Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am planning a couple of weeks riding from early to mid September. I am definitely going to Moab but would like to try crested butte or vail etc. Are the ski resort chair lifts still running for mtb at this time of year ?. Any suggested places to,ride would be appreciated. I am flying into Denver I think and driving from there . Coming from Australia so Would be a bit of a bummer if the ski parks were not running . Do they run 7 days a week ? Thx in advance Pat.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Hi I am planning a couple of weeks riding from early to mid September. I am definitely going to Moab but would like to try crested butte or vail etc. Are the ski resort chair lifts still running for mtb at this time of year ?. Any suggested places to,ride would be appreciated. I am flying into Denver I think and driving from there . Coming from Australia so Would be a bit of a bummer if the ski parks were not running . Do they run 7 days a week ? Thx in advance Pat.
Most years recently, Winter Park (Trestle Bike Park) and Keystone have continued running through September, but only on weekends after the US Labor Day holiday (September 2 this year). But it all depends, you'd have to contact them to see what their plans are for this year. The websites only say "through the end of the season". Sometimes snow gets in the way.

According to this website, which I had never seen before, there are 13 bike parks in Colorado: https://mtbparks.com/Bike-Parks/

It is hard to beat Winter Park and Keystone though. CB's bike park is nice but not as big, but the trails outside of the ski area are superb. Also, Angel Fire, New Mexico is a great place, but might be a little out of your way. Click through the links and contact the parks to see what they plan for September, but keep in mind that it is not unusual for the high elevations to get snow in September. You'll be fine in Fruita and Moab though.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
If you're coming to Colorado in mid-September, you've got to hit the classics... riding the high country in the fall here is second to none. Split your time between Crested Butte, the Vail Valley, Steamboat, Breckenridge, and maybe even Aspen and you won't be disappointed. If you really want to mix in a couple of days at the bike parks, Winter Park and Keystone should still be open then.

Here's an article I wrote last year for Pinkbike about CB in the fall:

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/seasons-of-change-in-the-elk-mountains.html

·
Bikes in jeans
2,370 Posts
CB closes their lift service some time at the end of August, not sure on the exact date, some other areas do as well as the tourist season dies down. As far as riding goes, it's generally great, but often really cold. I'm from CB and I remember many days in September in the mid to low 30's, but you'll typically have the trails all to yourself.

Edit, just checked and they have Friday - SUnday lift service through september.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thx , we are debating between flying to salt lake or Denver. Booked a week in Moab and might be able to get a weekend in at deer valley before driving to Moab. Then head to crested butte and try to organise a couple of big rides.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.