Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
featherweight clydesdale
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my plastic bushing is broken, cracked up during cassette removal, new cassette, I put it on, took it off, bushing destroyed. Directions state the bushing is critical to the noise-free function of your cassette.

Can I run the cassette without the bushing?

Cassette # FW2TPA-101 - its the 11sp w/ the single steel ring. Directions in the box of course show the model with three steel rings. I'll vent on that later.

·
Biking Like Crazy!
1,466 Posts
No.The smaller cog set needs the bushing to center itself around the free hub.
Without it the smaller cogs will probably screw up the free hub, hence the critical wording.

Let us know if e*thirteen sells them as mine is cracked but usable.

·
featherweight clydesdale
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My cassette is brand new...

I was hoping "noise free" was the critical wording because I can deal with freehub noise. I did note the lack of centering but was thinking I could manually center and tighten up/chain whip the smaller cluster to the large and it might be good to go. I do have concern about possible lateral stress on the free hub if that bushing is meant to carry any load when in the smaller cogs.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts

I was hoping "noise free" was the critical wording because I can deal with freehub noise. I did note the lack of centering but was thinking I could manually center and tighten up/chain whip the smaller cluster to the large and it might be good to go. I do have concern about possible lateral stress on the free hub if that bushing is meant to carry any load when in the smaller cogs.
I never had e13, but they have a good reputation regarding support. Just contact them and they may send you a new one under warranty.

·
Biking Like Crazy!
1,466 Posts

I think that's what the bushing is for. Seems "critical" to me.

·
featherweight clydesdale
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Following up, my LBS communicated with E13 and the bushing was replaced. So that's solid customer service.

If I could make a recommendation to E13. I own three TRS+ 11sp cassettes. One of the selling points is that part of the cassette is supposed to be replaceable to avoid buying a whole new cassette. But none of the parts from the three different cassettes are compatible. The name should be changed from to TRS+ to TRTb or whatever when the product is revised instead of just assigning a different obscure model number.

I know there is also the TRS race cassettes, and that's not one of the 3 I'm mentioning.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.