Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to add something really fun for foothills rides.
I hope to find something maybe off ebay around spring/early summer

Steel would be good
Not purist though:

would like front suspension
disc brakes

or am I missing the point? :D

·
Back of the pack fat guy
4,008 Posts
KY and chardonnay

mtnbkrdr98 said:

Steel would be good
Not purist though:

disc brakes

All you need is a good supply of KY and a bottle of chardonnay. :p

Seriously, there is no "point" to miss. Ride what you like. Most people I know started SS'ing on a converted hardtail gearie using a tensioner. Suspension vs. rigid is an ongoing debate on the SS board. Go look at the FAQ's on the SS board and you should find answers to most of your questions.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
And FWIW if you do decide to do a conversion I'd seriously consider taking it to flip. It'll require some legwork on your part to get the necessary parts that you may need, but in the end he does a great job. The SS he did for me earlier this fall has run flawlessly so far.

And I think total cost (parts + labor) came to well under $100 (I think more like $80'ish). From what I hear though...he'll gladly take beer as a payment!!!

One of these days I'd like to go to a dedicated SS like a Surly 1x1, but so far I'm having a great time with my new SS.

·
Registered
186 Posts
you can make you ss however you want. there is no reason we all couldnt ride a rigid ss. there will always be people who hate on what you ride. build it for what you want and not to fit into some guideline.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bianci

smoking39 said:
you can make you ss however you want. there is no reason we all couldnt ride a rigid ss. there will always be people who hate on what you ride. build it for what you want and not to fit into some guideline.
That yellow Bianci GUSS at your Front store is pretty sweet
but I think I do want steel

·
Back of the pack fat guy
4,008 Posts
29'er

mtnbkrdr98 said:
That yellow Bianci GUSS at your Front store is pretty sweet
but I think I do want steel
D - If you're considering buying an "off the rack" SS, have you considered a 29'er? The Gary Fisher Rig would be my #1 choice for a new singlespeed. I bought the 1x1 frame only because I already had the wheels and parts to build it up. However, if I were starting from scratch, I'd go for a 29'er SS. The Rig isn't steel, but it is spec'ed with a Reba 29" fork, disc brakes (I think) and halfway decent components, all for pretty darn cheap. I also heard through the grapevine that you can find a Rig or 2 on sale in Boise right now. I've seen one at World Cycle, but I'd guess that whoever else carries GF in town may have a medium in stock. If you want a 29" steel (non-custom), the Karate Monkey might be your best bet, but I'm not sure if you could find a complete Karate Monkey in town. If you're destined for a 26" wheeled SS, and you need a complete bike, I think On One is blowing out their remaining '05 singlespeeds as complete bikes, both 26" and 29".

http://www.on-one.co.uk/

·
Back of the pack fat guy
4,008 Posts
Crash_Burn said:
Has IMT ever had a Kona SS on the showroom floor?
Yes. I saw one there a couple of years ago around the time I bought my SISS. Seems like it was much lighter than the SISS, but also was standard (non-disc) hubs and rim brakes, though, where the SISS came standard with Avid Mechs.

Crash_burn - how's your 29'er SS project coming?

·
TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
2,982 Posts
Crap! Skiing royally sucked this morning. There was all this freaking deep unskied snow all over everything. I didn't have my cell phone, I couldn't get any IMs or read my PMs, the fungus in the Camelbak made the chardonnay taste funny and the KY was frozen solid. I should ride a fixie and wear cherry red lycra.

·
******-fied facsimiles
399 Posts
I know a guy.......

flipnidaho said:
buy a bike at the swap in spring and convert it to SS. Some awesome deals to be had if you get there early...
I know this guy see, hes got a cannondale 1fg see, looking to get rid of it see. ssing wasnt his thing see. ( what, no one into W.C. Fields?)

·
TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
2,982 Posts
smoking39 said:
steel is nice but its hard to come by for a reasonable price.
Um. Check your catalogs for the price of the Surly 1x1 or Karate Monkey or the On One Inbred (both 26" and 29" wheels) and let us know if you want to stand by that statement.

Yeah the other off-the-rack Gunnars, Spots, Spicers, Cycips are a couple of bucks more but for price/weight ratio, ride characteristics, intended use, and durability you can't beat a Surly or On One.

·
King of the Barneys
1,121 Posts
mtnbkrdr98 said:

Steel would be good
Not purist though:

disc brakes

I almost forgot, I've got a couple of steel frames you might want to look at, if you're interested in a conversion project. The best would be the gray MB-4 frame that is beautiful, and identical to what I made my SS out of. Brian in Eagle just cut and welded me horizontal drop outs, proper brake bosses, cable guides, and I was good to go. It's labelled large, but fits like an 18" with a compact cockpit.

I don't know if I could stand to see another SS exactly like mine on the foothills, but it is a great ride.

Maybe we could talk about it over a brew or a hot toddy some afternoon if you're interested.

I also have a steel diamondback complete bike, in a larger frame that my partner might be buying after his 6 mos test ride.

CDB

·
Unicycles are for clowns
329 Posts
Crash_Burn said:
Fame/Fork is in the mail - soon to be seen cruisin the Boise Front, and maybe a little bike path action also.
Whoa a Slingshot! Those bike are some of the best climbing bikes, but watch out decending. They take time to get used to and they feel king of scary when taking small jumps or drops. :eek:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.