Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all...this is my first post and i wanted to say this site is awesome and i look forward to reading, learning, and dropping off the occasional post.

my ? is that i stumbled upons my friends mint mtb the other day. now i havent owned anything with selectable gears since i was 12 and had a neon huffy :madman: haha! anyway i got into bmx for awhile and use to race and fart around some of the local spots.

fast forward to yesterday and what do i find...

a MINT specialized ground control FSR comp. now i need help because this bike was offered to me for a $100 :eek: (very close friend) and i cant pass it up. i plan to use this bike for some XC, general trail riding, and pounding the pavement from time to time. what i know is that the frame is orange, looks like a big sideways Y and has the above mentioned markings on it. i dont know frame size, i dont know how much travel, or what kind of shock, or anyting really hahaha. what i do know is i plan to make it my first bike and i am trying to get some info about the year, model, specs etc...i plan to look at it in detail tommorrow or friday and ill try to snap a pic. thanks for the help!!! :thumbsup:

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
Hopefully a Spec fan will appear & have a better answer. It sounds like a pre '00 model but from the sound of the description $100 is a fair price. I belive it should have XT drive line Manitou fork, V-brakes & about 2 1/2 inches travel so the price is fair. It's no DH machine though, good to have fun on though. :)

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
If it fits, buy it

Test ride the bike and make sure it fits. If it feels comfortable when you ride it, then buy it. A mint condition ANY year FSR is probably worth the $100. It's a cheap way to get into the sport. The bike could last you a couple years if it's in decent shape. More comments when we see the pic.

Bob

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well after doing more research heres what i came up with.

appears to be a 99 ground control FSR comp. full suspension giving about 3-4" travel. im not sure what componets are on it but i believe theres some upgraded bars and small things.

i hope to have a pic up tommorrow. what can you tell me about this bike stock? figure its a good starter bike...any idea on what the market value is

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
now the offer is no longer $100 but there wanting $300 :rolleyes: i dont know much about bikes but i'm thinkin $300 is a little much. i'm going sunday to check the bike out and i will post a pic. in the mean time i was hoping someone here could give me a good idea of what the going rate is or what it might be worth

thanks!

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Download/copy the pics/images in your hard drive/my pictures by using card reader if images are in memory card.
Start a thread and click upload images below message box.
-click on browse on one of the windows.
-look for image to be upload on my pictures file then click on upload.
-you'll see title of uploaded images on the attach files if successful.
-submit reply/thread.

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
like dogonfr said, ibex is a sick company, check em' out. but you might not have the $$$ to dish out on something ne. the ground controll is a little older, reminds me of what I started riding on (Motiv Vortex Disc) but for $100.00 its worth it, you cant even get a good cheap-o bike from Target at that price.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
update: PICS

here are a couple pics....i have lots more, lmk what you think :thumbsup: the bike sure is TALL!!!! i definetly would need a shorter stem...the frame says XL above the cranks, im gonna give it a bath and lube tomorrow. potential value?

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
todd_freeride said:
for $100.00 you cant really go wrong, its actually kinda cool in a vintage way.
thats what i was thinking until they said they want more like 2-300 for it :madmax: im sure i can bargain down to $150 or so i hope. not worth much more then $100?

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
What about fit???

norcal450 said:
the bike sure is TALL!!!! i definetly would need a shorter stem...the frame says XL above the cranks, im gonna give it a bath and lube tomorrow. potential value?
Your comment regarding the bike being tall says a lot. How tall are you? If this bike is too big and doesn't fit, you won't enjoy riding it, you'll get frustrated, and it will once again become a dust collector. The $100 you spent on this bike will be wasted, and you'll have $100 less to spend on a bike that fits. OTOH, if the bike does fit, it's worth $100. Not a penny more, IMO. Don't make a bad move and spend any more than that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
first i would like to thank everyone who has responded :thumbsup: if i didnt find this website i would have already dropped more money on this bike then its worth

now on to my dilemma...i miss riding a lot and looking to get back into it as cheaply as possible. i have checked out the ibex bikes and they have gotten great reviews and look solid. the problem is that i dont want to shell out $500 right now just to get going.

i think the specialized would be a good first bike to get my feet wet. i can pick it up for $200 so what you think? i know everyone is saying no more then $100 but if i can get a year or so of good use out of the ground control then i think its worth it. :confused:

·
I live to bike
2,450 Posts
I see avid brakes, xt levers (can't see drivetrain, but will assume if the levers are xt, the derailleurs are at least Deore). Not too shabby for an older bike. $200 would not be a terrible deal. BUT, as long as fit is at least halfway decent. You mentioned it is an extra large, if you're tall it may be a good starter bike. but if you're 5'6", you'll hardly be able to control it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.