Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really don't understand if "spiking" is what I'm having problems with in my '03 JR T. I know this fork is not optimal as far as dampening etc. but it's still solid and simple. Problem is it continually feels "rattley" and loose. I've had the bushings changed already and it makes no difference. It's really noticeable when I'm standing, weighting down the fork into it's travel and rolling at medium speeds...at times like this the fork sends big bumpy vibrations thru to my hands, almost like a loose headset feeling. And no, it is not a loose headset, or anything else like loose bolts. I am a decent wrencher and I know my ride ...this just has me stumped. any thoughts?
Gabe

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
lambhead said:
I really don't understand if "spiking" is what I'm having problems with in my '03 JR T. I know this fork is not optimal as far as dampening etc. but it's still solid and simple. Problem is it continually feels "rattley" and loose. I've had the bushings changed already and it makes no difference. It's really noticeable when I'm standing, weighting down the fork into it's travel and rolling at medium speeds...at times like this the fork sends big bumpy vibrations thru to my hands, almost like a loose headset feeling. And no, it is not a loose headset, or anything else like loose bolts. I am a decent wrencher and I know my ride ...this just has me stumped. any thoughts?
Gabe
Basically, it's when the oil cannot go through the valve hole(s) fast enough, and it "spikes."
You can either reshim the valves, change oil viscosity or put all your settings in the middle and start dialing it in until you get controlled movement throughout the stroke without excessive bottoming (you need to bottom every once in a while) or spiking.

Maybe you have the preload/sag pressure too high; many do this (not saying you are) to compensate for excessive brake dive or pedal induced feedback to the fork, but then you lose small bump sensitivity.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.