Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heads up for those who ride Pleasanton Ridge. I rode today up at P-Ridge and the single track that leads you from the Ridgeline Tr. over to Bay Leaf Tr. (the switchbacks) and the return trail that leads you from Shady Creek Tr. back to Ridgeline Tr. has been scraped and widened. The tractor is still out there. It looks like they are putting in swales and slope reversals to help with the erosion. The trail is really loose so beware.

It sucks for now, but next year it hopefully it will be better.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Go up Golden Eagle, take the single track along the ridge then enter EBRP thru the gate. Go up to the water tank and take the single track. Take a break and take a picture at the bench overlooking the Tri-Valley. Continue north down the steep hill and then onto the single track that runs along the ridge. Cross the dirt road and take the single track over to where you can go either left or right. Its the single track section after you cross the dirt road until you hit the dirt road again which has been worked on .

At some point you can go left or right down, switchbacks in both directions, and end up on Sinbad Canyon Tr. Go up Shady Creek Tr. As you go up Shady Creek Tr. there is a single track to the right which takes you back up to the Ridgeline Tr. That section also has been scraped and widened . The tractor is still there at the top.

Hope this clearly explains where the trail work was occurring.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Super thanks---just where I am heading-last week I was there and he was just scrapping the fire road.--funny I have ridden there for 30 years and have no idea what some of the trails are named----
Could think about Crockett as an alternative but the same thing took place on Sugar City but it probably is getting ridden in

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Nope that trail was fine as it was a week ago and far enough out there are almost no hikers------I have not seen them do this before---always the fireroads and they have removed some illegal single track but this is new

·
my body breaks the falls
1,457 Posts
Kind of a slap in the face to the Boy Scout crew who were out there a little over a year ago with hand tools cutting drainage and slopes for two weekends in a row. I'm sure they were in it for the badges and not the trails, but still...

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Ranger danger----rode the ridge today today and the trails just off to the right by the water tower north of the Golden Eagle trail. We know these are not legal but the main one has been there for many years. Several new ones have popped up recently.

They were using ATV's and hauling logs across the trails intending to close them--(these will just turn into jumps if they do not remove the trail (as they did on Christmas Tree)---did not get a ticket but the info they gave me is concerning.

Seems folks are going up there at night and building new trail---we see them-----worse they have been chain sawing trees down --they showed me several----This is east bay land not Pleasanton City

The vibe I got was this is not going to help any of us and we may see more aggressive enforcement. These rangers were fairly perturbed about this and hard to blame them. And it was obvious they were not supportive of MTB use at all as it caused them to do this work.

Given the local politics and MTB being unorganized compared to other users it would not take much for a bigger enforcement from the locals or even a push to restrict access

·
Registered
291 Posts
If they ban bikes that will literally remove 80% of the users of these trails. GD I hate the east bay and this ridiculous paradigm in which bikers are hated so much. I guess the only remaining safe trails to ride are on city land then?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I would not over react-----but those making new trails in plain view should stop this----I suspect little will change but aggravating those in control is not to our benefit---but note jail break/bones/front nine all go down to city land and are also illegal and the front nine has had city folks down at the bottom to site folks in the past---not sure what land Christmas tree (down by the main entrance) was on but that is gone some time back and there were plenty of tickets given for riding it---along with the surrounding trails---have not seen this recently.
If we can avoid hikers going to the city to complain is to our advantage. Ironically letting us ride these trails almost eliminates conflict but the only fair around here is the county fair

·
Paper or plastic?
10,595 Posts
Riding fireroad creates conflicts. Ebrpd is primarily a ranch acquisition and employee pension accrual operation. Trails are a total afterthought.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
No comment on the pension editorial but yes they acquire ranch land which we would expect as that is what we have here------in my view they have done a very good job in this respect and creating lots of parks--they should get credit for this as we have tons of parks and enormous amounts of open space for a crowded area--but they have not served the bike community well which is sad and will not change

·
Paper or plastic?
10,595 Posts
I don't think they have served the hiking community either. Trails just suck for all. As for the pension, feel free to Google.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
my body breaks the falls
1,457 Posts
they have not served the bike community well which is sad and will not change
Which is why these kids, who we encourage to get off their asses and spend time outside away from video games, are making the trails they want in what appear to them to be endlessly open spaces. I did it as a kid in the orchards and fields around Fremont and my friends in the mountains did it in the back woods.
I've started thinking of the trails situation like marijuana - eventually we'll decriminalize single track too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.