Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Probably won't do this until I get another job, but I think I have it all figured out. I am going for something fairly light but not $$$ light. I'll be throwing in a few parts of my own too. I did a lot of searching and reading on what parts are good/bad so the result is maybe a very boring, predictable bike.

This will actually be my first 26" bike. I rode bmx when I was younger and have a 29er now.

Code:
[B]what         what                                  price    where[/B]                                                                                                               
frame        ns suburban 26 2008 white             323.99   outside outfitters                                                                                            
fork         rock shox argyle 318                  369.29   universal 15% off w/ vip15 coupon code
tire         schwalbe table top 2.25               34       universal 15% off w/ vip15 code                                
tire         schwalbe table top 2.25               34       universal 15% off w/ vip15 code                                
tube         cheap 175 grams-ish schraeder         5        wherever                                
tube         cheap 175 grams-ish schraeder         5        wherever                                
cable        xtr cable kit                         16.15    universal 15% off w/ vip15 code                                
headset      fsa pig dh pro (silver?)              33       universal 15% off w/ vip15 code                                
handlebars   ns jalepeno (white?)                  34.85    universal 15% off w/ vip15 code
bb           19mm euro whatever brand              40       danscomp                                                                                       
seat post    macniel pivotal 27.2mm                25       danscomp  
seat         primo pivotal                         25       danscomp                                                                            

[B]front wheel[/B]
hub          hope pro ii 20mm black                80       universal                                                                                     
rim          mavic 721 black                       75       universal                                                                              
spokes       dt swiss comp 2-1.8-2 black           36       universal                                                                                          
nipples      wheelsmith brass silver 12mm          3.60     universal                                                                                            
build                                              30       universal                                                                                                    

[B]rear wheel[/B]
hub          hope pro ii ss black                           me                                                                               
rim          mavic 721 black                       75       universal                                                                              
spokes       dt swiss comp 2-1.8-2 black           36       universal                                                                                          
nipples      wheelsmith brass silver 12mm          3.60     universal                                                                                            
build                                              40       universal                                                                                                    

[B]stuff i have[/B]
grips        odi longnecks                                  me                                                                        
cog          13t                                            me                                                              
stem         dmr headstock                                  me                                                                        
chain                                                       me                      
cranks       dk social                                      me                                                                    
pedals                                                      me                                                                                                          
rear brake   avid bb7 mtb rear 160mm                        me
lever        tektro                                         me
chainwheel   colony 28t blue                                me
h.s. spacers                                                me

TOTAL 1324.49
Look decent?

Can anyone confirm that the Mavic 721s take a schraeder valve?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
XSL_WiLL said:
The freeride tubes are overkill. Generic tubes do the job just fine... and at half the price. Lighter too.
They were actually the lightest tubes I found on universalcycles, although lots of them didn't list weights at all. I guess I should try to figure out how much a cheapo tube weighs.

edit:

192 grams: http://www.rei.com/product/685340?c...-1942-DD11-98CA-001422107090&mr:referralID=NA
175 grams: http://aebike.com/page.cfm?action=details&PageID=30&SKU=TU8133

Ok, updated list.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
And now that I think about it, since I am gonna cannibalize the Pro II SS from my 29er and put a Nexus 8 speed on it, I will have to put v-brakes on the 29er, so I can re-use the rear BB7s I already have. Oh yeah, and the lever too, since I am gonna get the Nexus trigger shifter with lever built in. Oh yeah and I have a 28t chainwheel! Ah the price of this project keeps dropping... maybe I should just do it now. I have been economically stimulated, after all.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
No I'm not on a sub right now. I'm just from Poland and the place is swarming with NS bikes as you might think(they are quite cheap compared to other brands). A lot of ppl complained here about them Heard nothing about breaks but cracks yes and from very light riding. 08 model is lighter if I'm not wrong and probably they just done it wrong (or too much).

Also being in PL I'd never buy an NS. Plus I think there are better more obscure companies. NS has just good advertisement that kinda sticks with ppl. They are good frame but much overhyped.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
norbar said:
No I'm not on a sub right now. I'm just from Poland and the place is swarming with NS bikes as you might think(they are quite cheap compared to other brands). A lot of ppl complained here about them Heard nothing about breaks but cracks yes and from very light riding. 08 model is lighter if I'm not wrong and probably they just done it wrong (or too much).

Also being in PL I'd never buy an NS. Plus I think there are better more obscure companies. NS has just good advertisement that kinda sticks with ppl. They are good frame but much overhyped.
I agree they do a pretty good job of marketing. Part of my decision was also price, so I will need to research some alternatives that are also cheap. Maybe a DMR? I can get them locally, and the sidekick is quite cheap, although I'm not sure if it is too wimpy.

Can get the Sidekick for 241.40, but it seems to be the same length as the Transition which is pretty long in the rear. Kinda sucks for street stuff.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.