Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello All,
Welcome the Noobest of the Noobs :thumbsup: .
I joined today to once and for all see if I can ID this beautiful Frame and Fork.
I have had this in my possession since 1993. When it came to me it had been painted and had no decals on it, I stripped the Spray bomb yesterday to get a better look at it (see pics)

Details:
Fork: 1989 Stamped Spinner XO Fork (chrome plated) .
Frame: Beautiful Filet Brazing on this one. see Seat Tube, Seat Stays, dropouts exc.
Original Paint color (from BB) Black
Serial Number: T9H 42904

Other Stuff:
This bike was equipped very well when it came to me for its day:
Deore Pedals
Deore 1 in Headset
Shimano XCE Brakes
Suntour Shifter Group
SR Cranks with SR Ovaltech Rings ;- )
Tioga Bars
Exc.

I took a bunch of pics as I think the brazing and seat stay "bologna cuts" should be a dead give away.
I however have not been able to find one similar anywhere on the net.
Any Ideas?

Thanks and I look forward to contributing here (long time lurker):cool:

Attachments

·
Bird watcher
878 Posts
The bike is tig welded not fillet. The lil stuff is brazed but not fillet. Most bikes have the lil bits brazed on as tigging them heats them up too fast and can have bad effects. Based on the nameless rear dropouts and reflector hole in the brake brace, my guess is that its a mid range Japanese or Taiwanese made frame. The fork, because of the plug type dropouts and the brand name, is not original to the set. Frame does not look familiar though.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I don't see any fillet brazing. The head tube, bb and seat tube junctions look to be mitered and welded, the dropouts are brazed.

·
defender of bad taste
1,600 Posts
Fork's like that were common on mid-to-high range mass produced bikes, late ''80s early 90s (which means Asian made), the frame is totally anonymous apart from the seat collar and looks nowhere near the fork in quality. The double rack mounts on the dropouts don't scream high end to me. The angled stay caps are quite common, and the equipment you list is definitely mid-range at best. If it's a light frame, I'd just throw a coat of paint on it and make it a daily rider.

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,913 Posts
I'm thinking Rocky Mountain Fusion maybe, or a Norco or Nishiki or Marin or any number of other chromoly frame hardtails from the late 80s. It is most likely double-butted Tange or Ishiwata chromoly tubing, and would be good to use as a commuter bike after a repaint. The vertical dropouts put it in the very late 80s though if its even that old.

·
I Have Cookies
2,644 Posts
looking @ the seat stays at first I thought old redline but they used to put their name on the top mitered piece that is showed up close.

·
Banned
2,989 Posts
Spinner fork is Taiwanese. Frame is probably also from Taiwan and Hodaka built.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the assistance so far guys.
I have some more stuff to add later.
One is a super old Rockhopper with the long horizontal Drops..
I am kind of glad I held on to my old stuff.
I restore and collect mostly bmx but as you will see I still have some mtb stuff ;- ).
I will take some more pics of this one if I rebuild it too..
Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ckevlar said:
Just for reference, this is a fillet brazed frame:
cool Pic:thumbsup:
Thanks for all the help..
I got some cool stuff to add here in time..
Saved all of my old MTB stuff from BITD:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I just went to Sheldons Page.
Looks to be a 1989 Bridgestone.. Not sure what model yet.. Citybike or MB...
Frame looks more MB ish but the rear cable guide looks more Citybike ish.

The bike is currently in primer.. (I left the forks chrome):thumbsup:
Thanks all for your help!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts