Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 Redline Monocog. I just had it at the shop the other day, because I noticed some minimal side to side movement in ther rear wheel after cleaning the bike the other day. I got it back yesterday, rode and it seemed fine. After tonights ride, it seems to have come back, I don't witness the side to side movement, but can hear it moving back and forth when I try to and then when I set the bike down, it seems to feel loose then too. Someone suggested it may be a bad freewheel, any ideas or suggestions?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
First make sure that you have the bolts or skewer cranked down super tight. I've had what I thought was hub play that ended up being a skewer (crappy one) that would work loose over rough terrain.

If that's not it, check the hub. Hopefully it's got a design that's easy to tighten up. Do it incrementally - ie, don't just crank it down as tight as possible. S

·
Steamroller
1,227 Posts
In case you did not know

You likely know this, but just in case.......The Monocog has a BMX width rear hub. I hope you will be able to fix the one you have, if you need to replace it you will need to go with the narrower hub. There are a lot of nice BMX cassette or freewheel hubs you could use but you will likely have to build a wheel. 26" wheels on those hubs are pretty scarce.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Mattman said:
You likely know this, but just in case.......The Monocog has a BMX width rear hub. I hope you will be able to fix the one you have, if you need to replace it you will need to go with the narrower hub. There are a lot of nice BMX cassette or freewheel hubs you could use but you will likely have to build a wheel. 26" wheels on those hubs are pretty scarce.
I don't understand why you would have to build a specific wheel. I found some Shimano BMX hubs on Sheldon Browns Harris Cyclery website that are the correct width (110 spacing), why wouldn't that work fine? I've got the original set of wheels off of it, and don't understand if they came with that size hub why I would have to build a new wheel to fit the same size hub of a different brand?

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
I believe what Matt was trying to tell you was that you may not be able to buy an off the shelf 26" wheel with a BMX width hub and that instead you will need to get a wheel built to suit.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TR said:
I believe what Matt was trying to tell you was that you may not be able to buy an off the shelf 26" wheel with a BMX width hub and that instead you will need to get a wheel built to suit.
And all I am asking is, since I already have a wheel that is suited for that on the bike now, can't I just find an appropriate hub and put it in?

·
Steamroller
1,227 Posts
Possible but not ideal

Monocog Man said:
And all I am asking is, since I already have a wheel that is suited for that on the bike now, can't I just find an appropriate hub and put it in?
You could, but most people would build a new wheel. The hubs is the part most often reused. Spokes and rims seldom are, but they could be if they are in good shape.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mattman said:
You could, but most people would build a new wheel. The hubs is the part most often reused. Spokes and rims seldom are, but they could be if they are in good shape.
I don't have any reason to believe that the wheels are in bad shape at all. The bike hasn't been ridden much at all untill I did the upgrades this spring.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Monocog Man said:
I don't have any reason to believe that the wheels are in bad shape at all. The bike hasn't been ridden much at all untill I did the upgrades this spring.
I had the same problem with my monocog rear hub. the hub seemed to loosen itself after a while. when the hub is loose and there is play from side to side, you can hear it. when you bounce the rear it sounds hollow, not good. i had to have it tightened probably once or twice a month. it requires two cone wrenches, one for each side, and requires a special touch to get it tight, but not too tight to bind up the bearings in the hub.

i ended up replacing the rear wheel with a redline cassette hub made by formula and laced it to a Mavic 517. the Alex rim that comes with the monocog is tough as nails but is a boat anchor back there (alex has the DH 19 listed at 520 grams per rim and my 517 is listed between 395 and 405 depending on where you look).

you mentioned the Shimano DX hubs earlier, which would be a good option. the hub that comes with the monocog is prone to problems. but as was mentioned above, it would be highly unlikely to find a prebuilt 26 inch wheel with a BMX hub. so you would have to have one built up or do it yourself.

good luck with the wheel

·
Registered
618 Posts
My 04 monocog did the same thing. I got my shop to tighten it up once, with the dual cone-wrench method mentioned above, and never thought about it again. It never loosened again in like 8 months of riding or so before I sold it.

So there. :p

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SSSasky said:
My 04 monocog did the same thing. I got my shop to tighten it up once, with the dual cone-wrench method mentioned above, and never thought about it again. It never loosened again in like 8 months of riding or so before I sold it.

So there. :p
It would be wonderful if that would be my luck. I've had it to the shop once, and I'm going to call them tomorrow to see exactly what they did to it, and then go from there. Thanks for the post, you brightened my day!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.