Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! New to the forum, but let me cut to the chase: I'd like to purchase a new MTB around $1000.

For a some time I have owned a 2011 26" hardtail with Deore/SLX/XT groupset parts & loved it (brave souls can look it up here and google translate Apache Blackhawk), but had to let it go after my move to US, NYC. I moved to Brooklyn few months ago and realized - I could ride a bike here again! After all, many people do.

I'm not really beginner, but definitely not experienced trail rider either. Looking for a universal bike for both roads and trails - the short ones I may be able to get to in Brooklyn. I would also love to use the bike to commute to work or go to longer paved road trips every once in a while. And yes, even though hybrid could work really well considering my intended usage, I still want a hardtail. The ability to go anywhere with a SINGLE bike is priceless for me.

So far I have narrowed down my criteria to:

• 29" inch wheels - because I don't need as much maneuverability and the slightly increased speed should help on roads.
  • Double drivetrain. Single drivetrain would limit my top speed too much on roads I think. I don't mind having to work for it on the roads, but having extremely low hardest gear would be probably too annoying. I have used Gear Calculator to compare my old bike and some of the bikes below Bike Gears calculator. The hardest gear of my old 26" is hard to beat, while lowest gear similar to what modern bikes can offer.
  • Equivalent of SLX groupset quality. Using this just to filter out potential low quality bikes that are simply overpriced. Amazing Deore bike would probably do too.
  • Lockable fork (which is a standard now), ideally remote and air.
  • Frame size around 21" (I'm 190cm = 6' 3")
  • Price no more than $1000-ish

I really like this one https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/cube-acid-27-5-hardtail-mountain-bike-2019/rp-prod181565, but 27.5" puts me off. Actually I contacted the store regarding the wheel size, since this may be a product description mistake (larger frame sizes should come with 29").

I also like https://www.orbea.com/us-en/bicycles/mountain/mx/cat/mx-29-20 or MX 29 10, which is available in stores and finally https://www.orbea.com/us-en/bicycles/mountain/alma/cat/alma-29-h50, which I also found in online store.

Even though top speed is a concern, potentially SRAM Eagle could work too, the difference of highest gear is not that dramatic. In that case I like https://www.chainreactioncycles.com...-29-hardtail-mountain-bike-2019/rp-prod181583.

What do you think about bikes above? And mainly, do you have any other recommendations that are currently available for purchase? I don't have a good overview of US online stores, so I might have missed out on some good or even better options. As you can see, all my bikes I have chosen are in fact European :)

Thanks a lot for your help!

·
U sayin' Bolt ?
1,364 Posts
Those are nice bikes, and I believe CRC says they will pay the duty on completes. Otherwise be warned anything you buy internationally with value over $800 will likely get you hit with duty and courier fees.

For a city bike, my choice would be a ~$100 little used older bike tuned to tits. A shiny new mtb will stick out like a sore thumb and have you worried everytime you leave it anywhere.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, good point about the taxes, I figured most companies would pay those themselves and ship from US warehouse, but might not be the case for all.

As for city bike - I'm well aware of risks riding new MTB. My old one got stolen and ever since then I never left my bike alone. My office has a dedicated bike room, so the work commute should be fine. Otherwise, I just need to be careful and plan my trips around not leaving my bike anywhere.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
I would go double before eagle. The cassette will last longer and it will still have better range, especially considering limits on how large of a chain ring the bike will take.

Any used options, you're looking for the kind of bike that may be heavily discounted on Craigslist or pink bike.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
784 Posts

·
Registered
Two wheels, handle bars
1,797 Posts
I have to say, it's perhaps inadvisable to commute on a $1000 bike, even though you have bike storage space. I switch between commuting on my single speed mtb (used, very cheap) and touring bike (used, not nearly as cheap). However, I always keep my bike in my office, something a lot of people can't do.

Are you opposed to using websites like craigslist to find a used bike? If so, you can probably find an older used mtb for commuting and get a nicer one and probably spend about $1000 for the pair. Unless you're also committed to only having one bike.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey, thanks for the advice. I guess I always only had a single bike that I used for both commuting & fun riding and liked that convenience of simplicity. The main reason why to decide for one bike is the space, though - I simply cannot store two bikes in my apartment and I'd refuse to keep even cheap commute bike chained to the fence outside of the building or so.

Furthermore, I would only even commute on the bike to the office and nowhere else, unless I can take a bike inside with me.

That being said, I might decide to pay for CityBikes yearly pass eventually if I feel the MTB is too annoying to look out for.

·
CEO Product Failure
2,079 Posts
For the budget, I'd look at some used bikes as well.

I just sold a duallie with XT/SLX, recently serviced Fox shocks, King hubs & HS, and the frame has very little wear for ~$600. The chain was TIGHT (nowhere near .5 on the Park tool chain stretch tool). SLX hydro's worked better than XT's and it had a triple upfront.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Broken skewer inside the front wheel??

Hi, so the bike arrived today, the incredible speed of delivery if you asked me.
I just started assembling it now and got stuck on the front wheel.

Is it just me or does it really have a broken skewer inside it? There's no way to insert the quick release skewer that came with it. This is a very noob question, I know, but want to be sure I'm not doing something wrong.

Bicycle part Bicycle drivetrain part Spoke Crankset Gear

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Test Ride

I aligned a plier tip with the axel and hit it softly with the hammer and it moved! I was able to push it out through the other side with the skewer then. Thanks for the tip.

Did a short 10-mile test ride today and happy with the bike so far! The frame is quite big (22"), the biggest one I had for sure but fits me well. Sometimes I was finding myself trying to gear up to increase speed on the road but was already on top gear. Old habits die hard I guess (always had a triple crankset before, now its 2x11). But not a biggie, and I'm satisfied with the feel on road, gravel or forest so far.

Had a small issue with my front disk brake as it was rubbing the disk a bit. Tried adjusting it myself and made improvements but couldn't fix it fully. Since I never had disk brakes before, I went to the bike shop to have it fixed by pros. Turned out the brakes were too close to disk overall, so the guy took the wheel out, pushed the pads away and it was all good.

With another recent price drop (unfortunately I ordered right before that), this is carbon frame SLX/XT bike under $900 including shipping to the US, which I think is a great deal. Took 5 days from order to delivery too, really fast. So can definitely recommend.

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim Wheel

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.