Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Bikecurious
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend and I are planning to ride Reddish Knob this weekend and are trying to figure out the best way up. I've ridden the lower sections of it before: up Hearthstone and down Sandspring, and up the road to Lynn then down Wolf, but now its time for the whole thing. We aren't in that great of shape, but we're stupid, determined, and, well mostly just stupid. So from looking at my map, to ride up the road from the bottom of Sandspring its almost 11 miles to the top. If we ride up the trail, either Sandspring or Hearthstone, its about 7-9 miles. And then there's Buck Mtn. I don't know much about this trail but it looks like it would be about 9 miles including the road at the end. It doesn't look like there is too much elevation gain on the trail itself (approx 1700ft over 7 miles) but that doesn't mean that its not a real pain, and the tech factor could be pretty high compared to Sandspring or Hearthstone, which are pretty smooth. We def prefer to ride on trails rather than the road, but when it just goes UP for 7+ miles a trail could be a real killer compared to 11 miles of road. So thoughts, opinions, experiences here would be greatly appreciated. I know I'll prob puke regardless of which way we go, but if I could keep it to under 3 times would be great!

·
Registered
657 Posts
g-bus said:
A friend and I are planning to ride Reddish Knob this weekend and are trying to figure out the best way up. I've ridden the lower sections of it before: up Hearthstone and down Sandspring, and up the road to Lynn then down Wolf, but now its time for the whole thing. We aren't in that great of shape, but we're stupid, determined, and, well mostly just stupid. So from looking at my map, to ride up the road from the bottom of Sandspring its almost 11 miles to the top. If we ride up the trail, either Sandspring or Hearthstone, its about 7-9 miles. And then there's Buck Mtn. I don't know much about this trail but it looks like it would be about 9 miles including the road at the end. It doesn't look like there is too much elevation gain on the trail itself (approx 1700ft over 7 miles) but that doesn't mean that its not a real pain, and the tech factor could be pretty high compared to Sandspring or Hearthstone, which are pretty smooth. We def prefer to ride on trails rather than the road, but when it just goes UP for 7+ miles a trail could be a real killer compared to 11 miles of road. So thoughts, opinions, experiences here would be greatly appreciated. I know I'll prob puke regardless of which way we go, but if I could keep it to under 3 times would be great!
I usually do it by riding to the top on the pavement (to keep from puking) and ride the trail back down. The trail back "down" is hard enough that I have to save my energy.

Another way to get to the top is from the dirt road that takes you to Flagpole Knob on the Briery Branch reservoir side. You just go keep going past Flagpole and it links you over to Reddish.

·
the unvarnished nonsense
1,832 Posts
g-bus said:
We aren't in that great of shape, but we're stupid, determined, and, well mostly just stupid.
You sound like a perfect candidate for the Slatyfork Shuffle. ;)

·
Bikecurious
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
davis said:
You sound like a perfect candidate for the Slatyfork Shuffle. ;)
If it involves beer my level of determination (and stuidity) increases exponentially.

We did make the ride on sunday, me with my derailleur totally out of whack and missing my granny and mama (gear just below granny) gears, and one of my buddies with a broken spoke (not that big of a deal but I was just waiting for his wheel to taco on the way down). Parked at the end of Tillman trail, rode about 4 miles on Tillman/Tilghman road, then up we go. Just over 13 miles to the top of Reddish Knob. Weather held for us. Was pretty overcast, tiny bit of drizzle, but not too hot. The ride up really wasn't too bad. Def a workout, but I found it more tedious than tiring. I'm probably more whipped after climbing Trimble that this road ride. The MP3 player on the last few miles helped a lot, as did some good company with wharped senses of humor. Did the climb in just over 2 hours with only a few stops. Not too bad for some seriously out of shape guys. Was pretty windy at the top of the Knob, made it quite chilly since we were soaking with sweat. There were actually 3 guys that had been camping up there for the last 3 days competing in a HAM radio event of some sort. They were really cool, even offered us food. That rockslide was nice, rode over it with no prob (ok, I'm a filthy liar, just glad we didn't get attacked by rattlers on the hike). Trail was REALLY overgrown. A lot of downed trees that I could get under but my 6'3" riding buddy had some trouble on. More climbing/ridge riding than I had expected for the first 5 miles or so. Those short climbs def killed my spirit after the 13 miles up. We took Hearthstone down. Why is there only grass on the trail, but nowhere else? It was close to 2' high. Nice way to hide the rocks and logs. Somehow my back wheel came off. Luckily it was pretty flat at that point. Just not sure how that happened. The quick-release lever hadn't even been flipped open. Oh well, no harm, just kept me checkin my back wheel. Trail was def rockier and steeper than I'd remembered. I can't believe I'd climbed up it last fall. About a mile from the bottom someone had built a jump of sorts by laying a 8" diameter log perpendicular onto a log that was crossing the trail, making for about a 3' drop, on a rather steep, sketchy, narrow part of the trail. Whoever made that has a sick sense of humor, but if anyone can take it without eating s**t they are the freakin man/woman! Made it to the bottom in just over 4 hours with not too many stops, 21+ miles, longest I've done. I was pretty impressed considering I think we would have died trying this a few months ago. Now I guess its just a matter of trying the other 2 trails down, which I know ride faster than hearthstone. We just took this one because we thought it would make a little but longer ride. Great ride. Not as much smooth downhill as I'd hoped but it was a great trail nonetheless.

·
Registered
92 Posts
It was a good ride. It was a fun trail. I think I might take a riding lawn mower to the overgrown grass portion it. BTW, you caught some sick air off that big jump.

I was expecting my legs to buckle the next morning but they weren't that bad. Walking up stairs I noticed my legs were tired but other than no soreness which suprised me.

I'd recommend Reddish Knob to anyone. I'd like to see that trail more developed, from top to bottom, from bikers. The lower part of that trail was the best riding.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.