Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

A friend of mine is giving me a great deal on a specialized allez (2004 model). The bike is " 56.5cm/L" it has that exact number and letter near the bottom bracked area. I`m size 19' on specialized mountain bikes. My height is 1.83mt (6.0'') and inseam of 33.07inches (84cm).

Do you think that bike could suit me?

thanks a lot!

BTW, if that bike is too small for me, according to my measurements, wich will be my correct size?

thanks!

·
Registered
18,597 Posts
fran said:
Hi

A friend of mine is giving me a great deal on a specialized allez (2004 model). The bike is " 56.5cm/L" it has that exact number and letter near the bottom bracked area. I`m size 19' on specialized mountain bikes. My height is 1.83mt (6.0'') and inseam of 33.07inches (84cm).

Do you think that bike could suit me?

thanks a lot!

BTW, if that bike is too small for me, according to my measurements, wich will be my correct size?

thanks!
It sounds as if it might work, but road bikes need to fit you so precisely that I wouldn't buy one without throwing a leg over it first.

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Fran, that sounds about right on sizing. I'm 6' with a 32" inseam. I work at a shop and wind up on quite a few different bikes. Though there has been the odd 54cm bike that fit pretty good, the 56cm bike has just about always been the ideal fit. I could not go larger on most any bike, so your 33" inseam should not be problem on a 56.5. As Nat suggested, road bikes are way more critical on fit, and ideally you should get fitted on it, but if you absolutely can't, that one sounds like it should work.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
I'd say it's a good bet but might need to play with the cockpit a bit to suit you; you might need a different seatpost/stem. I'm slightly smaller than you but prefer a larger frame than many, so usually 56-58cm frames fit me well depending on brand/geometry. What did you think when you rode it?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
We sell Specialized road bikes and yes that frame will fit you with a little playing around.
I'm just over 6' and prefer the 58cm frame size however. It's only 3/4" difference however.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After some testing and internet fitting sites reading...

I think that 56.5 cm may be a good option.
I put some pedals on it and do some road testing on the parking lot, and it feels a little different than my MTB, I mean an aero position that I have to get used to. Normal signs as the space between my shouler and my knee with the pedals at the 3 o' clock position were good (about 4-5cm).

More reasons to buy it, is that it`s a 2004 allez comp triple, it`s used, but the guy who used it has logged in it just 190miles as too much of climbing terrain. the rest of the time it was hanging from the wall (a busy man, hehe ). So it has all the ultegra group on it, plus an almost new flight deck computer. The only backside is that he doesn`t sell the pedals...well`I`m planning to put some old mountain spd pedals (Shimano m-505) while I get the money to buy road pedals.

BTW, how can you notice if the frame has been hitted or mistrated besides looking at the paint for scratch signs?. The only scratch that it has, is at the horizontal tube, just a 3mm paint chip, I think it was made while it was being transported by plane to our country. (It was buyed in the US )

One last thing that I want to comment: This bike will be used on a trainer too, at least 4-5 days a week, with all kind of training types (intervals, muscle endurance, etc). So, I know it`s made of columbus e-5 aluminium, so my main question is: Will the flex of the trainer affect the durability of the bike? Will it break, or crack, for using it on the trainer?.

thanks a lot for all your comments and suggestions!

bye!

Pd: I haven`t payed it yet, so please if you have some warning advices say them NOW!
thanks!

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
lebikerboy said:
We sell Specialized road bikes and yes that frame will fit you with a little playing around.
I'm just over 6' and prefer the 58cm frame size however. It's only 3/4" difference however.
I'm 6'3, 34" inseam and just bought a 58cm Allez today.

·
Registered
18,597 Posts
fran said:
Normal signs as the space between my shouler and my knee with the pedals at the 3 o' clock position were good (about 4-5cm).
Your shoulder is only 4cm-5cm above your knee when your hands are in the drops? That sounds a bit low to me. What does everyone else think?

·
Don't touch me!
843 Posts
fran said:
Normal signs as the space between my shouler and my knee with the pedals at the 3 o' clock position were good (about 4-5cm).
thanks!
What about the 12 o'clock position? Sounds like your knees will be hitting your chest. If the seatpost is set to your leg length, then you need to look for another road bike.

http://www.coloradocyclist.com/bikefit/
I used this as a basis for my road bike purchase. I'm approximately 6&1/2 ft tall with around a 34/35 inch inseam measurement ("A" on the link) and I'm happy with the 59 cm sized Lightspeed I bought.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.