Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
There is one trailer (or there was one 4-7 years ago) that had a sling you could attach inside and place an infant in. Surely there was a minimum recommended age on the product.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is one for the chariot but it says not for use while cycling, only in stroller mode. I think if you want to be safe it comes down to can the baby wear a helmet and sit up? My little dude cannot. I know roll overs aren't terribly likely and I know some people do put kids in the trailers without helmets but I would feel a lot better about my sturdy 3 year olds tumbling out helmet-less than my 6mo. But someone had a pic on this site when I searched about trailers and they were putting a baby bucket (car seat) in a chariot - wasn't sure if that was an approved use or not. Further searching says it's not. :)

Have to wait till next summer for the little dude.

Sorry, I couldn't just delete the original post from the record entirely!

·
Registered
150 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm just going to wait till next year to drag him along. He's really small for his age. Not to mention he's usually not even happy in a stroller, he likes to be held and tends to scream for long periods when he isn't. There will be plenty of time next year when he is bigger.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Until you're used to pulling them, a trailer can tip easier than you'd think. Like pulling a trailer w/a vehicle it's easy to clip things if you don't make wide turns and the wheels may be slightly wider than the rider, so watch the edges of sidewalks etc.

The good news though is most of them have a 5 point harness so if you strap them in right, even if it flips upside down, the kid stays put. I had to turn sharp to avoid someone and clipped a curb at about 8-10 mph and rolled mine on it's side. Hopped off at lightning speed and there was the kid hanging sideways killing herself laughing. :D She never came close to wacking her head, but I'm glad I had the helmet on.

·
taking in the scenery
16 Posts
sadpanda.us/images/686767-NM8SOWJ. j p g (photo of baby trailer with modification for car seat) I rode with my baby since 6 months I bought a used Instep trailer for $40, took out the fabric seat back for later, and mounted a plastic tray in the bottom made from a sterilite bin. I'd recommend plywood though! This worked with lots of zip ties, and the weight is supported on the heavy bottom just like the kid's butts would be with the 2 seat fabric back/seat. She loves it! She has been excited about it since day 1. She sleeps and plays in it, and gets out at lots of rest stops (picnic benches, scenic areas, friends houses etc).

When she was 6 months, we just went along like a stroller pace, 2-5mph.

We go about 5-10mph on bike paths and crawl on some smooth nature trails. Pulling the trailer is a lot of work, so usually about 8mph. I put 34tooth granny gear on the bike. We ride about 5-20 miles, usually about 3 hrs total with stops and 10 miles.

I tested it out by putting a 40 lb bag of salt in it before I used it. I couldn't tip it over if I tried, but I guess if you hit one wheel on something or dropped off a curb etc you might.

I put SLIME tubes in with BMX tires for a more cushy ride, and have ordered some Amerityre polyurethane tires ($12 each in 20x1.95, yellow only at sale price, noflattires net, call them)

Now she is getting big and walking, I am going to put the fabric seat-back in the trailer.

·
taking in the scenery
16 Posts
My kid loves riding in the trailer. I like it better than a traditional kid-seat because I use the rear rack to hold a milk crate for food and toys, or spare parts when fixing friends bikes.

I use BMX tires for more cushioning of the trailer. They are heavier, but you can run them at 25psi since the kid and trailer don't weigh much.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't have any concerns with it once he's in the food and toys stage... but right now he's in the pre-crawling not on solids stage. :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Well, I guess I just may be a bad dad, but both of my kids started riding in our Chariot sidecar at ~6 mos. Here's a pic of my daughter at 7 mos asleep after a ride. When they are little I stick to smooth roads and paths...and with the sidecar I have no fear of it tipping like trailers can do if you're not careful.

·
Registered
93 Posts
That is a great pic! Look @ you w/the trainer on the back even!
Thanks! My 4 yo rides the tag-a-long, while his little sis enjoys the sidecar. Rarely are they done before my legs get worn out. One of the best things is when I get to jump on one of my bikes for a solo ride, I feel like I'm cheating. The whole kid rig with kids weighs ~120 pounds. Great for training rides!!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I guess I just may be a bad dad, but both of my kids started riding in our Chariot sidecar at ~6 mos. Here's a pic of my daughter at 7 mos asleep after a ride. When they are little I stick to smooth roads and paths...and with the sidecar I have no fear of it tipping like trailers can do if you're not careful.

Not going to pass judgment on bad dad or not but holy cow is that a cute kid. I have a weakness for bald babies. :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.