Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike seems to slow down in some gears. At first i thought it was the brakes but I had them checked out and it wasn't the problem. It does it intermittently which is very frustrating.

I'm having to pedal too hard in the low gears - in some gears I should be spinning pretty easily but I'm having to push harder than I should be.

Is it the wheels, the gears ...
any ideas:confused: :madman:

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Info on what bike it is, wheels, cranks, cassette, derailleurs, and chain might help also. This may have nothing to do with your particular issue but on my first bike this year I had older style hubs, not sure what there called but they are the kind where it is a solid axle with nuts holding them on. What ever there called my axle in the rear was bent preventing my wheel from moving freely. That is one possible issue you could be having.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dremer03 said:
Info on what bike it is, wheels, cranks, cassette, derailleurs, and chain might help also. This may have nothing to do with your particular issue but on my first bike this year I had older style hubs, not sure what there called but they are the kind where it is a solid axle with nuts holding them on. What ever there called my axle in the rear was bent preventing my wheel from moving freely. That is one possible issue you could be having.
Its an '09 Gary Fisher Cobia, stock - Bontrager wheels, Shiamno cranks, Sram.

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
Being an intermittant problem leads me to believe that it may be related to bearings . Does it do this only while coasting or when peddaling or both ?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AZ.MTNS said:
Being an intermittant problem leads me to believe that it may be related to bearings . Does it do this only while coasting or when peddaling or both ?
Both.
This morning it started doing it when I was
about 3/4 of the way up a hill, then on the way down I should have been flying but today I was just going fast ... it was noticeable,

Bearings could very well be the problem :idea:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sadly, no.

I'm good with my hands but I just don't have much experience with m.bikes. I don't think it'd be a good idea for me to start messing with it ... unless its something thats fairly basic and wouldn't require any special tools?

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
Requires a couple of specific tools , its not particularly difficult but if you dont have the tools . Check out Park Tools , there are tutorials about servicing these , for the b.b. do a search for isis , the service tutorial comes up in the results . It will show you what tools you need and how to do it . Same thing with your hubs .

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I thought it was the brakes, as well, but I had them checked out and they passed.

I have a feeling it may be the bearings ...

AZ,
I think I'll just take it in and have it done.

Anyone else agree or disagree?

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
hmm, that bike has the avid bb5 mechanical discs correct?

I would flip the bike upside down, and spin the wheels - see how long it takes them to slow

then go ride it and the second you get the slowish feeling stop (ising the brakes) flip it and check the wheels again.

if they are rotating slow, confirm if it is one, or both, then inspect how close the rotor is to the brake pads - there should be some sort of a gap. If there is good gap plus slow it is your bearings.

if they are rotating fast still, then hop on, ride till that slowing feeling, but stop without using the brakes, and inspect that pad gap.

I find it odd that the wheel bearings are so shot that you can feel the drag, but not hear anything........

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
006_007 said:

I would flip the bike upside down, and spin the wheels - see how long it takes them to slow

then go ride it and the second you get the slowish feeling stop (ising the brakes) flip it and check the wheels again.

if they are rotating slow, confirm if it is one, or both, then inspect how close the rotor is to the brake pads - there should be some sort of a gap. If there is good gap plus slow it is your bearings.

if they are rotating fast still, then hop on, ride till that slowing feeling, but stop without using the brakes, and inspect that pad gap.

I find it odd that the wheel bearings are so shot that you can feel the drag, but not hear anything........
Good thinking .

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
006_007 said:

The front wheel is spinning slower than the rear - the rear wheel is spinning freely, but the front one has some resistance, somewhere. I just checked the gap on the front brake and there is a small gap on one side; the rear one looks like there isn't a gap, but it spins freely ... weird:madman:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
AZ.MTNS said:
Take the brake calipers off and try it again .
Great idea!!

Just checked ...
Looks like the front brake is rubbing ...

What now:confused:

EDIT:

Now that I put the caliper back, the front wheel spins free-er, also now there is a hissing sound like its rubbing,but it spins easier than before ...:???:

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
Do you have a service manuel for those brakes ? If not look it up on line . First reinstall brake caliper loosely , with the bolts loose enough to move the caliper sqeeze the brake lever and tighten the mounting bolts . Now look up in the service manuel how to adjust the pads .

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.