Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Hoops - Big and Small
1,083 Posts
Non-Folding Sling

kuna said:
Whoa a Slingshot! Those bike are some of the best climbing bikes, but watch out decending. They take time to get used to and they feel king of scary when taking small jumps or drops. :eek:
Yeah I'am going to see if I can fold it in half, I've never been to good at going slow downhill.

This is the older version of the fiberglass board that holds the bike together. The new version is field repairable.

·
Registered
354 Posts
swiss army....HA!

yo if you really wanna suffer on an SS you gotta get an old Swiss military bike, 35 lbs. one beloved speed, drum brakes, a dynamo light, and LEATHER mud flaps and saddle....and STEEL of course. Mine is from 1956 and cost 85 USD. Its perfect for those days when you really got to get out and kill it for a while. Just make sure you take yer man pill, anything steeper than a drive way and yer standin' on em. And of course they are all black, perfect for the midnite demolition missions.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thanks Chris

CBro said:
I almost forgot, I've got a couple of steel frames you might want to look at, if you're interested in a conversion project. The best would be the gray MB-4 frame that is beautiful, and identical to what I made my SS out of. Brian in Eagle just cut and welded me horizontal drop outs, proper brake bosses, cable guides, and I was good to go. It's labelled large, but fits like an 18" with a compact cockpit.

I don't know if I could stand to see another SS exactly like mine on the foothills, but it is a great ride.

Maybe we could talk about it over a brew or a hot toddy some afternoon if you're interested.

I also have a steel diamondback complete bike, in a larger frame that my partner might be buying after his 6 mos test ride.

CDB
Yeah I appreciate all the options you guys are throwing out there - obviously a good population of SS riders and fans in the TV.

I do have to wait until spring or late spring as just bought the Turner, have to pay Dirt Dart to do the build and of course me and my girl have some kind of Christmas.

Thanks!

·
Registered
186 Posts
TwistedCrank said:
Um. Check your catalogs for the price of the Surly 1x1 or Karate Monkey or the On One Inbred (both 26" and 29" wheels) and let us know if you want to stand by that statement.

Yeah the other off-the-rack Gunnars, Spots, Spicers, Cycips are a couple of bucks more but for price/weight ratio, ride characteristics, intended use, and durability you can't beat a Surly or On One.
a surly isnt something id consider a quality piece.

·
Back of the pack fat guy
4,008 Posts
OK troll, I'll play

smoking39 said:
a surly isnt something id consider a quality piece.
And, it also appears that you haven't considered capitalization or the rules of grammar.

Since you appear to be trolling for a flame war (which is par for the course for you) what do you in your infinite wisdom consider to be a "quality piece" when it comes to off-the-rack steel singlespeed frames? Heck, I'd love to get a custom Vulture, Curtlo, Sycip, Walt Works steel SS frame or something similar, but having owned 3 Surly frames, I can personally attest that Surly makes the best bang for the buck of any non-custom steel dedicated singlespeed frame on the market today. Better quality by far than the Monocog I had, and better than the Bianchi SISS too. In terms of quality for the dollar, I'll take a Surly frame any day of the week.

Ok, polesmoking39 - How many Surly frames have you owned? I'd like to know how much personal experience you're basing your opinion on.

·
Back of the pack fat guy
4,008 Posts
Earthpig said:
Naw, you need a wool jersey, a Titus Racer X, and an overpriced cookie cutter starter mansion in Stepford Springs. Then you'd be cool.
Twist, I forgot to mention that you'd also need a complete lack of backbone and a weird obsession with circle jerking.

·
Unicycles are for clowns
329 Posts
Wow

So smoking39 made a misstatement in a previous post about affordable steel. He then followed up saying that he doesn't consider Surly to be a great steel build -that's called an opinion. So the two guys who have Surly bikes get all offended. Give me a break. He didn't say "Earthpig your bike sucks" or TwistedCrank is a dipshit for riding a Surly. Grow up; it doesn't take much to get you guys worked up.

·
Back of the pack fat guy
4,008 Posts
kuna said:
So smoking39 made a misstatement in a previous post about affordable steel. He then followed up saying that he doesn't consider Surly to be a great steel build -that's called an opinion. So the two guys who have Surly bikes get all offended. Give me a break. He didn't say "Earthpig your bike sucks" or TwistedCrank is a dipshit for riding a Surly. Grow up; it doesn't take much to get you guys worked up.
And your point is? Man, it sure doesn't take much to get you worked up to write an off-topic post, does it? ;)

More to the point, why in the hell would I be "offended" if some 16 year old whose username includes the word "smoking" thinks a Surly is not "quality steel?" I merely replied to his "opinion" with my "opinion." I'm pretty sure no "offense" was taken. In fact, objectively, I agree with the essence of his opinion - 4130 chromoly isn't triple butted wondersteel, but that doesn't mean a Surly isn't a "quality" bike. I'll take a well-built 4130 chromoly frame and fork (that costs less than $400 and rides as well as any bike I've ever ridden) over a poorly welded and crappy riding "wondersteel" frame that costs 3x as much any day. Anybody who spends a lot of money on a steel frame is, in my opinion, wasting their money anyway.

Most interestingly about your post, however, is that you felt the urge to state your (non-topic-related) "opinion" that Twist and I need to "grow up." Were you "offended" that Twist I replied to the post with our "opinions?" Clearly, it didn't take much to offend you, you hypocrite, to the point where you felt the need to post your own non-topic-related opinion. :rolleyes: My reply "opinion" to your "opinion" is that you might want to take your own advice.

But, that's just my opinion, you know. No offense intended. :p

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
New frame for less than $80 = Cheap SS conversion

mtnbkrdr98 said:
Yeah I appreciate all the options you guys are throwing out there - obviously a good population of SS riders and fans in the TV.

I do have to wait until spring or late spring as just bought the Turner, have to pay Dirt Dart to do the build and of course me and my girl have some kind of Christmas.

Thanks!
Price Point Special

You'll have to use a tensioner or an eccentric hub however... I think EP had one of these frames. I like the 69 degree HA.

·
Back of the pack fat guy
4,008 Posts
flipnidaho said:
Price Point Special

You'll have to use a tensioner or an eccentric hub however... I think EP had one of these frames. I like the 69 degree HA.
Nope, I have the Supergo el cheapo Access frame. More "traditional" 71/73 geometry. I think I've seen pictures of a couple of these Reken frames built as singlespeeds over on the SS board.

·
Registered
186 Posts
kurtlange said:
and the reasons/facts behind this statement are??

kl
ive had three and built a couple dozen. they are not at all consistent. things like crooked gussets, dropouts that dont line up, gaps in welds, poorly machined head tubes, seat tubes that need customized clamps, uneven/crooked brake bosses, and a bunch of other little detail things. sure every company has these problems, but the percentage of surlys is way higher than anything i ever seen.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.