Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some battery packs aren't really waterproofed very effectively, so a good plastic dip is in order. This is after 3 coats in Plasti Dip. Seems like decent stuff.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will add that you shouldn't overdo it. My batteries fit pretty snug in their nylon pouches now. They still go in with some wiggling, but another coat and I would have been in trouble. :)

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
gmcttr said:
That's the stuff I used. I got it at Lowe's in the paint section. It was in the rack with the spray paints. You slowly lower the battery pack down into the can of liquid, then slowly (over the course of about 15-20 seconds) lift the battery back out. Hang it up for about 45 minutes, and then repeat.

·
Registered
32 Posts
with some, you can cold dip or warm dip to adjust for thickness. I cold (<40f) dipped mine to get it the first time. Setting it on a heater vent or in the sunlight would help warm, and thin, the dip. Here in the NE, I left the can outside in the garage for a few hours.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
I just finished my 2nd coat. It's about 55*. Too thick - wish I had bought some of the solvent on the can and thinned it out a little bit. way thick on the top. Anyway, it will probably work, but not as well as if it had been 75* out or thinned.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
If you're careful, you can stretch out yor MS battery case just enought to fit a slightly "overdipped" battery.
Stretch it in each direction gently, (like you would a shirt or baseball cap that just came out of the dryer) and you should be good to go. :thumbsup:

Great news on the taillight Geoman, keep us posted!!

·
parts leftover
997 Posts
I need to waterproof a few batteries and came across this thread. So even though the batteries are susceptible to water, completely submerging them into liquid plastic won't hurt them?

Do I need to seal anything up on the pack first before dunking them? Seems odd, but worth a shot so long as the results are good.

·
Registered
46 Posts
schlim said:
I need to waterproof a few batteries and came across this thread. So even though the batteries are susceptible to water, completely submerging them into liquid plastic won't hurt them?

Do I need to seal anything up on the pack first before dunking them? Seems odd, but worth a shot so long as the results are good.
Well the liquid plastic, while it is a liquid, is a very viscus liquid (think molasses) that will not penetrate the very small gap at the top and bottom of the battery pack. Waters viscosity on the other hand is almost nil, so it will slip through tiny cracks and openings to short out electronics.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.