Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I like long rides (100-150 miles a day, and I do at least that on the weekends, 50-70 on the weekdays.

I have XC lycra cycling shorts with pads in them and a Wilderness Trail Bike SST X2 Comfort Zone saddle (not as hard as my old SDG saddles, but still very firm) and my butt is still hurting after rides (and the next day).

Can anybody advice me on what to do? I wear regular gym shorts over my lycra, perhaps a casual XC short to put over for the extra padding?

Or should I adjust the seat? I'm really not sure, but time is of the essence here.

Thanks.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
That's some serious mileage to not be happy with your seat/shorts. Maybe a nice Brooks saddle? Hard to tell you how to adjust your saddle, but I prefer a relatively flat saddle. What cycling shorts are you using? My gym shorts had bulky seams that weren't comfortable, threw 'em all out after I discovered proper bike shorts a very long time ago, never even thought of wearing them on top of a cycling short. I'd think the less layers the more comfortable, at least it's that way for me. A really nice bib short with a high quality chamois like an Assos or Pearl Izumi makes long days in the saddle much more enjoyable for me. Good luck with your comfort quest...

·
Registered
428 Posts
I'm assuming you've been riding for a while but if not... Most of my friends who don't ride much complain about their ass hurting from the seat. I always thought it was just a matter of getting use to the seat.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm using a pair of Gary Fischer shorts circa 2004. I actually just got back into riding (10 days or so) after several knee and back surgeries - I didn't think that would matter.

I just got back from a three hour ride, and my butt doesn't seem to be hurting *after* but it hurt during.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
pearl izumi chamois's (padded shorts) are honestly really worth the extra coin... check out the versa slice short (has the detachable chamois and great outer mtb short)... i've got a couple others but i don't recall the model name... point is - pearl chamois - whatever short they come with (or even stand alone that you wear under whatever you choose) are really quite effective at providing some cushioning...

seat wise - you'll have to experiment... i have a bontrager race, and as much as i hate it (i guess i just want to upgrade ;) ) it's really quite comfy....

unfortunately for seat comfort - it will require some trial and error - since we're all shaped differently...

cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.