Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
AKA jefftron3000
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to check out the snow level up HWY 108, near my home in Sonora, so I went for a little ride near Lyon's Reservoir on Sunday.

Parked in Sugar Pine and dropped down to the old railroad grade on a fun trail with some nice water bar jumps, then pedaled the 5 miles or so to Lyon's Reservoir. Found the lake covered in a solid sheet of ice. Crossed the dam and rode up and over the steep climb to the Forest Circus road, since some recent logging has demolished a big chunk of the trail around the lake. Climbed up towards Pinball on the dirt road near the partially frozen South Fork of the Stanislaus.

Hit Pinball in great conditions.

The whole route was about 80% snow free and the trail more so.

I hardly even got muddy, since everything was frozen solid.

Topped out at about 5500'.

I was totally comfortable in knickers and long sleeves.

The snow was hanging around on the north facing aspects, but since this trail generally follows the top of a ridge it hardly had any snow on it.

I normally write off this trail from mid-November to April, because it is usually covered in snow during that time.

The lack of any real significant snow fall, so far, this season means most of the trails in this area are still rideable to about 6000'

It won't last for ever.

I'm going up towards Crandall Peak again tomorrow, or the next day, if anyone wants to come with.

Happy Trails!

P.S. - sorry, no pics. I promise to bring the digi next go around.

·
OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
6,154 Posts
Been trying to talk JDT into going up there.

Is that you Boatman? I was thinking about trying Pinball out just the other day and I couldn't talk Joseph into it. He wanted to go to some test ride deal in the Bay area :p I might be able to get up there Sunday if you are interested. I have a 29er MC coming that I want to try out :) (Although I don't know about riding Pinball for my first rigid SS ride on a brand new bike)

·
AKA jefftron3000
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Boatman here.....

Hey Ogre-

I would be down to ride Sunday. Just checked the 10 day forecast....looks like it going to stay clear for awhile. The conditions will only get better. I'll be riding again in that area tomorrow, or the next day, and will scout out some more trails. Report on conditions pending.

New MC 29er huh.... well I'm probably not the best guy to talk you out of riding Pinball on rigid singlespeed, since I've been known to partake in such strange pleasures. Although now I'm a total sissy on my 3 speed.

·
Registered
723 Posts
The Good Old Days

Reminds of the good old days before bikes when I used to see how far up I could go on my XL 250. It's been too long since I have been up in that area. Good to hear from you Boatman and good to hear someone is enjoying the 108 area on a regular basis. I may have a window to get up there this spring, probably the middle of April.

·
AKA jefftron3000
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
get it while the getting is good!

Hey Fred-

If the weather holds, you guys should rally and come have some fun in the hills!

Beautiful blue skies right now, but a little chilly.

Getting started is the hardest part, but once you are going all is good.

As I mentioned before, the frozen ground means a lot less mud.

Hey Vince-

Your comment reminds me of stories some of the old timers;) tell about being able ride dirt all over the area on 2-strokes in the 60s and 70s.

Sounded like a blast!

The next time you are up near the old homestead, look me up and we'll go ride.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Your killing me here

Thanks a lot Jeff for posting a vivid description of a place I have a mental block on until the snow comes and goes.Arrgggg! Going up there is soooo tempting for me so stop it already. I plan on seeing that place a hole lot when the snow melts off the top of PC. With a lot of the Bay boy getting full sissy and 29er's I am already hitting them up for PC/DC drops.

I am all tied up with my Wedding planning and details for the next 6 weeks. I will look forward to your Pics/report on some of the new findings that we have been taking about.

You guys go and have fun.

·
ol'guy who says hi &waves
2,546 Posts
0gre said:
You want to carpool? Meet at the AMPM in Oakdale? Sunday maybe 8AM? Jeff... that would put us in Sugar Pine around 8:45-9AM. Where do you start from?

I don't know if I'll do the SS thang or not. Fred what are you riding?
No SS for me on this ride. I'm bringing the 29er HT. I waited 7 months for some real knobby tires just for the Sierras' The last times we went to Pinball and Eagle Creek, I was white knuckled and skidding everywhere.

I am so stoked! These new Panaracer Pampages are so awesome. This will be the first outing they were intended for...just 4 months early...woo-hoo!

Name the time and place...I am there ! ! ! :rockon:

·
AKA jefftron3000
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hate to do this to you Joseph......

......well actually I don't really mind.

Here a few 108 shots from days past, to bring back some memories:

coming down Hammill Canyon
Natural environment Natural landscape Plant community Trail Wilderness

off the top of Crandall Peak
Natural environment Plant community Soil Woody plant Forest

bouncing down the Pinball Trail
Vegetation Natural environment Plant community Soil Natural landscape

dropping in next to the stairs at Lyons Reservoir a couple weeks ago
Stairs Winter Snow Outdoor recreation Downhill mountain biking

looking at Eagle Peak from the top of Eagle Pass.....oops, sorry you guys have never ridden that one - disregard!:eekster: :D
Mountainous landforms Highland Hill Slope Soil

to the rest of the crew.....

