Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have 3 weeks off while switching jobs and want to come to Hawaii and mountain bike for a week. It looks like it's too late to sign up for a guided tour. Which Island has the best / most mountain biking ? I want to go for a week and then just sign up for a few day tours when I get there I guess. It's such short notice. And is there any particular part of one island I should shoot for staying on?

THANKS for any info !

·
Registered
549 Posts
Keep your fingers crossed that the weather cooperates for the next few weeks. If it rains, things can get slippery which can cause tight sphincter on many cliff-side trails (like the ones SloRdr suggested). There are opportunities on all the islands but Oahu has the most selection. Continue posting here or make friends at the LBS - they'll point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks - I'll be on Oahu Dec 9 to Dec 17th. North Shore Turtle Bay Resort.

I signed up for one of those "Bike Hawaii" tours for one day to ride Kaaawa Valley area. Then I guess I'll check with the local bike shops for maps / books / ride ideas.

·
Registered
549 Posts
"Bike Hawaii" was founded by John Alford if I'm not mistaken. . . lucky for you Alford also compiled information of nearly all the spots worth riding in the islands. Look for "Mountain Biking the Hawai'ian Islands" (by John Alford) at the bike shops and/or hope he's your guide when you visit Ka'a'awa Valley. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
298 Posts
Lanai

Anybody ever ride trails here? I'm thinking of a mountain biking retreat for a weekend with my sons (13 and 10, both raced 24 hour race so somewhat trail experienced).

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
396 Posts
compared to the mainland usa, oahu sucks the big one. some ok trails but NOTHING like the mainland. i really hate to admitt this and wish i could take it back but just being honest here....

·
Registered
11 Posts
it all depends on what you like. i found most trails in cali-nev area to be fun for distance, but lacking in change of roots and rock i love about hawaii. i have been told to go to BC or west virginny for similar fun.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
gsy971 said:
compared to the mainland usa, oahu sucks the big one. some ok trails but NOTHING like the mainland. i really hate to admitt this and wish i could take it back but just being honest here....
What kind of trails are you talking about? I agree that Oahu lacks flat groomed trails. There's plenty of technical stuff here. St. Louis makes my hair stand straight up every time there.

·
Registered
396 Posts
racerzero said:
What kind of trails are you talking about? I agree that Oahu lacks flat groomed trails. There's plenty of technical stuff here. St. Louis makes my hair stand straight up every time there.
i see that from previous posts you are a DH'r. since the poster didn't mention what specifically kind of riding we are not sure, but so there is st. louis for DH? the mainland has probably a way more DH comparable and even better...i don't think worth searching and seeking and planning a trip for. i actually think the poster would have mentioned DH but i think they are talking crosscountry type....and like you admitted in your 1st sentence, nuff said

as another poster mentioned roots and rocks? whenever there is a slight rain, everything gets washed out, exposed and then sometimes unridable..aiea loop for example...kaena is losing its trail to erosion, lots of trails are on DoD property(peacok flats) so sometime a little off-limits, that ride out in makakilo is private land and so is kuuloa ranch and mililani. tantlus is now closed to mtb and the trails around east oahu is too much climbing for too short a ride. not to mention winter is rainy season.

no national parks or awesome state parks here on oahu either...except for Pearl Harbor which aint really a "park"

take my advice and pass oahu. check BI or maui or maybe even kauai. our trails aren't worth it for you to plan a mtb trip for

i tried to kid myself once about the trails here but finally got honest

·
I'm living the dream!
391 Posts
Well, considering North America has 9.4 million sq. miles to work trails in to compared to Oahu's 597 sq. miles, it's no surprise Oahu doesn't rate when it comes to trails.

I don't believe I've ever heard Oahu referenced as a MTB destination but for the folks who live here there's enough to make due with. Do I wish there was more? Heck yeah, but as gsy971 already stated there's not a lot of public land to work with. I don't know who owns some of the trails I've been riding but there are some challenging trails out there.

The thing I've noticed that's really lacking here is trail advocacy. I know there's a bunch of riders here but unlike road bikers with HBL the MTB community doesn't seem to be organized as one voice. Maybe I'm missing something though.

