Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I'm sorry if my English is bad, I'm french. I will try to do not make a lot of mistakes.

Then, I'm Dimitri, I'm 28 years old and leaving in Strasbourg, France.

Now, why i'm here, it's the most important....

Looking for a year a touring bike in 29 "or 26".

I don't know what's the better bike for me between troll and Ogre

This bike will be used for hiking, biking and commuting (a little).

Can someone could help me? If you have any question, I'm here<label for="rb_iconid_12">
</label>

·
Stubby-legged
1,317 Posts
5'6" and under= troll.
5'6" and over= ogre

my choice= ECR and I am 5'3".....:)
you can't go wrong with either choice, both are more versatile than your mother.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your answer.

My biggest problem is in the size of the whell. What's the most multipurpose for all. I think the 26" could be find in all the world but 29" is better for mountain bike novice

·
Registered
645 Posts
I have had my Troll for a few years now and it is amazing. Bikepacking, road riding, single speed, geared, single track sessions, and commuting, this bike can do it all. If you have the chance, ride them both and see what feels best to you. Both are solid bikes.

·
Registered
480 Posts
ogre in 16" (small) size is somewhat problematic IMO..

I rode one before and the toe overlap on that is significant, esp with it being a mountain bike. I don't have huge clown feet either.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I actually prefer the 26 inch wheel for road use even though I am a big 29er fan. (Both of my dedicated mountain bikes are 29ers). You don't really need the extra rollover ability of a 29er on pavement and the smaller wheel accelerates faster from a stop (which happens a lot more in urban areas than it does on the trail). Also, for touring the smaller wheel makes more sense since it effectively lowers your gearing and can be built stronger. And finally, there are still more tire choices for 26 inch wheels although the gap is being closed fast (and may change in the future due to 650B). For instance, there was still no Maxxis Holy Roller or Kenda K-Rad in 29er size last time I checked. I used to have a Karate Monkey (very similar to the Ogre) as my commuter bike and now I have a Troll which I like better. As far as height goes, I am 6'1" tall.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you so much, I could imagine my future bike now, I think I will take the Troll. I hope I may try both if it's possible, but if it isn't possible, I will buy the troll.

is that it is also a good mountain bike?

·
Registered
645 Posts
is that it is also a good mountain bike?
I really enjoy the way the Troll rides on single track. The geometry works for me, and it is just fun to ride in the woods, even with the rigid fork. Put a fatter tire in the fork and let it rip. I ran mine last summer with a 2.6" in the front, and a 2.1" in the rear, and that was perfect for me as odd as that combo might sound.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Troll has the same geo as the 1x1, which is an excellent MTB.

Wheel size preference is really up to the individual. I was in the "26 inch for world tours" camp for years, but these days, I would really be equally happy and confident on 700c wheels, or maybe even 650b. Look at guys like Joe Cruz touring on Fat bikes around the globe. I would just say, whatever you get, try to buy high-quality and durable components, and chances are, you'll be just fine.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Ogres are a really nice ride. Never tried a Troll, as 29er geometries typically fit my body better. If you can try either one out, go for it.

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
Trolls can fit 29 wheels, just like 1x1's can.
It's tight, but it works. :thumbsup:

Many have had great success with 650b wheels on a Troll/1x1, however you're pretty limited on road/touring tires in that size. If I were to get a do-it-all type bike like this, I'd get a Troll with 650b wheelset for offroad use, and 700c wheelset (~35-40c wide tires) for pavement/commuting duties. That would give you an extremely wide range of performance out of one bike, ideal for dirt and pavement with separate wheelsets. Your only downside being that you have to swap wheels for whatever you're doing.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Limited 650b road tire selection, yes. However, the ones that are out there are extremely well regarded - Grand Bois Hetre, Pacenti Pari-Moto, etc. Heck, 650b is probably easier to get in France, where it all started. I don't know, is it Dimitri?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Limited 650b road tire selection, yes. However, the ones that are out there are extremely well regarded - Grand Bois Hetre, Pacenti Pari-Moto, etc. Heck, 650b is probably easier to get in France, where it all started. I don't know, is it Dimitri?
I don't know, in France, I think a little part of people know 650b (maybe my expression is not in a very good english). Only mountain biker know this.

·
Registered
645 Posts
image.jpg
Here is my current iteration. Check out my websites in my signature to see the many forms it has taken over the last few years.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts