Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
recognize the slowness
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very AR and before I make any decisions on what to buy I check and check and triple check into something. So here is the query...

I want to know the consensus on the favorite SS crankset (unique is a plus). I like old school usually oh yeah, I am a clyde currently 6'4" around 215 so I guess that should figure in.:D

·
Registered
494 Posts
I'm 6'3" and weigh 210. I use Profile 180mm cranks with steel spindle. They're heavy, so am I, so it doesn't matter. They are easy and inexpensive to maintain. Oh yeh, you won't flex them.
c

·
recognize the slowness
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been running a 170mm crank for all these years which I knew was too short, do you like the 180s?

·
Registered
494 Posts
I have always run 175s on my bikes-road, cx, mtb. A friend built up his Chameleon for me to ride last year after I had cracked my frame. He used a set of Race Face 180's. I hated the way the bike felt (it was too small for me) but I made some tough climbs-must have been the cranks! I found some used Profiles for $50, they were rusted and beat up, but I spent $20 and had them stripped and powder coated, they're awesome. Oh yeh, they're on my Niner Sir 9, set up for single speed.
c

·
recognize the slowness
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess I may as well be patient and settle on a crank I want even if it needs some work.

thanks carter1

·
Registered
494 Posts
I'm not as knowledgeable about these Profile-bmx type cranks-as others on this board. I know that if buying new, there are other name brands (Poverty?) that are the same crank for much less money. These cranks are so simple and easy to clean and repack the bearings you just can't believe it! Are you sure that you've only ridden 170mm cranks? Most bikes that would even come close to fitting you would come with 175s, I would think.

I know that Shiggy has some form of bmx style crank on most of his bikes. I did a search and read all of his posts on these cranks before I made my decision to try them.
c

·
recognize the slowness
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks 'the monkey'. I have been seeing more of the bling that can swap out the spider on an XTR crank to make it SS. I do like that as a possible option also.

Is carbon a stupid move for a clyde? anyone?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.