Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Anyone have any recommendations on a Platform Pedal that accepts Toeclips AND uses sealed bearings.

Most the threads talk about platforms without toeclips...

Any ideas ???

For those of us that can NOT use clipless due to our wide, poor or Hot Foot conditions...

Thanks,

MG

·
Registered
778 Posts
Ahhhhhhhhhh! No toe clips! Not worth it for mountain biking at all, in my opinion. Too much of a risk. They aren't as reliable or easy as clips to get out of. I would just go with toeclip-less platforms, in that case. If you want more grip then try some 5.10s, and maybe go for a orthopedic insole for better support and fit.

I wouldn't even use toeclips for road use either...

Are you sure you can't find any shoes that would work for you?

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
If you mean a pinned type platform pedal, I wouldn't think toeclips/straps wouldn't work very well. That said, in the platform pedal thread you posted in in the beginner's forum there's someone who's using Power Grips on a platform pedal, so that may also be able to take a clip/strap if you want to give it a look.

·
one chain, two sprockets
355 Posts
Today, there are very few people running toe clips, so expect correspondingly skewed responses. I run toe clips on my 1989 Wicked Fat Chance, with old school Suntour XC sealed pedals. I think toe clips rock, but it comes down to what you're used to. Here is the closest pedal still available (not sealed, but grease-guard so you simply pump clean grease in - and they're only $34!).
Black-and-white Monochrome Monochrome photography Machine Drawing

I have a size 14 foot, so these pedals are a bit small front-to-back. When I mounted the toe clip I used long bolts and a plate cut from a scrap pedal cage to space the clips forward about 1/2". This was all I needed for 14's, and I've been testing this set-up for 19 years! I'll take a picture of my pedals if you need it.

As to modern platforms, you'll have to choose a pedal that will easily accept the clips. This one has vertical leading/trailing edges (photo for example only):
White Technology Black Black-and-white Metal

So, you could easily bolt-on clips.

This one has a parallelogram profile, a very common design (photo for example only):
Photograph White Style Black-and-white Black

So "if" the pedal has suitable bolt holes to mount clips, you'd need to adapt the angled leading edge to vertical (some pedal manufacturers used to supply adaptors to meet the CPSC reflector requirement - check with your local shop to see if they can give you a few if you find a pedal you like that need them...).

Good luck, and ride on...

Tom P.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
tomsmoto said:
its not a fashion thing. they're just dangerous.

if you're capable of wearing shoes, you can ride clipless.
Dangerous? I don't know about that, depends on what and how you ride, used them for years before clipless came along. Then you have trouble adjusting a bb7, too...:D He has said he's having trouble with fitting in the clipless shoes he's tried (that might be in the other thread, though). There's still a number of guys riding in clips/straps, tho...

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
It's called humor, tom.
Anyhow, there are a variety of shoes -other than the pointy featherweight xc shoes- that may fit a wider foot. I personally have a super wide foot and have a pair of Sidi's that don't bother me, you must have pancakes for feet dude..

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Toe clips being dangerous is a myth. I've ridden them for years, and can get in or out much faster, and with greater confidence than the clipless riders I ride with. It's second nature. I'm much more comfortable on the gnarliest terrain with my feat in the clips. In contrast, you'll find that many clipless riders recommend clipping out before they attempt the gnar. You'll also find a lot of posts about injuries due to clipless pedals. Not so with toe clips.

Having said that, I just got a new bike and will be switching to clipless as soon as my shoes come in the mail this week. I'm hoping the alleged efficiency gain makes it worth my trouble. I'll let you know.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.