Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm pretty new to this forum and definitely a newbie mtb rider. I've purchased an Ibex Alpine 650 and I'm starting to get it dialed in. I'm no hot dogger/huck meister and will be riding easy single track and dirt roads. I also have big plans to do some back road touring, especially the Great Divide Mtn Bike Route (Canada to Mexico).

I've only had the bike out a few times so far and have liked the fat Wellgo platforms that are on it now--no straps or clips. I was wondering what folks thought about just riding all the time with the naked platforms. The ease of use is quite seductive--as are the various positions I can get with the open platform. I've used clipless extensively on other bikes, but I intend to use a comfortable, low-top trail shoe for mtb. riding so I can walk, push, do whatever with comfort. At least that's the plan right now. Today I put on some nylon cages and straps, but they seem, at this point, more hassle than they're worth. So what's your experience on doing long miles with just the platforms? Is this a reasonable way to go? Any experience/input appreciated. Thanks in advance for you thoughts!

Scott
Just gettin' dirty

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
thoughts

a reasonable platform with sealed bearings is a very good alternative, with a good sticky-soled shoe like 5-10, it's almost as good as clipless. Clipless and toe straps will work for more power in racing and uphills FWIW.

...warning, local pedal fashion police and clipless weenies will comment, beyond their need to comment, on using flats.

do what works for you, to he// with them. ;)

Jim

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

for the replies. I'm going to keep riding on them for a while. I've also got some Speedplay Frogs on my recumbent that I'll play around with, too. I'm content to just see how things play out.

Cheers,

Scott

·
Lurker
192 Posts
I use platforms all the time jus cause i was reared in the 80s bmx era (and clipless jus plain scare me). Ive done 100 mile rides on platform with no problems but a 2470 mile route zigzags over the divide multiple times with a total of over 200,000 feet of climbing with out toeclips or clipless i jus think you asking for a hurting. Yea iam sure the clipless clan will be here to flame us soon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.