Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Live 2 Ride
6,184 Posts
trojan_source - You'll notice everyone is a Avid fan around here. I'm not. Stick with your original choice!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I just read up on the BB7's and I think Ill go with those instead. Ill be buying the BB7's in about 6 months but I need to buy new levers in a week or so. I have my eye on the SD-7's but I want to make sure that they will work with the BB7's or do I have to get the FR-5's?

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
Kona0197 said:
trojan_source - You'll notice everyone is a Avid fan around here. I'm not. Stick with your original choice!
I'm not an "Avid fan" other than the fact that the Avid cable disc is probably the #1 rated brake in exsistence. I don't own Avids but have extensively tested them. I prefer my hydraulic discs. But the poster is considering what is advertised as an "entry level" brake even on Hayes' own site. To refer to Avid 7 with such a term would be laughable at best. The Avid is a great brake and I don't mean a great "cable" brake.

Heck the MX2 isn't even listed in mtbr's Product Reviews. The Avid cable disc has 554 reviews.

Mike T. (mcm # 717 & FOG)

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
You will also notice I never mentioned Avids, even though I am the only one that replied that uses them. I just was curious why t_s was looking at the Hayes.

Have you used the Hayes MX-2 or know anything about it?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
trojan_source said:
Yeah, I just read up on the BB7's and I think Ill go with those instead. Ill be buying the BB7's in about 6 months but I need to buy new levers in a week or so. I have my eye on the SD-7's but I want to make sure that they will work with the BB7's or do I have to get the FR-5's?
Either lever will work fine. The SD-7 will let you tune the feel and power off the brake better. You could use them with the Hayes, too.

·
Live 2 Ride
6,184 Posts
shiggy said:
You will also notice I never mentioned Avids, even though I am the only one that replied that uses them. I just was curious why t_s was looking at the Hayes.

Have you used the Hayes MX-2 or know anything about it?
Yes I've had some time spent with Hayes MX-2 brakes. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
163 Posts
i've been using the hayes mx-1's for the past year and have been satisfied. i've been doing a lot of hard technical ups and downs recently and have found them to be a bit grabby in steep situations. better than most V's though, espcecially in nasty conditions.

not bad brakes, but they're not as good as the bb7's or hydraulics.

·
Live 2 Ride
6,184 Posts
Pat T.® said:
Actually I am as well, but it is due to Shimano's customer service and lack of durability in the parts, not sure why he doesn't like them.
I've never had a problem with Shimano. Of course I have yet to deal with them on a personal level or deal with their CS but as far as Shimano's durability I have yet to have a problem. I used to own a '96 Kona Lava Dome with Shimano STX parts and it shifter crisper and cleaner than my new 9-speed setup.

Pat T.® said:
No I just made a common sense reply, I am actually a Magura fan I would never personally run cable brakes.
I haven't had the luxury or the funds as of yet to put hydros on my bike. I like cable run discs due to the low-level maintainence and I don't have to bleed them. Someday I'll try hydros but magura will not be my first choice.

MarzocchiFork said:
Maybe its because they suck as well.
I disagree. For my style of riding my Deore mech disc brakes work fine.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.