Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2261 - 2280 of 2286 Posts

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,262
Xpedo Trident

From the pinkbike coverage: "The Trident is a totally new pedal platform for Xpedo and takes up the mantle from where the Spry left off. It's also Xpedo's thinnest ever platform as it shave 1mm off the Spry to come in at 10mm. The forged body pedal has dimensions of 114x109 and weighs 342 grams/pair. The pedals will retail at $119 but an upgrade to this oil slick bass boat colour scheme will incur an extra $30 cost."

How many other large platform pedals are 10mm or thinner? If you go from 10mm pedals, and back up to chunky Brooklyn Machine Works, it's like wearing platform heels when riding; the performance of thin pedals so you're near the axle, is evident when you do this butt testing.

Photo below of the Trident pedal
Trident Xpedo.jpg

·
Registered
471 Posts
Can anybody attest to the durability of HT's newer Evo+ bushing system? I wanted to give them consideration for a lightweight all Mtn build, and I love the stealth black look, but have my doubts regarding the maintenance needed to keep them running smooth. Reasonable price too, unlessninget Ti axle.

Other lightweights I am considering are the Spry and Vault Mag Ti. On the Sprys, I'd most certainly swap in some grub screws with loctite...thinking that would solve the grip issues people have, and I dont much like the glossy black and gold look for my build...but price is right. For the Vaults, I don't love the gold/black look, but could ditch the gold pins and be okay...and I'm guessing the concave grip/feel would be better than others mentioned here, at cost of more rock strikes and $$.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Can anybody attest to the durability of HT's newer Evo+ bushing system? I wanted to give them consideration for a lightweight all Mtn build, and I love the stealth black look, but have my doubts regarding the maintenance needed to keep them running smooth. Reasonable price too, unlessninget Ti axle.

Other lightweights I am considering are the Spry and Vault Mag Ti. On the Sprys, I'd most certainly swap in some grub screws with loctite...thinking that would solve the grip issues people have, and I dont much like the glossy black and gold look for my build...but price is right. For the Vaults, I don't love the gold/black look, but could ditch the gold pins and be okay...and I'm guessing the concave grip/feel would be better than others mentioned here, at cost of more rock strikes and $$.
Consider the VP Harrier. In the Altitude version it's even more light weight.

·
Big M, Little organ.
266 Posts

I currently run the ME03s. I'm not sure what makes the Evo bushings different than any other bushing. That being said, they good, grippy pedals that are lightweight. They seem to be sealed well if you ride in the wet. Not as grippy as Oneup aluminum (which are crazy) but still good. Magnesium bodies can get beat up by rocks but so far the ME03s are holding up well.

Ran the sprys for a while. I even replaced the pins with their split tips and the traction wasn't enough. They just don't have enough pins IMO.

Be cautious going with titanium spindles unless you are very light. Most ti pedals have a weight limit, usually well under 200lb.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I currently run the ME03s. I'm not sure what makes the Evo bushings different than any other bushing. That being said, they good, grippy pedals that are lightweight. They seem to be sealed well if you ride in the wet. Not as grippy as Oneup aluminum (which are crazy) but still good. Magnesium bodies can get beat up by rocks but so far the ME03s are holding up well.

Ran the sprys for a while. I even replaced the pins with their split tips and the traction wasn't enough. They just don't have enough pins IMO.

Be cautious going with titanium spindles unless you are very light. Most ti pedals have a weight limit, usually well under 200lb.

Cool. Just a high number of reviews on vender websites and so forth complaining about having to rebuild frequently, so that was/is making me skeptical.

And fortunately I weigh only 150lbs and dont do big air/drops like I used to, so ti should be no problem...

It's down to the Vault Mag Ti and ME03 (or ME03T) now.

Edit: HT is out. Buddy was just telling me how much he liked them, but needs to rebuild. No thanks. Ha

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,267
Burgtec joins composite pedal race

All right, new old pedal from a classic company call burgtec and they are joining the composite pedal race including one-up, Crank Brothers. While not the largest platform the aesthetics and the shape are near identical to the MK4 it clones, which is a $150 alloy pedal. Also, lots of rich matte colors.

