Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please do not tell me what you like, what is popular, what is great.
I had idiots do that yesterday and i am feed up.
OK, i was having fun for a few years slowly learning, my main bike last year was a 21 pounds 29er, 100 mm HT.
This year my main bike is a 120 mm HT 27.5 + bike and i realy enjoy it. About 3 weeks ago i started having fun in experts trails but i am no expert.
I am just a small 130 pounds outdoor guy without a car, pedaling to the trails and back.
There is no need to name the brand but yesterday i went to a demo and i tried 2 bikes. I hoped for any HT, any fatbike but nada, just the 2019 4,000$US + shitty bikes.
First i was told i need a dropper, they are sooooo grrreat.
That first bike shitty dropper was sliding down.
Than the other bike, well maybe the rear suspension was too soft or too long but i love climbing but not with that bike.
The front suspension was 150mm with 140 rear.
It just felt like any blind could ride that.
Unless you are in an expert trail you might fall asleep, there is no challenge.
From a few years of mountain bike riding and a few demos i just feel the bikes are too complicated too many stuff that will possibly go wrong, just not affordable and reliable.
The 29 rollover is not needed with a long suspension.
Maybe i allready have my sweet ride?
Maybe a 130 HT with 29x2.6?
OK just imagine i do not care about speed, no PR, no gopro, no cell just old school with an Xtra narrow bar and no clue about elevation #s.

After selling 2 bikes i do not use, what might be a decent option for me? I like my fat so my winter is covered.
Thanks.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Get a 27.5+ HT with a dropper post.

A 150mm FS 29er is to much bike for most non lift trails. As you stated a bike with that much travel will 'mute' the trails and take some of the fun out of it.

My 29er has 140mm up front and 135mm in the rear. I didt realize how much it saves my butt until I ride the same trail on my rigid Quick.

EDIT: Dropper posts are that great. IMO if you are riding terrain that requires you to stand up you should get a dropper post. They really do make that much of a difference.
A properly maintained dropper post should not feel squishy. Sounds like they needed service.

·
BOOM goes the dynamite!
6,209 Posts
That's really too bad. Most events I've been to aren't like this, but one was. Luckily I'd been to others first so I knew it wasn't the norm. If the demo bike wasn't maintained or properly set up, you didn't really get to ride the bike.

As for the guys putting you on a long travel FS that you may not have been interested in...I wasn't there, but every time I've gone they always ask what bike I'm looking for or at least what type. If they didn't do that and/or you didn't let them know, now you know for next time.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
My take-away from reading your post is that you already have the right bike for you.

You've now tried other options, which is good, but none check all the boxes like the bike you already own.

Ride on!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.