Anyway, to say the trails here "suck" is merely an opinion and a matter of perspective. As for the rain... yeah, that's a winter challenge but, I'll take 72 degree rain anyday over 6+ feet of snow. The trails I ride actually drain well enough to ride the day after a nasty rain. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
11 Posts
i must agree with both of you, wierd as that sounds. if somebody wants advice they should be specific. i want to DH, go to oahu or maui, i want to to ride mainland style fireroad cross country, go big island or kauai, i want technical slow cross country, go oahu or kauai. i expect this generalization will pee some off, sorry. ihave ridden oahu trails since 1986, many places on the mainland bore me as the trails are wide, clean trails with no challenge except lung power. i prefer slow power trails to fast ones, i prefer belgian tripel to pabst blue ribbon or guiness, i prefer rolling climbs to fast climbs or fast downhills, i like riding in the rain and cleaning hard sections, or even falling down in the mud. oh yeah, one speed is all you need.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
gsy971 said:
i see that from previous posts you are a DH'r. since the poster didn't mention what specifically kind of riding we are not sure, but so there is st. louis for DH? the mainland has probably a way more DH comparable and even better...i don't think worth searching and seeking and planning a trip for. i actually think the poster would have mentioned DH but i think they are talking crosscountry type....and like you admitted in your 1st sentence, nuff said

as another poster mentioned roots and rocks? whenever there is a slight rain, everything gets washed out, exposed and then sometimes unridable..aiea loop for example...kaena is losing its trail to erosion, lots of trails are on DoD property(peacok flats) so sometime a little off-limits, that ride out in makakilo is private land and so is kuuloa ranch and mililani. tantlus is now closed to mtb and the trails around east oahu is too much climbing for too short a ride. not to mention winter is rainy season.

no national parks or awesome state parks here on oahu either...except for Pearl Harbor which aint really a "park"

take my advice and pass oahu. check BI or maui or maybe even kauai. our trails aren't worth it for you to plan a mtb trip for

i tried to kid myself once about the trails here but finally got honest
I'm not sure what you mean by Aiea Loop being unridable. That's my favorite XC trail wet or dry. Wet just makes climbing up the step roots a technical challenge. Another good trail is the Maunawili Demostration trail. There is absolutely no trail on Oahu that can match the views from that trail.

Yeah, I own a DH bike. I also own a steel XC HT, 5" travel all-mountain, 7" travel Freeride and a DJing HT. There's enough on Oahu to ride them all.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Paradise, the weather rules rain or shine. The trails i have ridden are usually short in length but fun , here are some favorites, Maui- mac nuts, poli poli , Kaua'i - waimea canyon area, Hawaii/ kailua-kona halouo loa-cow trails tech single track, Lana'i munroetrail/gardenof the gods Moloka'i Waikolu lookout good dirt road climb, the ranch has some awesome trails but the thorns are nasty. Kiawe trees are common in dry areas-Stay away or be ready to pull thorns out of your tires while you are changing flats Be ready for lots of climbing and trade winds in your face, I would also get some 1" continental slick tires for asphalt Alaska has some of the best trail riding in the World!!! My favorite road ride is the East maui loop.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
gsy971 said:
but so there is st. louis for DH? the mainland has probably a way more DH comparable and even better
It sounds like you never ridden at St. Louis. We had a Canadian and East Coast XC rider on hardtails ride with us at St. Louis and they had a blast. Not all trails up there are DH. Some are more like technical XC.

How many mainland DH courses can boast hosting a World Cup Downhill event. Why do you think one of the DH trails at St. Louis is called "World Cup".

·
Registered
549 Posts
. . .yeah "gsy971", the trails here suck. Wouldn't want you snagging your panties while trying to clear a section of wet-roots. Heaven forbid you should actually have to climb to enjoy a downhill - might smear your mascara. F**kers like you always ***** and moan about problems that can't be solved instead of looking for the positive aspect. . . maybe you'd be better off enrolling for a Pilates-class, it's a lot less "technical".

1 - 20 of 55 Posts