Burgtec Composite Penthouse Mk4 specifications
Material: Recyclable nylon/fiberglass composite
Platform size: 101mm x 96.8mm
Profile: 17.96mm
Axle: SCM415 Cromo
Pins: 16 x 16mm pins per pedal
Dish: 2.8mm
Bearings: 1 x bearing race, 1 x split bushing
Weight: 380g pair
Colours: yellow, blue, white, purple, brown, red, black, orange
Price: <$50
Available: 4th April 2019

Photo below from singletrack:
stw-2019-01-31-DSC07911-1800x1200.jpg

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
471 Posts
I ordered a set of deity Blade Runner as well as the HTME03. I like both. Alternating back-and-forth I notice no difference in feel or grip, which is a good thing because the grip is a solid 9 out of 10 and the thin profile minimize is roc strikes. I haven't ridden enough to determine durability but I already know that the Blade Runner will outlast your bike before needing any service. The HT magnesium short is light! I ordered the titanium axle to install but I'm gonna wait until I feel like they need a refresh before tearing into them and installing the titanium.

Cool. Just a high number of reviews on vender websites and so forth complaining about having to rebuild frequently, so that was/is making me skeptical.

And fortunately I weigh only 150lbs and dont do big air/drops like I used to, so ti should be no problem...

It's down to the Vault Mag Ti and ME03 (or ME03T) now.

Edit: HT is out. Buddy was just telling me how much he liked them, but needs to rebuild. No thanks. Ha

·
Registered
471 Posts
Well, not shocked but a bit bummed...the HTs already feel like they need a rebuild. They sure are light...just not sure if the weight savings is worth the "roughness"...feels like metal on metal.

For anybody not counting grams, the Diety Bladerunner is a much better alternative for a thin flat pedal.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Big M, Little organ.
266 Posts
Well, not shocked but a bit bummed...the HTs already feel like they need a rebuild. They sure are light...just not sure if the weight savings is worth the "roughness"...feels like metal on metal.

For anybody not counting grams, the Diety Bladerunner is a much better alternative for a thin flat pedal.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
How many miles do you have on the ME03s? I have a few hundred on mine and so far-so good.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,273
The HTs have nice bodies and CNC work on the aluminum but the bearings are tiny and blow up. They're def. disposable and if you're looking for a platform pedal, try to find a pedal/brand that offers rebuild kits easily readily available online. I like DMR Brendogs for that reason - the DMR kits for pins and rebuilds are all over the place so you're not left stranded.

dmr vault grey.jpg

The same cannot be said about other boutique pedals. If you're looking at HT you can pretty much get equivalent disposable pedals on ebay for $30-40, same build and anodization with an OEM generic name.

If you're looking for composite plastic pedals (the value is decreasing due to the amount of alloy equivalents available) check out the review off-site MTBR at Gravel Bike. It's a "$50 pedal roundup:"

https://www.gravelbike.com/50-flat-pedal-roundup/

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
I went back to my meo3 because i had wanted a thinner pedal to counter the low bottom bracket. Grip is decent, has NO feel, and the aluminum puns don't last at all. It also developed a creak. Im going back to the tmacs. Its just more enjoyable and sure footed despite the weight. Im interested the the vaults but at this point after having tried so many pedals, the tmac is the way to go and the oneup composites are the best bang for the buck.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Glad to Be Alive
42,968 Posts
I went back to my meo3 because i had wanted a thinner pedal to counter the low bottom bracket. Grip is decent, has NO feel, and the aluminum puns don't last at all. It also developed a creak. Im going back to the tmacs. Its just more enjoyable and sure footed despite the weight. Im interested the the vaults but at this point after having tried so many pedals, the tmac is the way to go and the oneup composites are the best bang for the buck.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
try the Canfield Crampons.....they last and last

·
Registered
45 Posts
The HTs have nice bodies and CNC work on the aluminum but the bearings are tiny and blow up. They're def. disposable and if you're looking for a platform pedal, try to find a pedal/brand that offers rebuild kits easily readily available online. I like DMR Brendogs for that reason - the DMR kits for pins and rebuilds are all over the place so you're not left stranded.

View attachment 1282505

The same cannot be said about other boutique pedals. If you're looking at HT you can pretty much get equivalent disposable pedals on ebay for $30-40, same build and anodization with an OEM generic name.

If you're looking for composite plastic pedals (the value is decreasing due to the amount of alloy equivalents available) check out the review off-site MTBR at Gravel Bike. It's a "$50 pedal roundup:"

https://www.gravelbike.com/50-flat-pedal-roundup/
+1 on the DMR vaults grip like a mofo and pins are easy to replace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
try the Canfield Crampons.....they last and last
AMEN to that Bro! Good to see you on here! The pins... not so much tho (as with any flat pedal). I checked mine last night and half the pins were gone, LOL! Still kept me on the pedals tho!!! There is not a better pedal on the planet and that is just absolute fact.

Cheers,

G

·
Registered
601 Posts
Loving my new nukeproof horizon pro Sam Hills. My Strateline defactos are also perfect after 4 years of abuse.

2261 - 2280 of 2286 Posts