Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Bikes are good
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have ridden a 5 spot for 7 years. It is my do everything bike. I live in Alaska and ride high alpine, long x-country, techy(ish) downhill. I travel and take the bike with me as it is a great all arounder. I should buy a Sultan because.... (This is where i need your help.) Thanks.

·
bump and grind
707 Posts
Elfbkr50 said:
I have ridden a 5 spot for 7 years. It is my do everything bike. I live in Alaska and ride high alpine, long x-country, techy(ish) downhill. I travel and take the bike with me as it is a great all arounder. I should buy a Sultan because.... (This is where i need your help.) Thanks.
...I am tall and 29 wheels will fit me better, and I want/need a second bike.

Honestly, if you intend to replace the spot with a sultan, I cant think of a reason to ditch a bike you've been perfectly happy with for the past 7 years, has proven performance and durability and has sentimental value to boot. Ok the sultan may be a great bike compared to others out there, but stacked against another Turner, the overall differences can be minimal.

Personally, I would buy a sultan as a second bike. Oh wait, thats exactly what I did. .:thumbsup:

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,319 Posts
cobym2 said:
...I am tall and 29 wheels will fit me better...:thumbsup:
I think this is the best answer, all by itself (to move away from your current small-wheeled sled).

It's the reason I bought a 29er in the first place, but it's not the reason a big cardboard box with "Turner" on the side showed up at my house two days ago. Anyone who's familiar with Turner Suspension Bikes &/or Dave Turner knows why I picked the Sultan to be my next 29er frame. Performance attributes. Design & construction quality. Legendary customer support.

I'll post pics whenever she's built... hopefully within a month. I just bought my way into Club Turner. Looking forward to learning the secret handshake.

--sParty

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
.....It's even better than the 5-Spot in most regards, and I've got the 7-year itch for a new toy, and I'm spoiled for most other brands because I'm used to owning a Turner!

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
cause all the cool kids are doing it.

Really, the difference is very notable between 26 and 29, maybe you will love it, maybe you won't. 2010 was the year that the 29 movement started to really pick up sales, is that group think or proof of superiority? To back up the group think theory, we get calls ALL the time from riders asking about the Sultan 'cause their friends are pushing them toward 29r, and they haven't even ridden the local dealers stuff?!wtf. In support of 'better ride' theory, I just spent 2 days of shock testing with guys from Rock Shox. 1 had never ridden 29, and the other engineer only townie type SSs with zero suspension. They were both amazed at the way the Sultans handled, pedaled and changed the perception of the test loop compared to the RFX and 5 Spot. Will they switch, who knows, but there was a lot of head shaking and positive comments.

DT

·
Registered
501 Posts
because you have damn near worn out that Spot, you ride rooty trails which the Sultan will smooth out and it is time for a change. Besides, your quiver is lacking and you need to round it out . . . snow bike for most of the winter, the Spot to loan out to friends and to keep studs on for those icy rides in the fall, Sultan for epic summer rides.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I had a one year long affair with the DW-Sultan, it was fun, and was definitely an easy bike to ride when the terrain was fast and rough. You could just sit on that thing like it was a barcalounger and cruise, with minimal input required.
However I wound up back on a long travel 26er and I could not be more thrilled. Its lighter, but has more travel, and is better at handling bigger stuff. For me the 29er platform at this point is great for hardtails, fully rigid bikes, and 4" travel full sussers. Wanting a bike that was capable of everything and the kitchen sink kind of riding, a longer travel 26" was the right fit.

·
Registered
462 Posts
The big wheels allow you to carve and flow better corners, rip through trails and are more forgiving on an aging body....

.....Not as fun or easy to fly with though.... On the ride and in the plane. I didn't travel with my 29er last holiday because it wouldn't fit in my travel case without deflation, stan's removed and an overall tighter squeeze. Too much work at each end.

·
psycho cyclo addict
3,184 Posts
turnerbikes said:
Really, the difference is very notable between 26 and 29, maybe you will love it, maybe you won't.

DT
Right on. Personally, I couldn't be happier with my decision to go to the big wheels. An '09 Sultan was my 2nd 29er purchase. I hear a lot of 26er folks say that riding 29er's is not as "exciting". Not quite sure how to quantify that... whatever.

For pedaling efficiency/climbing traction, handling on twisty single track and maintaining control on high speed descents the Sultan rocks.

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
morandi said:
I had a one year long affair with the DW-Sultan, it was fun, and was definitely an easy bike to ride when the terrain was fast and rough. You could just sit on that thing like it was a barcalounger and cruise, with minimal input required.
However I wound up back on a long travel 26er and I could not be more thrilled. Its lighter, but has more travel, and is better at handling bigger stuff. For me the 29er platform at this point is great for hardtails, fully rigid bikes, and 4" travel full sussers. Wanting a bike that was capable of everything and the kitchen sink kind of riding, a longer travel 26" was the right fit.
I found the exact opposite to be true for me. I rode a couple of longer travel 26" bikes last fall back to back with some 29ers and couldn't wait to get back to the Sultan. The 26 bikes didn't hold a line as well, felt squirrelly in the air and were such a chore to pedal.

To the OP: the Sultan is a very capable bike but as you can tell the 29" shell is not for everyone. I'd try to get a test ride, maybe somewhere in your travels there is a homer with one you could demo?

·
Bikes are good
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Commitment

I'm 6'2'' and 215lbs during the riding season. My 5Spot has been nothing but great as long as I keep fixing the stuff that breaks off of it. It seems like a 29r would be a little slower/more sketchy not to go slower, down steep tight techy stuff. However, a good chunk of the stuff I'm riding up here isn't that. I'll definitely keep the Spot (I hope it lives a few more summers.) Every trip I've been on, it has treated me well. I'm saving the coin to pick up the Sultan and have it built up right. They are expensive, but worth every penny. I trust it will be an incredible bike because the Spot has been. What are they weighing (built with sturdy stuff, not the lightest stuff.)? About? Heavier than a Spot? Thanks for the thoughtful replies. This forum is great.

Stroganof-Bike box available in July? BC bike race.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.