1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Raleigh 8.0 2006/2007
Giant XTC SE1 2004
Giant Rainer 2004

Price is not an option. I am looking at all 3 of these and the two giants are used. The Raleigh is new. The XTC has a lot of extras. Just wanting an overall opinion on the best bike between the 3. Maybe a short description as to why. I'm 5'7'' 180lbs. Wanting something that will be able to do a little bit of everything! Thanks.

Charlie

·
Registered
115 Posts
I was in a similar position as you around 6 months ago. I was looking at the Giant and the Raleigh, as well as a Specialized bike. Price was a factor for me, but that aside, I was really torn between the Giant and Raleigh. The spec seemed better and they both seemed more comfortable. I ended up with the Raleigh, which is a M80 (just an older version of the 8.0). I've riden it around 60 miles since I've bought it and I couldn't be happier. The bike, and the shop I bought it from have been great! I couldn't be happier with mine!

Kris

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well thanks for responding. That is the kind of information that I am looking for. The Raleigh dealer is going to give me a 2007 8.0 the same price as the 2006 only for a limited time. Price: $579.00

·
Registered
115 Posts
It is identical as the M80. Take a look at some reviews for it in the Hardtail review section here. The price you were quoted doesn't seem to bad. I got mine as a last year's model for around $520. The compent spec isn't bad at all, especially considering the price. I've riden mine hard and haven't broken anything yet. The fork, while considered entry level, works great for me. Just make sure you have your LBS set it up for your weight and riding style.

Kris

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Check the Raleigh Forum

okibono1982 said:
Does anyone know anything about the Raleigh 8.0?
If you want info on this bike, check the Raleigh/Diamondback forum as well as the reviews section. A quick look at the Raleigh specs tell me that it would be my choice, so long as I were not a larger rider. Reason being is the fork is not spec'd for heavier riders, IMO. The Rainier would be my second choice, so long as it's been well maintained. You also gave no indication of the price of either used bike. That has a major impact on my decision.

Best wishes in finding the right bike.

Bob

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I offered someone with the Giant for $490.00...here are the modified specs of the bike itself. Let me know if it sounds like a good deal.

Frame - 2003/2004 Giant XTC SE1 ALUXX SL Double Butted aluminum
- ST=17" C-T, TT=21.5" actual, 22.5 effective
- One of Giant's lightest frames at 3.2 lbs, and is one of the lighter frames you'll find anywhere!
9 speed LX rapidfire shifter pods - they work great for 1/3 the price!
9 speed XT crank and bottom bracket - all teeth in good condition and the BB spins like new
9 speed XT front derailleur
9 speed XT cassette
9 speed XT rear derailleur - total workhorse, never complains
SRAM PC-58 chain
Wheelset - Shimano Deore XT disc hubs/Mavic X317 rims and Panaracer FireXC tires
Hope Mini hydraulic disc brakes and 6-bolt rotors - these stop....real fast!
Fork - Marzocchi Bomber Z1 with 130mm of buttery smooth, coil sprung travel (one of my favorite forks)
Seat - old-school Vetta with rails made of vanadium, or some other goofy alloy
Bontrager seatpost
Oversize FSA Riser bars w/ Yeti grips
Ritchey PRO OS stem

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.