I down to ride whenever on Sunday. You guys are the ones doing all the driving, but keep in mind that it will be warmer/nicer a little later in the day.

·
OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
6,154 Posts
mountainboat said:
I down to ride whenever on Sunday. You guys are the ones doing all the driving, but keep in mind that it will be warmer/nicer a little later in the day.
Nice pics, That Eagle Peak one is intriguing, I thought you said it kind of sucked up there? All hike a bike and no fun?

Fred? Oakdale 9:30AM?

·
2,546 Posts
WTF? I get out to bike commute to work this morning and it rained last night. Did I miss that forecast or the weatherman? It had to have snowed on Pinball if any precip fell there and it won't be melting any time soon with these temps.

So if mountain(speed)boat wants to drag a snowblower ahead of us, it's all good.

Ogre, would it be more convenient for you to meet at the 120/108 split like last time?

·
OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
6,154 Posts
How much snow?

fred-da-trog said:
WTF? I get out to bike commute to work this morning and it rained last night. Did I miss that forecast or the weatherman? It had to have snowed on Pinball if any precip fell there and it won't be melting any time soon with these temps.

So if mountain(speed)boat wants to drag a snowblower ahead of us, it's all good.

Ogre, would it be more convenient for you to meet at the 120/108 split like last time?
An inch or so of snow wouldn't be too bad would it? I'm more worried about ice :eekster:

If Pinball is snowed in there are some other trails we can check out. So at the 120/108 split at 9:30. Jeff I'll give you a call.

Yeah meeting at the 120/108 split is a great idea. Saves me a bit of driving anyhow.

·
AKA jefftron3000
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
nothing to see here.....move along

0gre said:
Nice pics, That Eagle Peak one is intriguing, I thought you said it kind of sucked up there? All hike a bike and no fun?

.......well it is definitely a hike-a-bike, but I don't know about the other parts!

err,uhh.....actually it all sucks up here!

I recommend you not even bother with the horrible trails in this area. They are all too narrow and covered in rocks and roots. Not a single well-graded, highly manicured, or nicely paved path around. Just horrible!

Others reading, or looking at pictures, about trails in this area should just forget they ever saw them, go make a big batch of nachos, and watch re-runs of American Idol..... A far better way to spend your time! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
737 Posts
Drooling

What a jerk posting such pictures. This is so not cool posting this area to a Trog during the winter months. What a big teases you are Jeff.

The PinBall shot is my favorite. Keep up the good work.

·
AKA jefftron3000
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Rain in the Valley!?

.....gee, the more I here about that place, the more I'm tempted to pack up and move. ;)

No rain up here...or snow for that matter.

Just blue skies and warming temps.

Went and rode Pinball again today, except this time I went up to the top of Crandall Peak first.

Getting warmer, and the ground is thawing out. More mud on the trail than last time, but still not too bad.

Here are some pics:

ice skating anyone?
Body of water Nature Blue Natural environment Natural landscape

South Fork of the Stanislaus above Lyon's
Nature Water resources Water Natural landscape Rock

rolling down the grade
Natural landscape Plant community Soil Bedrock Wilderness

on top of Crandall Peak looking at Pinecrest Peak and Dodge Ridge
Mountainous landforms Plant community Mountain range Mountain Wilderness

the Dardanelles and Beardsley Reservoir from Crandall Peak
Vegetation Mountainous landforms Branch Mountain range Natural landscape

·
AKA jefftron3000
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
the 411 on meeting in the 209 off 108

Hey Fred-

"wee folks?"....I don't get it. You didn't seem that short to me when we met!

Anyhoo, I don't know of any laws in the National Forest prohibiting midgets and short folks from weekday use, but its probably there....you just have to dig through the buracracy to find it.

If you guys are still planning on meeting at the 108/120 junction at 9:30 on Sunday, how about we hookup at Papa's New Roost about 3-4 miles east from the end of the bypass on 108, on the right, before Soulsbyville.

It's a restaurant where I will be attempting to clog my arteries with gravy before the ride.

Probably get their around 9:00 if anyone wants to show up earlier and grub.

Otherwise we can just meet in Sugar Pine around 10:15?

Park across the street from Cafe 108 (formerly Kelly's Kitchen) and we will drop down to the railroad grade from there.

·
2,546 Posts
Near as I can tell, at this point, there are 3-7 of us.

Those frozen pictures have a few riders on the fence.

See ya there.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.