Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
solid gold plated
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking to get myself a bashgaurd and was wondering what you guys made of the plastic ones?

are they actually able to take knocks as well as more traditional metal bashgaurds or will it snap clean in two as soon as i hit somthing?

im mainly looking at the Blackspire C4 Ring God, any of you had experience with this, is it a strong bash gaurd?

cheers :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I have two different plastic bash guards and...

I have two different plastic bash guards and both have been bullit proof. On my downhill/freeride bike I have an E.Thirteen and on my all mountain bike I have my favorite, a Gamutt P20 bashguard which is quite a bit lighter than the E.Thirteen. I don't have any experience with the Blackspire but their products are known for being burly and taking a lot of abuse. I'm willing to bet their bashguard will hold up. I did have a Blackspire aluminum bashguard once and it was pretty much indestructible. Modern plastics are not what they used to be! :thumbsup:

·
solid gold plated
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cheers for the replies!

i did think about an e13, but i saw this blackspire one for £15 quid cheaper so thought id give that a try.

i checked on their website, and they seem quite disparaging about the plastic bashring itself, claiming that "plastic bashgaurd = oxymoron" and that "the plastic bashgaurd is only good for looking cool outside starbucks...." they aint really selling it to me :rolleyes:

·
Registered
510 Posts
The blackspire is cheaper because it is literally plastic, like the Truvativ. The E-13 is Polycarbonate, which is much stronger. I've seen one E13 break but it's damn near impossible. Mine have lasted for several years.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Makralon

DeepSouthBuilder said:
The blackspire is cheaper because it is literally plastic, like the Truvativ. The E-13 is Polycarbonate, which is much stronger. I've seen one E13 break but it's damn near impossible. Mine have lasted for several years.
Now doesn't that sound more impressive than "plastic" or "polycarbonate"?:D Yeah, the e13 and other plastic versions can break, and they require a little care in torquing the chainring bolts to prevent splitting or cracking. Metal ones seem to bend easier, but most of the times they can be bent back...until they crack too. Nothing is indestructible. I have MRP alloy models and e13 Superchargers, and they all seem to work quite well.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
DeepSouthBuilder said:
Actually the Blackspire one is Lexan. And I'm pretty sure that polycarbonates are plastics.

·
Registered
354 Posts
polycarbonates are plastics and lexan is very tough, e13 uses a cousin of lexan, forgot what it is called.

plastics can have a wide variety of of different properties, some are hard and brittle others are softer but tough, some are like rubber, some can melt others can't, some are flammable, others aren't.

·
solid gold plated
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
so what is smoke?

im bout to order a C4, figured i'll give the thing a try, anyway in the choices of colour they offer either clear or "smoke"

from the pics i found on the website selling them, and the pics from their actual site im unsure what smoke looks like, ive included a pic of either bash ring and if anyone can highlight whats what id be appreciative :thumbsup:

the left one is from blackspires site, the right from the shops

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
I've got a Blackspire Lexan C4 in smoke on my Addict. It's the darker colored one. I've never seen the orange-ish one. I'm at school right now, but I'll link pictures once I get home. Or I suppose you can root through the Urban/DJ/Park forum and find it.

It is very tough. I've run it into a lot of objects that don't move. Raced DH with it a few times, but I've found that I've been riding a lot more urban lately. It still looks to be in great shape.

·
Monte Su Bici Maldita
336 Posts
Yeah, the BlackSpire one is Lexan, which is supposed to be bullet proof. But right now my Blackspire is cracking at the bolt holes, because I over tightened my crank bolts. But other than that, It is a way better buy than a Metal bashring.

·
( o Y o ) 's!!
261 Posts
I've been using an MRP World Cup II for the past few years w/o problems and am considering an e13 because the Aluminum plates on the MRP are quite 'bendy'. For you guys with these e13's and a single chainring up front, what do you have on the left side of the chainring?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I've been using an MRP World Cup II for the past few years w/o problems and am considering an e13 because the Aluminum plates on the MRP are quite 'bendy'. For you guys with these e13's and a single chainring up front, what do you have on the left side of the chainring?
I'm still waiting on one of these: (in black of course)

https://www.straitlinecomponents.com/products/inner_rings.php

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Arkayne said:
e13 doesn't use an inner plate like some MRPs. It has plates that keep the chain from hopping off. It rides up real close to the chain.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.