Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sitting at work, its absolutely gorgeous out, I so bad want to come down "with a fever" and go ride! Its only 10am! Oh well maybe tomorrow I will come down with singletrackitis... anyone feeling the same way today?

·
Supervixen
82 Posts
Not today...

My office is on the 12th floor of an office building across the river from Boston. I can see the high spots of two local riding areas from my desk. On a nice day, being able to see those spots from here is torture. Today, the humidity haze is so thick, I don't feel like I'm missing much.

flyhigh said:
Sitting at work, its absolutely gorgeous out, I so bad want to come down "with a fever" and go ride! Its only 10am! Oh well maybe tomorrow I will come down with singletrackitis... anyone feeling the same way today?

·
Slothful dirt hippie
2,900 Posts
Sympathy!

I'm sitting here with bike shoes on, the camelback loaded in a corner of the cube, and the Surly Cross- Check home transport machine is leaning against some filing cabinets just SCREAMING to do something grossly irresponsible instead of working an 8.5 to 10 hour day AGAIN.

FWIW, I discovered the name of the surly the other day: The Green Tortise. Because it's green, because I'm slow, but mostly because it provides an alternate reality while traveling on the road. :cool:

·
Registered
200 Posts
I rode to work on my bike today

saw a deer and a fox and swans on a pond....
never wanted to reach my destination - work

I can sympathize...

QUOTE=flyhigh]Sitting at work, its absolutely gorgeous out, I so bad want to come down "with a fever" and go ride! Its only 10am! Oh well maybe tomorrow I will come down with singletrackitis... anyone feeling the same way today?[/QUOTE]

·
Slothful dirt hippie
2,900 Posts
I'm there too- we had a 4 point buck in velvet, his spike friend, and a fawn provide this morning's "gridlock" while driving in. I'll be riding that section home, but I'm wishing I was out dodging deer w/ the bike instead!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the view

Crankypants said:
My office is on the 12th floor of an office building across the river from Boston. I can see the high spots of two local riding areas from my desk. On a nice day, being able to see those spots from here is torture. Today, the humidity haze is so thick, I don't feel like I'm missing much.
Looking at the fells??

·
~*~*~*~*~
590 Posts
The spring & fall are the most tempting times to play hooky. The spring, because I've waited all winter, and the fall because the evening are so short. In the summer it is nice to ride in the evening because it has cooled off. I'm lucky though because the owner of the business is a nice guy and as long as you get your work done and are up front with him, he'll let things like leaving work early once in a while slide.
Today is nasty! I'm about 30 miles north of Boston (waving out my window at Crankypants) and it is steamy, but I'll be riding this evening. Got the bike in the car waiting. Took the camelback out of the car though. Last time I forgot and was drinking hot water on the ride yuk! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
691 Posts
Call in "well".

flyhigh said:
It has been 20 years, so I just can't remember where, but in one of Thomas Wolfe's or Harold Robbin's novels the main character decided to "call in well" because he felt just too damn good to go to work!

I was always tempted to give it a try, but am retired now, so I don't need even that excuse.

John W.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
great idea

papajohn said:
It has been 20 years, so I just can't remember where, but in one of Thomas Wolfe's or Harold Robbin's novels the main character decided to "call in well" because he felt just too damn good to go to work!

I was always tempted to give it a try, but am retired now, so I don't need even that excuse.

John W.
I dont think Ive actually ever been too sick to work..I dont make a habit of it, but I take a day or 2 a year to call in "well"...or with an "Eye problem" as in I dont SEE myself coming into work.....hey Crankypants and Old Broad, Im out near Worcester myself...ready for the traffic next week?

·
Registered
922 Posts
I played hookie yesterday to take 40 inner city kids mountain biking. We only have 14 bikes so we had to ride in shifts to get them all out on the 2.5 mile loop in 2 hours.

Like said above, spring and fall are when the bikes call me away from work the most.

·
Supervixen
82 Posts
Bring it on!

Old Broad should be safe up in the wilds of Southern NH. I ride to work most days anyway, so the driving won't be a problem. The only thing I'm worried about is dealing with frustrated motorists. People tend to do more stupid life-endagering (my life, that is) things when the traffic is bad. It'll be interesting...

flyhigh said:
hey Crankypants and Old Broad, Im out near Worcester myself...ready for the traffic next week?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.