Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a little digger today - I'm fine (just a few scrapes), but my brake levers (both) did not fair so well.

The clamp on the left lever busted and a small, black hex thingy (I think it helps turn the lever adjustment screw?) broke off, but the brake is still operational and seems to give the proper braking force on the calipers - none of the other parts of the assembly appear bent or broken. Here is what my left lever looks like:

Bicycle accessory Bicycle part Sewing machine Machine Household appliance accessory
Motorcycle Motorcycle accessories Carbon Bicycle accessory Iron

On the right, the lever snapped completely off of the rest of the assembly but the 2 pieces do not appear to be bent or broken otherwise - of course I can't really test the functionality of the brake in this condition - here is what my right looks like:

Bicycle accessory Iron Pipe Bicycle Bicycle handlebar
Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Finger Bicycle wheel Bicycle part

I am somewhat wrench-competent, but have never worked on the internals of brake levers before (just installed & bled). Also, I did not noticed any oil leaking after the crash & I was looking for it.

So what do you think? Are either salvageable? / Can I order just the few broken replacement pieces? Or do I need to replace the entire lever assembly on either or both sides? Please let me know if any further information or pics would be helpful.

Thanks so much in advanced!

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
You can go to a bike shop and have them check to see what small parts are available for replacement.
Depending on what parts are needed and available, it may not be too much $$.
However, unless you're doing all the replacement work yourself, you'll likely do better just by replacing the entire lever assembly or the entire brake.
Parts can be cheap, but shop labor isn't.
Replacement lever assemblies are $50-$65 at most places. Check online and look for coupon codes and free shipping and you can replace the entire lever for cheap.
If you aren't going to do the work yourself, add in $30 for a shop to install + bleed.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can go to a bike shop and have them check to see what small parts are available for replacement.
Depending on what parts are needed and available, it may not be too much $$.
However, unless you're doing all the replacement work yourself, you'll likely do better just by replacing the entire lever assembly or the entire brake.
Parts can be cheap, but shop labor isn't.
Replacement lever assemblies are $50-$65 at most places. Check online and look for coupon codes and free shipping and you can replace the entire lever for cheap.
If you aren't going to do the work yourself, add in $30 for a shop to install + bleed.
Thanks man! Helpful info - btw is that an Op Ivy album cover? Great band!

·
Magically Delicious
12,477 Posts
This won't help you now, but many years ago the same damage happened to me. My trick (which isn't new) is to not tighten brakes mounts very tight so that in the event of a crash, hopefully the brake units just pivot on the bars rather than brake the levers. Many hard, fast and knarley crashes since then have never resulted in a broken brake lever again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.