Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I have been riding since I was a teenager, but stopped many years ago. Recently I have been hiking trails and mountains, I am getting the bug to come back to mountain biking. I don't have a bike right now, but I am hoping that someone here can help me choose the right entry level bike. I have my eye on 3 different choices, please help me decide.

29er Mountain Bikes Up to 60% Off - MTB - Motobecane 529HT

Or

https://m.dickssportinggoods.com/p/...uct_PageElement_product1_rr_1_3034_&rrec=true

Or

Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane Fantom 29er Mountain Bikes with Disc brakes, Tubeless Compatible Rims

know none of these bikes are perfect and need upgrading, buy which one of these is a good bike to get in???

·
Bikesexual
7,568 Posts
I think 1&3 are the same bike.

If that's your budget, all bikes are going to be similar as far as components, give or take.

The BD bikes are fine, the fork in any of these will be the weak point. What kind of trails?

My first bike was 529ht in 26 version, BD bikes do have to be checked for assembly, and probably these 3 must upgrades.

Tires, Pedals, brakes.

Bars are super narrow. They will get you riding, and in, turn figure out what you like, dislike on a bike. If you stick to it, you will upgrade your bike regardless of what first bike you get.

And regardless of bike, make sure it fits.

·
Registered
506 Posts
As Jcd said most entry level bikes are very similar. Although online sales can be tempting I would still consider supporting your local bike shop. All of the big brands, Specialized, Giant, Trek, etc. all have great bikes to get you in the game at competitive prices to your choices.
IMO it’s worth it to pay a little more to have support for warranty issues and tunes/adjustments.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You are right, I mistakenly linked the same bike, I changed it, but this is the link here >>>

Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane Fantom 29er Mountain Bikes with Disc brakes, Tubeless Compatible Rims

I think 1&3 are the same bike.

If that's your budget, all bikes are going to be similar as far as components, give or take.

The BD bikes are fine, the fork in any of these will be the weak point. What kind of trails?

My first bike was 529ht in 26 version, BD bikes do have to be checked for assembly, and probably these 3 must upgrades.

Tires, Pedals, brakes.

Bars are super narrow. They will get you riding, and in, turn figure out what you like, dislike on a bike. If you stick to it, you will upgrade your bike regardless of what first bike you get.

And regardless of bike, make sure it fits.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm 5-8...they have cannondale, Diamondback, Trek, Giant and some other brands...but they don't have much in the $500-600 price range.

How tall are you?
Inseam?

What brands does your shop carry?
Possibly avoid 26" as it's being outdated and will limit tire selection and resale if that matters to you.

·
Bikesexual
7,568 Posts
I'm 5-8...they have cannondale, Diamondback, Trek, Giant and some other brands...but they don't have much in the $500-600 price range.
I think you got some solid advice on your other thread, of course that means saving and waiting a bit more, but that maybe worth it.

With that said, you can still go rigid (no suspension) plus tires with BD. Trust when you are told a rigid fork is a LOT better than a low end pogo stick that comes in the $500-600 range. I wish I had known that when I started and bought the 520HT back then.

Give this one a look, not as fancy as the Kona you were given a link for, which btw it is a great deal but maybe this is close enough to budget?

Save Up to 60% Off 29Plus, 27Plus Fat Bikes, Mountain Save Up to 60% Off New Bikes

The wider tires will help w/smoothing things out a bit (at the right pressures).

Also check CL for Kona Units - I found my frame for $200.00 in perfect shape. (see my avatar) Completes run in the $600/700 range in my area.

·
Registered
506 Posts
If they don’t have it in stock at your shop they should be able to order something like the Trek Marlin 5 in the M/L size. Comes in 27.5”or 29”. Diamondback and Giant will have similar bikes to this as well In your price range.

·
Cycologist
10,345 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.