No one mentioned these yet...

Brown Amber Machine Rectangle Square

Azonic 420

Extruded body
CNC machined
DU/sealed bearings
W33 & V9 Pins
Weight: 430g with pins (pair)

I bought these last year, mostly because I had good luck with their A-Frame pedal, so I thought I would give these a try ( and they match my Outlaw rims ). I'm impressed. The bearings spin smooth as the day I installed them. No play, no slip, nice wide platform pedal and they take a ton of abuse. And only $75 on Pricepoint currently.

·
Registered
251 Posts
i vote point 1 podiums - the guys are great, they are a little expensive but you get what you pay for, i ran mine all summer and they held up great, low profile, great pin placement, with 510s i didnt see a need for the longer pins, they look dope, they feel BIG because of the size of the platform which is nice on my size 12 feet - i could not be more stoked on a flat pedal...

·
Registered
167 Posts
Pretty machined anodized pedals look killer, but personally I'd rather spend the money elsewhere. Shadow Conspiracy Ravagers work for me. Thinner than most other plastic platforms, light, and after 100+ miles holding up just fine. Granted not as super-sticky as metal pins, but more shin-friendly, and no slipping yet. Don't know how good they'd be in wet/muddy, but I don't have that here in SoCal

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
in add'n to older, thick pedals (tioga etc), I own 3 pairs of modern pedals i.e. thin profile: point1 podiums, kona wah wahs, and cromo spindle prerunners.

all 3 are good pedals; all are quite different, with pros/cons.

- the wah-wah has a big ass platform, great for big feet, and feels amazingly secure with stealth and non-stealth rubber shoes. the weight is heavier than some of the blingy options. durability (bushing, and pedal body) has been good...mine have been hammered for 2 years now. and the price is right. the big platform size means that sometimes (rare) i get a rock strike i'm not expecting e.g. when rising forward to crank on a flat section, or other situations when the pedal is not horizontal.

- the podium has a very thin cross section w/ no pins under the ball of foot area. Combined with the overall shape, and beveled edges, i almost never hit the rocks with these pedals. Manages to be relatively light and super tough. I think these will last a very long time. However, I don't like these pedals with non-stealth soles; not enough grip. Also, the very pronounced hump on the alu body near the spindle base means you can't position your foot in close to the crank arm. On my DH bike, that's a non-issue, but on my AM bike that gets pedalled up long-ass climbs, i much prefer to have my feet a little closer together.

- the cromo twenty6 prerunner is a good all-round pedal. pins get mangled pretty easily. it doesn't have the thin feel of the podiums, but it does have more pins and more grip. and for a FR bike that gets pedalled uphill, these pedals are nice since you can position your foot anywhere on the pedal -- no hump. i didn't mind paying $160 for mine, but the regular retail price is kinda high for a part that you know will get beaten on. Have heard bad things about the Ti version from local riders.

so bottom line for me is that the Podium is my favorite DH pedal, the Prerunner is my favorite AM/FR pedal, and the Kona is a great all-round pedal that I'll continue to use, and will recommend to anyone looking for a good pedal under $100.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Austrian Platform Pedals those wacky Germans

Some new CNC pedal work out of Austria / Germany with keywords: "FR Reset Big Fat Flat Pinking". I have a feeling we're in a new level of pedal design - less lazy slapping on brand name on the exact same pedals (made by HT & Wellgo). :madmax: :rolleyes: :eek:

Collage Craft Creative arts Bronze

·
Registered
875 Posts
kubikeman said:
Azonic 420

Extruded body
CNC machined
DU/sealed bearings
W33 & V9 Pins
Weight: 430g with pins (pair)

I bought these last year, mostly because I had good luck with their A-Frame pedal, so I thought I would give these a try ( and they match my Outlaw rims ). I'm impressed. The bearings spin smooth as the day I installed them. No play, no slip, nice wide platform pedal and they take a ton of abuse. And only $75 on Pricepoint currently.
I used these for a while until I rode my buds bike with Deity Decoys on it... Mucho better grip on the Deities. I now ride Deities.

