Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

A little history on this bike:

Years ago I traded a Trek Singletrack 930 for this Schwinn (I'm thinking it was mid-90's). I sold the Schwinn to my brother & he stripped it w/ intentions on painting it. That never happened (the paint part that is) & it sat in his basement as a frame/fork for probably the last 5~6 years.

I just started riding again this year (Haro FS) but wanted to rebuild this old hardtail so I got it & all the parts back.

What I do know about the bike:
Serial number is on the headtube: 0F03425
Used to have a 'Team Issue' sticker on it
1" threaded steerer
Magura HS22 Hydraulic rim brakes
XT thumb shifters
cables on the top tube
Deore DX rear Der/LX front
Deore DX hubs, Singletrack rims, Panaracer Smoke XC tires

Here's the pics:

I'm thinking I may make this into a SS project. I have a brand new XT crankset from 2001. Also have brand newXT Rapidfire SL shifters from 01. My brother bought these to use on the bike but never did. :D

What I'd like to know:
Model & year?
Could it take a small suspension fork? IIRC the previous owner at one time had an AMP Research fork on it
Any other pertinent or useful info?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cegrover said:
Could be a 1990 KOM S-7 M.O.S. according to this link:

http://www.firstflightbikes.com/schwinn_specs.htm

Note the mostly DX components and the red/black paint.

If SS, why would you need shifters? :)
Thx for the link! It seems that it very well could be that model from the specs listed.

Yep, not gonna need the shifters, was just a cool find in my brothers basement. :)

Hmmm...now it just needs some paint. Anybody have any ideas?

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
You might also want to do a search on this forum for Schwinn dates (or search for Paramountain) - my understanding is that the first two digits in your serial number should indicate the year, but I don't know the codes.

Was the black paint applied to the rear by your brother? Upon looking closer at the photos, it appears that it's applied over the red paint. I'm not sure if the factory would have done that. There are experts here who probably know...

Enjoy!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cegrover said:
Was the black paint applied to the rear by your brother? Upon looking closer at the photos, it appears that it's applied over the red paint. I'm not sure if the factory would have done that. There are experts here who probably know...

Enjoy!
Nope, he never did paint it, just sanded it down & then lost interest. The factory must have shot the frame red & then applied the black coat. I am gonna get him to paint it though, he's a car painter by trade & does beautiful work.

·
All 26.5" all the time!
1,855 Posts
Look carefully at the head badge. Is there a four digit code stamped there?

I'm leaning toward 90-91. It has a braze-on pulley mount for the front derailleur, so a bottom pull can be used.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Zanetti said:
Look carefully at the head badge. Is there a four digit code stamped there?

I'm leaning toward 90-91. It has a braze-on pulley mount for the front derailleur, so a bottom pull can be used.
Below the badge there is this number: 0F03425, but it's closer to the bottom of the headtube right above the bearing cup.

I didn't notice a 4 digit code, but I'll look closer tonight.

·
All 26.5" all the time!
1,855 Posts
kramonut said:
Below the badge there is this number: 0F03425, but it's closer to the bottom of the headtube right above the bearing cup.

I didn't notice a 4 digit code, but I'll look closer tonight.
Most Schwinns had a date code stamped on to the headbadge. The digits are really small, so a good light source and maybe even a magnifying glass might help.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Zanetti said:
Most Schwinns had a date code stamped on to the headbadge. The digits are really small, so a good light source and maybe even a magnifying glass might help.
I examined that headbadge like crazy & didn't see anything. Doesn't mean it's not there though...my eyes really are terrible & I couldnt find a mag. glass anywhere.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have a price sheet from 1990 that confirms the red with black tail for the 1990 KOM S-7 ($699.95). Schwinn serial numbers typically used a letter/number or number/letter in the first two positions depending on where it was manufactured, so the number here fits that scheme and decodes to June of 1990.

Bob Hufford
Springfield, MO

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BobHufford said:
I have a price sheet from 1990 that confirms the red with black tail for the 1990 KOM S-7 ($699.95). Schwinn serial numbers typically used a letter/number or number/letter in the first two positions depending on where it was manufactured, so the number here fits that scheme and decodes to June of 1990.

Bob Hufford
Springfield, MO
Thx Bob I appreciate the info! Didn't realize the bike was that old. Anybody have idea what the KOM means? I assume S-7 is the # of speeds which matches what this bike has.

·
Registered
95 Posts
kramonut said:
Anybody have idea what the KOM means? I assume S-7 is the # of speeds which matches what this bike has.
"King of the Mountain". S-7 is a series designation. There was also an S-9 model that year (also a 7-speed). Jeff doesn't show it in his specs list, but I have a Schwinn Paramount Accessories catalog from '88 ('89 models?) that shows KOM S-2 frames, so I guess that's when they started the numbering. I'm not sure where the numbers in between went ...

Bob Hufford
Springfield, MO

·
All 26.5" all the time!
1,855 Posts
BobHufford said:
"King of the Mountain". S-7 is a series designation. There was also an S-9 model that year (also a 7-speed). Jeff doesn't show it in his specs list, but I have a Schwinn Paramount Accessories catalog from '88 ('89 models?) that shows KOM S-2 frames, so I guess that's when they started the numbering. I'm not sure where the numbers in between went ...

Bob Hufford
Springfield, MO
Yup. S-7 is just the model in the series. MOS means Mountain OverSize -- meaning larger frame tubes and a 1 1/8" headset.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts