Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a new convert to the ss 29er scene I understand the efficiency of clipless pedals. However, since I find myself walking a WHOLE lot more that on a geared 26er ;-), I like the ease of the platform pedals that came stock on my monocog. What I don't like is that my feet bounce off the platforms and I loose alot of control. Should I suck it up and put my clipless pedals on my monocog? Would upgrading to better platform pedals be worthwhile and make a noticeable difference?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I too started on 26 inch full rigid ss recently, and realized that when standing, pulling up the pedal together with rocking the handle bars and pushing down the other pedal all at the same time with rythm is very important on extended climbs. I think a bigger pain on the climb is just a matter of fact ss. Build up your strength over time and you won't regret that you went with clipless. My 2 cents.

·
V-Shaped Rut
3,178 Posts
Clipless, no question. You can even set them very loose so you can get out easily, but you'll probably find that your fitness will improve very quickly riding SS and you're walking a lot less.

·
US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
2,033 Posts
platforms,32x22 (wuz 32x20,going back to it sooner),squishy front.

lst time i wuz going over the bars (i try and get one good,hard crash annually:p ),there's no way a normal human (or slightly warped one like me) could have possibly unclipped and jumped over,and set thier body up to take off running in the nano-second available...gyroscopic wuz in full effect.

power grips anyone?

·
Registered
820 Posts
Clipless may be more efficient, but it's not something I've had the balls to do,off road yet.
Better shoes help yer grip a lot; you want something with gummy soles, that really grip well. I've learned to spin a lot better with this combo than when I was riding clipless, road.
For whatever reason, if I ride plats, my iliotibial band syndrome doesn't flare up at all.
Only takes 12-16 miles clipped in for it to do so, which was very instrumental in making me ditch clipless. Another reason is, both my bikes are 'general purpose', which means I might ride my SS down to the store. Being clipped in is a PITA in this setting, though I know there are many who do it.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
My SS trailbike is geared pretty low but I still need the extra boost of clipless for climbing some spots.

On a gearie bike you can just shift down and winch yourself up slowly. Singlespeed, you need all the power you can get.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Clipless gives you more power, no question. Still, I really like the feel of big, grippy platform pedals. I feel more connected to the bike and the trail. Most important of all, though, they don't cause me any lower back pain. Clipless pedals, because of the "pulling" capacity, simply kill by back. That, of course, is an entirely personal problem.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Clipless is the only way to ride a single speed off road. I never realized how much I pulled up on the pedals until I tried my 29er running 32x18 on its maiden voyage. Try crank brother candys. Easy release,stable platform.

·
Dinner for wolves
1,567 Posts
PowerGrips

I have used PowerGrips one my SS 26er and Karate Monkey with very good results. If you are tight for cash, they are a great $25 solution. They loosely represent something of a middle ground between platforms and clipless.

·
Registered
906 Posts
longhaultrucker said:
platforms,32x22 (wuz 32x20,going back to it sooner),squishy front.

lst time i wuz going over the bars (i try and get one good,hard crash annually:p ),there's no way a normal human (or slightly warped one like me) could have possibly unclipped and jumped over,and set thier body up to take off running in the nano-second available...gyroscopic wuz in full effect.

power grips anyone?
I've hopped over the bars to avoid stopping with my face a few times in my clipless pedals. Clipping out when it hits the fan becomes second nature very quickly.

·
Got single track/speed?
205 Posts
Clipless for sure. If you're riding any kind of challenging terrain, most likely your gearing is at any given moment too low or too high. You'll need to be able to pull up or pedal circles to get up a tough climb or spin a high cadence on flatter sections.

Since you're asking, you know the answer already. Some people will never be convinced no matter what. There is learning curve, but after a few tip overs you'll get it. :)

-Chuck

·
Registered
171 Posts
I drove for an hour and a half to get to some trails today, and got there and discovered I'd left my shoes at home. :(

Anyway, long story short, I pinched a pair of flats of another bike, and rode with them.

It truly sucked.

Felt like I had no power on the climbs. I did get to take advantage of them and get my foot out in some sam hill moto style drifts (tm) on the downs though.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Climbing on platform pedals is definitely different from climbing with clipless, but don't be put off by the initial 'no power!' feel. I feel platform pedals are advantageous in a broad range of situations, especially when things get technical, which is where ss bikes truly shine. Then again, people like Steve Peat never, ever unclip, even in the most dire of circumstances... I guess it's all personal.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.