good mountain biking trails up north... so that's a plus, right?!

·
Registered
32 Posts
That's easy for a spendy guy like me to justify.

Just sell it when its time to go home and you'll have only spent about what it cost to ship the Mamba, without the hassle and potential damage. Then you get to experience the new-ness and joy of the Mamba all over again!

Oh, and lets not forget that you're basically getting PAID $5 every time you ride that bike somewhere, so you can keep a mental tab of that...

Also, MTB in Japan sounds really awesome. :thumbsup:

·
The Fastest of Bananas
1,792 Posts
Marine?

I live stateside, Fort Carson, and put roughly 600 in parts laying about into a commuter build to get me to and from work on nice days. I already saved it in gas, and its more fun than driving. Win-win.

Go ride your bike.

·
Colorado
425 Posts
Feel guilty about that Big Mac you ate, or the luxury car or house you bought but shouldn't have. Maybe even feel guilty about that expensive night on the town. But never...repeat...never feel guilty about a bike.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Don't ride that bike to town and get all lubed up on Mojo. Those cabbies will make a speed bump out of you.

Nice bike. Hell, we paid $600 for a car that had a toilet brush tied to the clutch cable. Cable was so short, you had to have someone sit in the back seat to work the clutch for you. OOH-RAH!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Sorry, Tyler – we can't help you.

You can, however, extinguish any guilt by doing this: Ride that bike until you break or wear out part. Smoke that chain first; burn up the tires and pads. Move on to warranty parts if you need to.

Seriously, the only way guilt can or should linger is if you are not riding it. Or, if you've broken monogamy with your main ride.

Cheers,

Mike

·
Registered
276 Posts
That thing pays for itself! After 135 quick cab rides you'd be left with nothing. Besides you only live once, so just enjoy it. Being stuck in a duty station with nothing to do stinks. Semper Fi.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Feel guilty about that Big Mac you ate, or the luxury car or house you bought but shouldn't have. Maybe even feel guilty about that expensive night on the town. But never...repeat...never feel guilty about a bike.
This just made me feel better. It really is true. Riding a bike consistently is a win-win in so many ways.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Total absolution!

As queen of my universe and a legend in my own mind, I hereby grant you total, instant, complete absolution from guilt for any bike or bike related purchases (including, but not limited to: bikes, upgrades, maintenance, bike bling, bike-related gear and clothing) from now going forward throughout all time, and for any wife to be and all of your offspring and their off spring, cause you're going to love your wife, kids and grandkids and want to buy them bikes.
Done.

Reactions: KRob

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
As queen of my universe and a legend in my own mind, I hereby grant you total, instant, complete absolution from guilt for any bike or bike related purchases (including, but not limited to: bikes, upgrades, maintenance, bike bling, bike-related gear and clothing) from now going forward throughout all time, and for any wife to be and all of your offspring and their off spring, cause you're going to love your wife, kids and grandkids and want to buy them bikes.
Done.
So many great responses on this thread and I hope you're feeling totally absolved from any guilt about your purchase from Her Majesty Queen June Bug!

Now go ride that bike. Nothing like the freedom a bike gives you..... even if it's just commuting.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.