Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok here's the deal.

i've decided to start commuting to work every day.

however, i don't have a good road bike.

now i'm just looking for an entry level bike to get me there.

but something of quality.

maybe 700 range.

or even something older i could get off of Ebay, or craigslist.

I could relate this to Mountain Biking if you need me to justify its posting

:p

really helps out all aspects of biking.

i know nothing about road bikes and need some help here is any does know.

tytytytytytyty

·
MTBR Member
3,008 Posts
Go check out what the local shops have to offer. Test some out, it's much easier to get a feel for those in the parking lot than the mtn bikes. I recently got my first road bike and have really enjoyed it. I wasn't ever that interested in it, but it is actually a lot of fun.

·
Registered
270 Posts
no poking fun here im thinking of it too. wish i could help ya with bike choice but i dont know much of them either. id say its the same as mtb's test ride alot and get what feels right:thumbsup: let us know what ya get maybe your reserch will help me pick one :D

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Check out the Kona Dew Deluxe or PHD. I love mine for commuting. Im not into the curly bar thing. The tires they come with are a little big for a road bike. I swapped on a set of 28s and I have over 2000 miles on mine and not a single problem.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
If you want a true road bike, look for 2008 closeouts for your $700. The 2009 models are quite a bit more expensive and you really need closer to $900. You could go online as well but since this is going to be your first road bike, you're probably better off getting the chance to test ride. And don't just tool around the parking lot, road bike test rides should take 15-30 minutes as you make sure your going to be comfortable in the saddle.

If you're looking at more of a "flat bar" road bike, I highly recommend the Jamis Coda line. I have put two close relatives on these and they both love them. The cro-mo steel frame rides like a dream and they are very well equipped bikes for the money.

·
Registered
102 Posts
scralatchtica824 said:
Awesome bike. My friend has it in the cream color and it's pretty sex
It's a great bike, I have it in the brown (boston baked bean / maroon / bloody stool) and it's my reliable commuter. I changed out the headset to a Cane Creek Tank (overkill, but much better than the Richey Comp).

·
Registered
271 Posts
Think about how you're going to carry stuff. I, personally, can't stand wearing a backpack or messenger bag when riding my road bikes. When I commute, I use a rack and panniers fitted to my old rigid mountain bike. If you want a road bike, look for something designed for touring (e.g. Surly Long Haul Trucker, not a Steamroller) that can accept wide tires, fenders, and has enough bosses to easily mount a rear rack.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
ncfisherman said:
Go check out what the local shops have to offer. Test some out, it's much easier to get a feel for those in the parking lot than the mtn bikes.
Check if they have any 2008 or older models in your size.

Road bikes tend to have a little shorter top tubes than mountain bikes, to account for how you mainly grip the different bars.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
windsor bristol off ebay. you're not going to find a better value, anywhere. i looked for months. its 300 bucks, and is spec'd better than a $800 defy or $1000 trek. even if you think the frame sucks, you can dump it and get yourself a nice used carbon name brand frame and still be way ahead (all though i havent had a issue with the windsor frame).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.