Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to make a trip out to Colorado this summer to do some mountain biking. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on which trails to ride and the routes. I'm not sure where I am going to visit. Probably wherever has the most popular trails. Thanks for reading and replying!

·
a.k.a. Yeti Ken
112 Posts
There are great trails everywhere. In no particular order: Crested Butte, Durango, Vail, Salida, Gunnison, Fruita, Moab UT, Telluride, Aspen, Summit County, Colorado Trail and so on.

Help us help you by letting us know your athletic ability (for climbing), endurance level (for trail length), and skill level (for technical ability). Some areas have more of one type of riding than other so one destination might be better for you than another.

Also, when do you plan to visit? With the snow we are having this winter, it is doubtful that the highest alpine rides will be open before mid-July (401, Monarch Crest, ****, Two Elk). Fruita and Moab are not the best places to be in June-August unless you're disciplined about water intake (and if you ride really early or late).

Good luck

GS_Ken
Glenwood Springs, CO

·
Registered
180 Posts
mtb05grl said:
I'm wanting to make a trip out to Colorado this summer to do some mountain biking. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on which trails to ride and the routes. I'm not sure where I am going to visit. Probably wherever has the most popular trails. Thanks for reading and replying!
There are many great places to ride. Crested Butte would be a great place to start - there are enough great trails there to stay occupied for a good trip, or you could expand to the Salida and Durango/Silverton area.

You really can't go wrong with Crested Butte. The scenery is amazing, very friendly people, and many many miles of amazing singletrack. Just pick up a "mountain biking Crested Butte" guidebook, and you'll be set.
A ride not to miss (in most CB guidebooks) is Reno/Flag/Bear creek to deadmans gulch.

While the guidebooks tend to rave about Deer Creek, I personally recommend only doing that ride in the fall when the aspens are in color, as my opinion of it was quite low as a summertime ride.

Crested Butte is not to far from the Monarch Crest ride, which is one of the most well known and popular rides (for a good reason, as it is a great ride)

As Ken said, more info. would help to narrow your search. Have a good trip!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Experience - I've been mountain biking for about 1 1/2 years. I raced this past season (mountain and road).
Climbing - Decent
Technical Skills - Decent
Handling Skills - Decent
(I'm just going off by what others say. Many people have said my technical and climbing skills are above average for a girl, and many guys.)
I'm always up for a challenge. The altitude may take a little getting used to. I love the thrill of going fast. I ride a Giant NRS (full suspension) and a Giant XTC (hardtail).
Thanks so far for your replies. It's helping already. Maybe I'll plan the trip around the Crested Butte area in late July/early August.

·
Never mind.............
164 Posts
You should try the trails around here...

Hi mtb05grl...
Down here in Durango,we have some pretty awesome trails.Theres a bunch right out of town,such as the Telegraph trail system,also known as Horse Gulch...Plus the Colorado Trail is also accessable from town.This is a major bike friendly town,with good bike shops,lots of knowledgable people to ride with...plus its a pretty cool town besides. If you make it down here,maybe I'll meet you on the trail sometime...Happy New Year and Happy Trails........................................................................mtbikerjohn :cool:

·
a.k.a. Yeti Ken
112 Posts
Definately good suggestions so far. Back in 99, I made my first mountain bike trip to Colorado and the trip was split between Durango and Crested Butte. I highly suggest these two destinations as a first trip to CO. That is not to say that there aren't great places all over the state to ride...so do your research and decide for yourself. But be careful, Colorado is addictive to outdoor enthusiasts. After 6 years of visiting...my wife and I quit our jobs and moved here.

Good luck, and enjoy.

Ken

·
Registered
10 Posts
mtbikerjohn2003 said:
Hi mtb05grl...
Down here in Durango,we have some pretty awesome trails.Theres a bunch right out of town,such as the Telegraph trail system,also known as Horse Gulch...Plus the Colorado Trail is also accessable from town.This is a major bike friendly town,with good bike shops,lots of knowledgable people to ride with...plus its a pretty cool town besides. If you make it down here,maybe I'll meet you on the trail sometime...Happy New Year and Happy Trails........................................................................mtbikerjohn :cool:
mgbikerjohn2003, being from Durango can you give me any insight to the trails in Ouray or Telluride?

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
luv2hmr said:
mgbikerjohn2003, being from Durango can you give me any insight to the trails in Ouray or Telluride?
I'm not John, but I am from Durango. Telluride has tons of great trails, you like long, tough climbs that start at 9,000 feet? ... then Telluride is for you. IMHO it is a hard place to ride and enjoy yourself if you are not in pretty good shape, but if you are, and can deal with the elevation, the rides are superb.
To the best of my knowledge, Ouray does not have much right around town, the terrain just doesn't allow for it. But Silverton on the otherside of the hill has lots of great trails, again all at elevation with long climbs, but good quality trails.

·
Never mind.............
164 Posts
Silver-town is good,too...

cbrossman said:
I'm not John, but I am from Durango. Telluride has tons of great trails, you like long, tough climbs that start at 9,000 feet? ... then Telluride is for you. IMHO it is a hard place to ride and enjoy yourself if you are not in pretty good shape, but if you are, and can deal with the elevation, the rides are superb.
To the best of my knowledge, Ouray does not have much right around town, the terrain just doesn't allow for it. But Silverton on the otherside of the hill has lots of great trails, again all at elevation with long climbs, but good quality trails.
I have to agree with ya,Craig...the Silver-town area is loaded with nice places to ride...Hermosa Creek is another...definitely dry weather,tho...Also up around Rico,too...Peace to ya all.............................John

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
CB for starters

Lived in CO 20 yrs.

I think CB is my FAV, followed by Fruita. Winter Park has great trails, Durango too. The Monarch Crest is really one of the best trails in CO. So, besides the fitness & likes/dislikes, when are you visiting?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.