Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
I'm a "beginner" i guess and i'm planning on buying new bikes.
iv got a budget of about 2.7k .
i searched through stuff and thought buying a specialized bike.
I'v got no idea which one to choose out of the following 3 since I'v got barely any experience. i chose them because they were at about the same price and looked cool :D
- Camber Expert
- Stumpjumper FSR Comp
- Pitch Pro

PS: if any one's got another idea I'd be glad to hear it :)
thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well...
you c i'm not really in that whole area yet :\
i'll probably use em to get to school and some Fridays and Saturdays maybe take em for a ride on small hills and forests around.
a friend told me something like all mountain? makes sense?

·
Semi-Hairless Sasquatch
651 Posts
If your primary use is going to be commuting around campus and a bit of off road biking I'd look at a hardtail personally.

An all mountain bike is going to be overkill IMO, and not very efficient for your on pavement/gravel pursuits.

Of the three you listed I'd say the Camber as it's the most multi-use friendly. You could get a heck of a nice new hardtail for half to 2/3 the price (and a nice entry level hardtail for 1/3) though that would be plenty capable for a pretty wide range of trails.

My .02 anyways.

Whatever approach you take to what type of bike you go with, the most important thing is going to be which fits you the best, which feels the most comfortable, and which one feels the best for the types of riding you're going to be doing. I highly recommend demoing the candidates that you think you're interested in and putting them through their paces on the various types of terrains you're going to be riding them on.

·
Semi-Hairless Sasquatch
651 Posts
Camber Expert is 120mm of travel front and rear, comes w/ what I find to be a decent rear shock on this frame, a decent fork that could be significantly upgraded by swapping the damper, has a mid level Shimano drivetrain, mid-level SRAM hydraulic brakes, and mid range stock DTSwiss rims paired w/ sort of crappy hubs. I found the Camber to feel a good bit more efficient and engaged to the trail than the Stumpy FSR

Stumpjumper FSR Comp has 140mm of travel front and rear, the same rear shock as the Camber that doesn't seem to be as good of a match to the frame as it is on the Camber, a pretty good fork w/ a good damper, pretty much mid-range predominately SRAM drivetrain, slightly higher end SRAM hydraulic brakes, and the same mid range DTSwiss rims paired w/ sort of crappy hubs. The Stumpjumper is more capable downhill than the Camber and can eat up more significant rocks, logs, etc. w/o you noticing, but felt kind of dead and slightly boring to me in addition to having more bob in the rear suspension than I liked.

Both are considered trail bikes, w/ the Camber tilting a bit more towards XC geometry and the Stumpjumper more toward AM.

The Camber frame is made from the M4 alloy and the Stumpjumper from M5 which should make it potentially lighter, but my large Camber Pro wound up weighing in slightly over a half pound less than the large Stumpjumper FSR Elite I demo'd for a couple days. Haven't seen a large SJ FSR Comp or Camber Expert on the scales to compare though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks a lot for all the help!
don't seem to have cases of stolen bikes at school unless i leave it till late which i don't.
another thing is my dad's planning on taking them from time to time, (he's actually the one who asked me to look for a full suspension bike).

i still didn't get like the exact difference between the two bikes i'v mentioned :\
i just cant like understand alone when I'm given the descriptions of each bike apart...

·
Semi-Hairless Sasquatch
651 Posts
tomer.sadot said:
i still didn't get like the exact difference between the two bikes i'v mentioned :\
i just cant like understand alone when I'm given the descriptions of each bike apart...
I did the best I could to give a comparo of the two. Best bet is to go out and ride them both on the road and the trail and see what you think.

There's not a huge disparity in the quality of components between the two, both have pretty decent setups overall. Difference in ride dynamics are going to be pretty subjective, but if I had to boil it down to a shorter summary:

Stumpjumper=more squishy, Camber=less squishy

Which will work better for you is a question only you can answer after riding them both.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.