Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, sorta stuck between picking one of these two bikes, hoping you guys can help, the first is this one-
Iron Horse Outlaw 21 speed with front suspension:
https://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=21282

and the 2nd is this one-

Specialized Hardrock:
per sellers description-
"I am selling my late 90's model year Specialized Hardrock AXFS bike. It has a strong and light aluminum frame, with no cracks. It also has a RockShox front shock.

Last year I spent over $300 upgrading the brakes(Shimano XT), crankset, chain, shifters, cables, handlebar, and MORE!!! Since the upgrades I have ridden the bike only 3 times, and all on paved roads...no joke. I realized that the bike is just too small for me now. I probably should have realized this before the big upgrades, but oh well...my loss is your gain!

I am 6'1" and its a bit too small for me. It is a 17" frame and will fit anyone from 5'6" to 5'10".

The bike will probably need new derailers, front and rear. I know they need to be adjusted for sure, but they are old so a new set would be good for the bike."
pics:

Stuck deciding between the two, I really like the Iron Horse because of the disc brake features and the shifters, but at the same time can't decide if the specialized will be better, I'm new to mt. biking and have recently started riding trails and would appreciate your guys input, thanks.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Heck, that's easy....

I would get the Iron Horse with out question. It's a slam dunk IMO. Disk brakes and a current technology fork are the two main reasons but everything else is either on par with that Hardrock or better on the IH. :thumbsup: The Iron Horse brand has a real good rap on this board so don't think for a minute your getting a lesser quality bike than the Specialized. The only downside to either one is that you can't test ride them and get fitted. You may want to post on the Iron Horse forum and get some feed back on what size to get. There is also this very helpful online tool.

http://www.wrenchscience.com/WS1/Secure/Fitting/Height.asp

Good luck with it!

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Buy the IH

For all the reasons Leopaddog mentioned. If you can test ride it before hand, do so. Let us know what you decide.

Bob

·
-> SickLines.com <-
3,196 Posts
the outlaw looks like a better bike for you. The only problem i foresee if upgrades. If you ever want to upgrade to say 8/9 speed its going to be a pain in the rear with that bike being 7speed right now unless the rear hub is 8speed with a spacer. I would however still pick it over that used 90's specialized.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
grr.... looks like dude posted up a different outlaw then the one he has for sale, his he has for sale doesn't even have disc brakes! :( going have to passs it up, so should I swoop on the specialized or keep on searching guys? budget is about $200 right now, thanks for all the info so far!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I found a bike, its a Iron Horse, has full suspenison (rear fox) w/ disc brakes, but I am not sure what model it is, here is a pic:

Rides coo, I like it so far, so wondering what I should do about maintanence for it?? thanks guys

1 - 6 of 6 Posts