·
Now with More Wood
2,964 Posts
frorider said:
in add'n to older, thick pedals (tioga etc), I own 3 pairs of modern pedals i.e. thin profile: point1 podiums, kona wah wahs, and cromo spindle prerunners.

all 3 are good pedals; all are quite different, with pros/cons.

- the wah-wah has a big ass platform, great for big feet, and feels amazingly secure with stealth and non-stealth rubber shoes. the weight is heavier than some of the blingy options. durability (bushing, and pedal body) has been good...mine have been hammered for 2 years now. and the price is right. the big platform size means that sometimes (rare) i get a rock strike i'm not expecting e.g. when rising forward to crank on a flat section, or other situations when the pedal is not horizontal.

- the podium has a very thin cross section w/ no pins under the ball of foot area. Combined with the overall shape, and beveled edges, i almost never hit the rocks with these pedals. Manages to be relatively light and super tough. I think these will last a very long time. However, I don't like these pedals with non-stealth soles; not enough grip. Also, the very pronounced hump on the alu body near the spindle base means you can't position your foot in close to the crank arm. On my DH bike, that's a non-issue, but on my AM bike that gets pedalled up long-ass climbs, i much prefer to have my feet a little closer together.

- the cromo twenty6 prerunner is a good all-round pedal. pins get mangled pretty easily. it doesn't have the thin feel of the podiums, but it does have more pins and more grip. and for a FR bike that gets pedalled uphill, these pedals are nice since you can position your foot anywhere on the pedal -- no hump. i didn't mind paying $160 for mine, but the regular retail price is kinda high for a part that you know will get beaten on. Have heard bad things about the Ti version from local riders.

so bottom line for me is that the Podium is my favorite DH pedal, the Prerunner is my favorite AM/FR pedal, and the Kona is a great all-round pedal that I'll continue to use, and will recommend to anyone looking for a good pedal under $100.
Actually, based on reading your own review, the Wah-wah's are the best. :D

Seriously - the point about the 2 pins under the ball of the foot, I think this is a small little difference that gets overlooked. Yes, this body is basically a catalogue part used by many others - BUT - I think only Kona adds the 2 pins in the middle. Don't know how big a difference this makes, but I do know that I like my Wah-wah's.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
SofaKingHigh: Sweet! Wow, great build, and then the $15 pedals. I wondered what was going on with my riding crew switching to JCPC pedals (the ones sandwiched together without bearings) on their full suspension rigs. Do you have a height? I imagine those plastic pedals are a lot thicker than typical alloys since they need to add more material for strength (fiberglass polycarbonate plastic).

·
Registered
77 Posts
illnacord said:
SofaKingHigh: Sweet! Wow, great build, and then the $15 pedals. I wondered what was going on with my riding crew switching to JCPC pedals (the ones sandwiched together without bearings) on their full suspension rigs. Do you have a height? I imagine those plastic pedals are a lot thicker than typical alloys since they need to add more material for strength (fiberglass polycarbonate plastic).
17mm

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
More platform pedals

Top to bottom:

- Straitline JC Platform Pedals
- Atomlab Pimplite Pedals
- Macneil pedals (copied the Atomlab Pimp pedals)
- Twenty6 Prerunner 2010 urban camo
- Eclat pedals
- Fly Bikes Ruben plastic "graphite" pc pedals

:eekster:

... still undecided. But I think the consumer has a good number of choices ... hmmm.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Wellgo MG-1: bang for the buck

Wellgo MG-1: bang for the buck contender (why one would buy plastic test pedals over the MG1's as they're the same price point?) Similar to the Tioga MX Comp pedals, except the Wellgo's come in white silver purple and have titanium axle upgrades prevalently available.

Dat Piff:
Auto part Machine Automotive engine part Transmission part Silver

41 - 60 of 2296 Posts