Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Nothing new here, they had plastic flats back in the early 80's. They seemed fine then. I imagine you'll be fine with them now. That said, I prefer the Straitlines with sharp pins. They are grippier than gorilla snot and will never break.

·
crashes in parkinglot
1,257 Posts
underwaterexplosions said:
BMXers all use them now and lately there has been a trend of landing flat from fairly large heights. IDK what do you think? Obvious strength issue, but obvious weight savings.

Here's one with metal pins if you're worried about grip.
http://www.odysseybmx.com/catalog/pedals/jcpc/

I think I'm gonna try em.
They look interesting, but I have pedals that thick already. I like the replaceable halfs and the ability to costomize the colors, and pin length, but I'd never use it. I'm looking for thinner pedals. Canfield Bros and Point1 are at the top of my list right now (I don't destroy pedals so spending a 150-160 isn't a big concern for me). Super thin is my biggest concern.

·
meow meow
10,622 Posts
EricTheRed said:
They look interesting, but I have pedals that thick already. I like the replaceable halfs and the ability to costomize the colors, and pin length, but I'd never use it. I'm looking for thinner pedals. Canfield Bros and Point1 are at the top of my list right now (I don't destroy pedals so spending a 150-160 isn't a big concern for me). Super thin is my biggest concern.
twenty6? not as thin but still pretty thin and light.

·
Danarchy.
107 Posts
Hehe, Plastic pedals are a sore subject for me. My friend and I were taking a trip from the Old Croton Dam to Central Park and back again, which one way turned out to be 40+ miles, and we were tearing down Warburton Ave. in Yonkers when we jumped up on the sidewalk due to a load of traffic in the street. The sidewalk was clear and there weren't any people around so I was able to jump on the sidewalk for about 150 feet or so just to bypass the congestion in the road. Anyway there was a break in the curb where a lady's driveway sloped down so I seized the opportunity and rode up on it at the same speed. Little did I know I kinda under steered and totally side swiped the fence (ouch). I stayed on my bike and was happy I did so because that definitely would have hurt if I ate concrete...Long story short when I did all that it teared the pedal right off the axle and scattered the bearings all over the sidewalk and her grass. Well my solution to the problem was just to add more plastic to an already plastic pedal (please refer to picture) and I rode the rest of the way down to Grand Central (10 +/-miles) just like that....and as I got off my bike at GC, the last tie-wrap broke off. Figures..

Attachments

·
I Have Cookies
2,644 Posts
the kids @ my local SP love em.......But they are cheap and these kids' are in High School....(Poor)

·
Registered
109 Posts
PC pedals

i've had a few pairs of the plastic pedals, all cost under $20. Compared to metals, they're couple ounces lighter & not nearly as slippery as I thought could be even when its muddy wet. if you bang rocks or do grinds much u will go thru a pair of PC pedals real quick -- the pins on mine just started to disappear (snapped clean off). Rumor is some company's coming out w/ PC pedals that actually have replaceable metal pins, for the weight geeks more common in bmx nowdays.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Found out that the JCPCs are actually going to come in at 478g.
My Fly Rubens are 447g.
I'll stick with the Rubens. Pricewise massive difference, but I already own the Flys and have now for quite a few years. Best pedal I've ever owned. Switching them from my BMX to my MTB is the only real pain, but it's minor.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.