Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did that first climb in middle ring yesterday.. :)
Not nearly as tough as I thought it would be

I have been past by enough people to know that some fly up that thing.
I am curious about others climb times (My best is 14:15)

anyone care to share?
I need a new personal challenge

I'm talking about from the parking lot Gate to the first opening in the fence (gate ?)

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I have never timed myself to that first fence. I used to ride the Ridge often, but haven't done it in some time. I do know that the first part of the climb is steep so congrats on middle ringing up that grade.

·
Old School
1,039 Posts
3034 said:

anyone care to share?

I'm talking about from the parking lot Gate to the first opening in the fence (gate ?)
Funny thing -- I use that same section as a time challenge too. On a good day, I can get up there in under 13. Other days 14 is good. The heat seems to have a lot to do with it.

I also time myself from the staging area to the bench on the knoll at the far end of the park -- just above the Sinbad trails (The bench faces east looking over the valley). On a good day, I can get there in about 35 minutes from the staging area -- taking the Ridgeline trail all the way north.

Anyway...I thought that it was funny we use the same marks.

Cheers~
Joe

·
Paper or plastic?
10,591 Posts
3034 said:

anyone care to share?

If you like climbing challenges, you can always do the Brandon climb from the golf course in Chabot. From memory, it's 1.4 mile, 600'. Chester used to do it in 10'10" or so, but he's one fast mofo. :)

·
Takw/agranofsalt
3,532 Posts
Yeah heat has a lot to do with it. That looong left hander into the late afternoon sun about 3/4's of the way up can be brutal but it's cake once you get past that point. Try SS'ing it some day :)

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Joe Steel said:
Funny thing -- I use that same section as a time challenge too. On a good day, I can get up there in under 13.
Joe
WOW 12 something, thats working. That will be my new goal "in the 12's"
Thanks

I like the idea of going to the VIEW BENCH (timed) I will try that
So you take ridgeline trail all the way, through GATE 19 and I assume you stay right (low route) when leaving Bernal Park?

·
Old School
1,039 Posts
3034 said:
So you take ridgeline trail all the way, through GATE 19 and I assume you stay right (low route) when leaving Bernal Park?
Sorry -- no map in front of me at the moment, but I will try to describe my "timed" route as best I can:

From the staging area up to the first gate at the "top" (time check ~ 13 minutes)
Through the first gate, and staying to the right on Ridgeline ( I believe), going up the steep loose part through the olive grove. Continue straight north on this route -- hitting all the steep climbs.
Through the gate entering the Augustin-Bernal section (dropping through the loose "S" turn). Up the rocky short climb to the section where the Longview route enters to the right and on to the gate that exits the Agustin-Bernal section.
At this gate, I like to take the high route to the left -- short climb to the watertower -- with the two back to back little down hills to the pond.

Pass the pond and up to the view bench. Check time: anywhere in the high 30's is good for me (35-39 minutes) -- although I haven't been "feelin' it" lately ;)

If I'm on a roll and "feelin' it", I'll do the Sinbad loop (counter-clockwise) -- dropping down into the canyon to the west, crossing the creek, turning south (left) and paralleling the creek, crossing back over the creek and doing the steepest climb in the park (up passed the watertower) -- back up to the top. If I can crest the top in a total elapsed time of less than an hour (58-59 minutes) -- I "high five" myself.:)

I would not attempt this route on my singlespeed:p
The only timed portion I'll do on the singlespeed is from the staging area to the first gate.

My times are OK, but there are a number of people who ride out there regularly that can stomp that.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did Pleasanton today..2 hot for the past two weeks
did 12:41 on the climb a personal best by 2 minutes or so

Ok who's next ?

ps they have graded the road even the north end along the creek..nice and smooth

·
Feeling a little taller
6,705 Posts
3034 said:

Ok who's next ?

ps they have graded the road even the north end along the creek..nice and smooth
Did they reopen the park? We were there on Sunday morning and it was "closed due to fire hazard."

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yes, I called the hotline before going over 510-544-2222
the message said "july 31 everything is open"
I'll bet it was opened later sunday morning

Dan'ger said:
Did they reopen the park? We were there on Sunday morning and it was "closed due to fire hazard."

·
Old School
1,039 Posts
Dood....

3034 said:

Ok who's next ?

That's quite a time drop. Congrats.

·
CHOCOLATE NASTIES Baker
1,289 Posts
I'm happy to get in the 17's. My company's former CEO has the record for our group, 12:40. My coworkers and I do a Wednesday ride around 5:30 - 6:00 (depending on the current crisis). We do a "short loop" which usually takes us 45min to 1h 15m depending on who goes.
Route - Up to first gate (pt. 5) for time, stay to the right then left at the fork (pt. 10), stay left until pond and then singletrack to gate (pt. 20), right at "T" intersection and up the switchback (pt. 19 - "Widow Maker" for us), back along the top of the ridge to the car.

Map http://www.ebparks.com/resources/pdf/trails/pleas_ridge_map.pdf

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
tsimbu said:
I'm happy to get in the 17's. My company's former CEO has the record for our group, 12:40.
]
WHAT!.... 1 second faster than me !!!!!... No that doesnt count ...you have to time yourself after I started this thread.... :madman:

I'm the fast one in my group (climbs only) so I need you guys to push me.
Any Big Ring climbers here?

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just go back from Pleasanton...
I did 12:39....the effort I puyt into it made is seem like I would do even better than yesterday..guess I'm tired
perfect weather for riding

·
CHOCOLATE NASTIES Baker
1,289 Posts
I'll be out there tonight around 6:00pm with one of my coworkers if anyone wants to tag along. I'll be on the blue Chameleon. Definitely will be a slow pace so newbies welcome.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
how many miles to this gate? i go there constantly and do about an 8 mile loop, but i dont remember seeing a gate.. i stay left the whole time to the top about 4 or 5 miles up, or wander off for the single track..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.