Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The main bolts the hold the V-brake onto the frame/fork are 100% tightened but yet there is still forward and backwards play in them.

They have over 1500 miles and I've been riding them decently hard since last Aug.
They been through just about every condition due to our different seasons here in Oregon.

They are stock brakes.

Bike still brakes fine though!
Are there bushing I need to replace or are these brakes done?

THX

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
Oyy i haven't dealt with V-Brakes in a long while. The bolt will only go to the post & it will not tighten any more. There should be a spacer between the bolt & V-Arm. There is a bushing between the V-Arm & post & yes that can get worn where it has play because of the extreme load applied when braking. :cool:

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
K so my bushings are done then.

I think I'm going to take everything apart and check it out.

They've been squeeling for awhile so its possible they were worn out awhile ago.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
dogonfr said:
For the squealing try cleaning the rim where the shoes contact & they are adjusted properly. :)
I've done it a hundred times and it works for maybe one ride.
The toe in or even toe out never took care of it. Cleaning gets me the best results but again as soon as the slightest amount of anything start getting on the rim they'll sing under hard braking.

The brakes themselves are vibrating too much due to the play I believe.

EDIT:
Called the LBS today and they claim pretty much all newer V-brakes have a forward and rear play. The bushing is a brass bushing and it hardly every needs replacement.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Play in the bushing on new v-brakes was certainly true on Avids when I bought them a couple of years ago. I found it disconcerting but put up with it at first and now don't notice it. There were a number of old threads when people who changed from Shimano to Avid Vs changed back again because of this.

Tim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.