Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got a pretty painful case....think i got it from standing too much on my right foot.......only one i have:madman: try to stand with my weight evenly distributed, but i know i have a bit more weight on my sound side more often than not. anyway, anybody have some good gouge on the best remedies? would love to get my limp back to a single side:thumbsup:

·
Registered
35 Posts
One thing you could try is to take a water bottle (aqua fina, etc) and put in the freezer until frozen, then put it on the floor, "roll" your foot in a back and forth motion on it for approx. 20-30 mins(or until it defrosts) all the while slowly increasing pressure on your foot; when it defrosts put it back into the freezer. Repeat process 3x's. It's good to have atleast two bottles frozen. This is generally done in a sitting position while watching the TV. Repeat the process nightly until the pain the fades. After that time, repeat every other to every third night until cessation of pain. Another thing to look at is the shoes you're wearing, they may be causing the problem(the soles have "given-up"or the arch is misaligned). A pain in the foot IS worst than a pain in the A. Hope this helps.

·
The White Jeff W
5,715 Posts
Go to a podiatrist & get looked at. He can determine what most likely cause the condition and how to avoid it in the future.

I had a bad case a few years ago that ended up being from the skates I was wearing for ice hockey. Had it in both feet and I have a job that requires me to be on my feet all day. Ouch. Very ouch.

Basically the cure is rest, stretch and remove the source of the condition. Spend the money on a decent pair of shoes with good arch support if you're on your feet a lot like I am. I usually wear Reebok or Nike walking shoes with good results.

http://arthritis.webmd.com/understanding-plantar-fasciitis-treatment

·
Registered
974 Posts
All of the above are good suggestions, they all work. Also stretch your calfs every morning and every night. If the calf muscles get tight they pull on the heel, which in turn pulls the plantar fascia. The waterbottle is a great idea, i've used glass coke bottles in the past, but they are hard to find.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Steroid shot(s), stretching, frozen bottle, hard rubber ball with spikes on it, etc. I've had PF for several years and through stretching and the afformentioned rubber ball, pain is minimal. Never totally goes away though.

·
Expert Crasher
6,359 Posts
I use one of those larger size rubber bouncy balls (appropriated from my children), it allows you to manipulate it under the arch with more control, plus the rubber won't squirt out from underneath if you have tile/hardwood floors.

All other posters had the right info too - as much as it may 'hurt' the pocket book, you can't cheap out on shoe quality. Get the right kind, in the right fit - or this will nag you for a long time to come.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I had it and had to stop running for almost a year. Got two cortizone shots with a big needle. That worked really well. The 1st shot lasted about six months, then it started to come back. At the first sign of it coming back I got the 2nd shot and it has been gone since, 10 plus years.

The shoes can be really important. I had to switch running shoes with plenty of arch supports. Switched my office work shoes to Ecco - allot of arch support.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for all the advice. i'm sure it has been a combo of putting more wt on my good foot, an old pair of keens i have been wearing alot, riding alot (which i think probably puts extra strain on my arch since i am getting about 90% of my drive out of that side). i will probably do some combo of all, including the magic shot.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I landed a bad case of Plantar. I attributed it to lack of stretching after riding and windsurfing. Also the pain was worse in the morning when I woke up. I had put in hardwood floors that didnt help the situation. I wore soft flip flops with a good arch support in the morning until i felt the calf and leg naturally stretch out. I did this for about 6 months. The Pain is gone. I think you continually tear the muscle which causes it to
become inflamed every day. I never stopped riding or windsurfing. I did however increase my stretching routine and put some really good arch support inserts in my everyday shoes I think the quicker you can recover the better something like this seems like
it could become cronic and really slow you down. Oh and I used a can of frozen baked beans to roll my foot on.

Good luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.