Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Old, Slow and now FAT! :)
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to measure my sit bones to check into a new saddle. I was wondering how to do it then I remembered I have kids!

I stole some of their Play-Doh and rolled it on a cutting board. I covered it with some wrap and then sat on it with my naked ass . I simulated some cycling and the results were better than I could hope!

Measuring from the center to center of the depressions I get 85mm so I'm narrow. That's good as I have narrow saddles on my current bikes

·
Registered
5,960 Posts
Holy crap

great freakin idea.

I used the side of a box with thick walls. I had to pull down to leave my a$$ print

·
Registered
9,668 Posts
Nice idea, I just used foil on a carpeted stair.

Put a bb in each so they rolled to the center of each depression and measured.

·
Registered
114 Posts
While this is good joke fodder, it is also a brilliant idea! You can easily check it again to see if it is repeatable. I do recommend throwing it away afterwards. I'm going to need a lot of Playdoh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
While this is good joke fodder, it is also a brilliant idea! You can easily check it again to see if it is repeatable. I do recommend throwing it away afterwards.
I wouldn't worry about throwing it away. Just cover it in cling wrap. Works a treat.

Your right about being repeatable. I did this a couple of times to double check the measurements. It worked really well.

·
~ B A D A S S ~
3,236 Posts
so which width is the best for 85mm?? is there a list?

I remember doing this with styrofoam.

·
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That depends on the seat. I like WTB saddles and based on this the Volt in 135 mm is the best. The Rocket in 142 could also work.

http://www.wtb.com/pages/wtb-saddle-fit-system

I have a four year old volt that is pretty comfy and I just picked up anew team Volt (Ti). The new one does not feel as comfy yet so I think it needs some break in time.

·
Registered
5,960 Posts
That depends on the seat. I like WTB saddles and based on this the Volt in 135 mm is the best. The Rocket in 142 could also work.

WTB Saddle Fit System | WTB

I have a four year old volt that is pretty comfy and I just picked up anew team Volt (Ti). The new one does not feel as comfy yet so I think it needs some break in time.
sometimes the guides are ok, but you have like how it feels. By many guides (WTB, Spec, etc) I should be fine on a 130 or 133 mm. In reality, I hate the 130 mm range. I much prefer 140+. I guess I don't measure to be a fata$$, but in reality, I am one :)

·
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'd be interested in knowing by what definition people rate "comfy". I'm not sure I would rate any of my saddles super comfy, they all feel a bit hard. But, after a 5+ hour ride my bum is not sore and I can still walk. So while I would not sale my saddles are comfy, I think they are probably right for me as they don't kill me... :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
OP, you are awesome. Out of all my comfort concerns(the rest I've ironed out) the saddle is the one lingering issue.

I know off rode we stand more but I ride on paved trails to get to the off rode trails, about half and half. So after roughly 25-30 miles my ass begins to hurt on the long rides.

Look forward to trying the play doh out and finding a good fit.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'd be interested in knowing by what definition people rate "comfy". I'm not sure I would rate any of my saddles super comfy, they all feel a bit hard. But, after a 5+ hour ride my bum is not sore and I can still walk. So while I would not sale my saddles are comfy, I think they are probably right for me as they don't kill me... :)
I have long rides also, half paved half trails and I often do have pain in my rear. I can walk fine, but usually if I go to ride the next day I'll be sore.

I have no idea where to look for saddle as stated in other threads it's hard to beagle to give advice as it's different for everyone

·
Turns right, slides left
662 Posts
Wal Mart Store Manager- "What the hell? Our Play-Doh sales are up 45% this month"

Seriously, this is a great idea! Thanks for sharing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts