Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Push Industries is going to service the DHX 5 coil. I am getting a Nomad. One of the Offerings for this shock is a Race option which is a complete revalve and other goodies. Those of you that have the DHX 5 Coil, do you use the Pro Pedal or do you Turn it off. This Race Tune up gets rid of the Pro Pedal function. Another tune up offering is they enhance the shock leaving the Pro pedal function in tact. The race Cost about $50.00 more.
I really want this shock to work well with the Nomad.
Darren if your out there, please respond and explain the diff.
Everyone else, I would like your oppinion too.
I will use this for mostly trail riding. 4 to 6 may be 7 footers.
Thanks,
M.C.tigre

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
MCtigre said:
Push Industries is going to service the DHX 5 coil. I am getting a Nomad. One of the Offerings for this shock is a Race option which is a complete revalve and other goodies. Those of you that have the DHX 5 Coil, do you use the Pro Pedal or do you Turn it off. This Race Tune up gets rid of the Pro Pedal function. Another tune up offering is they enhance the shock leaving the Pro pedal function in tact. The race Cost about $50.00 more.
I really want this shock to work well with the Nomad.
Darren if your out there, please respond and explain the diff.
Everyone else, I would like your oppinion too.
I will use this for mostly trail riding. 4 to 6 may be 7 footers.
Thanks,
M.C.tigre
If the DHX performs similar or better then my Rocco then I'd get rid of the ProPedal if I was you. My Rocco has no platform and I don't feel any bob at all, when I look at the link while pedaling fast on asphalt I can see it move a tiny bit. Really I think bob is not a concern at all on the Nomad, platform are useless on it in my opinion.

·
Registered
61 Posts
i am also riding the roco which has no platform. I agree that there is minimal bob, and the lack of a platform makes the suspension a lot more active and enjoyable over little stuff. I recommend getting the race option.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I'm trying to decide between an Rocco and a DHX coil for my Nomad. I like that I could get the DHX pushed and I don't care about bob while pedaling. However I want to get rid of the wallow I get on my Float R. Does the Rocco wallow through rolling terrain?

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
artnshel said:
I'm trying to decide between an Rocco and a DHX coil for my Nomad. I like that I could get the DHX pushed and I don't care about bob while pedaling. However I want to get rid of the wallow I get on my Float R. Does the Rocco wallow through rolling terrain?
I'm not sure what you mean by by wallow. I have the Rocco and FloatR for my Nomad, neither bobs but both probably kind of "wallow". I don't know what bike you were riding before but don't forget the Nomad has 6.5" of travel so it will definitely more active then a 4" bike. The Rocco's action feels more "controled" at higher speed then the Float. At low speed, on small bumps the Rocco is more plush but on bigger bumps it's mostly a wash. Climbing technical terrain the Rocco definetly has the edge. The suspension absorbs great so you do much less spining then with the Float. Hope that helps a bit.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
BanzaiRider said:
I'm not sure what you mean by by wallow. I have the Rocco and FloatR for my Nomad, neither bobs but both probably kind of "wallow". I don't know what bike you were riding before but don't forget the Nomad has 6.5" of travel so it will definitely more active then a 4" bike. The Rocco's action feels more "controled" at higher speed then the Float. At low speed, on small bumps the Rocco is more plush but on bigger bumps it's mostly a wash. Climbing technical terrain the Rocco definetly has the edge. The suspension absorbs great so you do much less spining then with the Float. Hope that helps a bit.
Thanks for trying to put the differences into words. Hearing about the climbing edge is nice.

To me wallow is what some longer travel bikes do over rolling terrain changes. My previous 5.7" bike had a Pushed Vanilla R with some platform and it didn't wallow but wasn't as plush as the Nomad either and it had a coil.

I'd like to hear Darren explanation of the two levels of trim for DHX coil too. I know he tuned one specifically for a Nomad and has tried a Rocco as well for comparison

If he doesn't chime in soon, I'll try calling for more info..

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
You guys are making me work weekends

Howdy gang. As for the DHX tuning options I'll give you the basic breakdown.

The Factory Tuning System is better suited for bikes that lack mechanical progressiveness and are complimented by the progressive nature of the Fox Boost Valve.

The Factory Race System is better suited for bikes that DO HAVE a progressive linkage rate and are complimented ny a more linear non-boost valve system.

The Nomad and its VPP design give you both mechanical efficiency as well as excellent mechanical bottoming resistance due to it's high rising rate suspension linkage. The Factory Tuning System will get you much better suspension performance from your bike. The Factory Race System on the Nomad will allow you to shred all over your friends. :eek: :D

Darren

Attachments

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Darren,
Thanks for the reply and the explination. I will have you put the Race abilities to My shock ASAP:thumbsup: . Are You taking DHX 5 shocks NOW!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks,
M.C.tigre
Everyone else, thanks for your input.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Using DHAir, propedall off. Excellent pedaling seated and out of saddle.
But hey, Darren said it all.

However, any updates on the pivots/bearings kit for Nomad? I heard it in the plan.

Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.