Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gang,
I'm new to this forum, but wanted to jump in here because I thought you might dig this fork I'm tinkering around with in the process of building myself a new bike over the winter. Don't know how it rides yet, but I'll bundle up and find out tonight -- whoohoo! 12 degrees here in Pennsylvania today!
Tom Oswald

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
wow you really are picking THE COLDEST day this year for a ride eh?

that fork looks sweet! show us some more custom built PA love (where's the rest of it? ;) ).... if your ever in philly i'd love to check it out in person! i could give you a sweet singletrack tour as well.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Oswald said:
Hey, when I've got a new toy not even Mean Old Man Winter is gonna stop me from going out to play.
Hey Oz, first rate work, mate. Looks beautiful. That yellow fillet brazed model in the gallery has a certain glow to it that looks simply lovely. The decorative stainless work there is very nice as well, and I very much like your track ends and transition from stays to drops on many of your frames. That's not really a bullet cap is it? Very slick.

Oh, & you may want to revise the hyperlink in your sig. The link (not the text) is missing the "s".

Keep up the great work!

·
minister of chaos
312 Posts
Oswald,

Your link in your sig is messed up. it links to oswaldcyclework.com (missing the 's' at the end of work).

Nice looking frames, by the way.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fellas,
Thanks for the kind words and the heads up on my sig link problem. If people are interested, I'll report on how the fork rides and post some updates as I make progress on the rest of the build. But for now, I'm going back to work.
Tom

·
Registered
995 Posts
Oswald said:
Fellas,
Thanks for the kind words and the heads up on my sig link problem. If people are interested, I'll report on how the fork rides and post some updates as I make progress on the rest of the build. But for now, I'm going back to work.
Tom
We certainly are! :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
kustomz said:
So what is the story on the plate design, rigidity or resiliance? I have seen some that use it front and rear.
I mostly chose it for its distinctive looks. But, if anything, I suspect it might feel a bit more springy than a tubular or box shaped crown. We'll find out tonight. I hadn't thought about doing the back end the same way, but that pic you posted got those gears turning in my head. Thanks!
Tom

·
Registered
386 Posts
Oswald said:
I mostly chose it for its distinctive looks. But, if anything, I suspect it might feel a bit more springy than a tubular or box shaped crown. We'll find out tonight. I hadn't thought about doing the back end the same way, but that pic you posted got those gears turning in my head. Thanks!
Tom
Really cool. Approximate weight would be nice too, like within a hundred grams or so. Just a balpark. thanks!

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Very Cool Fork!

I really like the old "bi-plane", plate crown fork look. I remember that Bridgestone had a plate crown fork on one or two of their 26 inch wheeled mtb's back in the day. I knew a guy that used to bring his into the shop I used to work at back then. I remember grabbing the front brake and rocking the bike back and forth. The flex at the crown was quite noticeable. A fork could probably be designed to be quite stiff just as easily with a plate crown, it just depends on what the designer wants.

Very good looking fork, I will be looking for that ride report!

·
No Justice = No Peace
1,512 Posts
wow

I really love the custom lugs and gussetts. Such beautiful bikes and I'm confident he ride is superbe. Are you heading to the handmade bike show in San Jose this winter? I would love to see these beautiful things up close.

·
Compulsive Bike Builder
1,512 Posts
Do I see disc tabs?

Do I see disc brake tabs? I certainly do not see canti stud mounts. A disc only plate fork would be very cool indeed. I love the juxtaposition of the old and the new, please post more updates.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Guitar Ted said:
I remember that Bridgestone had a plate crown fork on one or two of their 26 inch wheeled mtb's back in the day. I knew a guy that used to bring his into the shop I used to work at back then. I remember grabbing the front brake and rocking the bike back and forth. The flex at the crown was quite noticeable. A fork could probably be designed to be quite stiff just as easily with a plate crown, it just depends on what the designer wants.
Yeah, two parallel plates just won't be as resistant to torsion as a tubular or box structure. But personally I think in this situation a little "give" is a good thing. You're also right that the design should offer a bit of tuneability by using different plate thicknesses, scooping out more or less metal from the area between the blades and the steerer, and maybe even varying the gap between the plates.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.