Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the rides around Mt. St. Helens- specifically the Plains of Abraham will be open this year? I see they are opening the Johnston Ridge observatory again but I'm curious if the recent activity will keep anything else outside of trail 216 closed???

·
Registered
111 Posts
RockyRider said:
Does anyone know if the rides around Mt. St. Helens- specifically the Plains of Abraham will be open this year? I see they are opening the Johnston Ridge observatory again but I'm curious if the recent activity will keep anything else outside of trail 216 closed???
I just took a look at the GPNF web site, and as of today, the Plains of Abraham will be open this summer. They have a map of the closed trails and it looks like the whole Plains of Abraham - Smith Creek loop is going to be open...... I'm glad that it's going to be open, but I'm guessing it will have even more hikers than usual, at least the Ape Canyon part.

Dean

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Wow that's awesome news!!!! Sweet i'm gonna ride it, big deal if i die from a pyroclastic blast, i'd rather die mt. biking than being on the toilet or somethin.....

·
Registered
590 Posts
Looks like it'll open soon

Just received the Pedal the Pinchot for July 16th and the routes are the same which include Ape Canyon and Smith Creek. Cinsidering doing two upper loops this year, just to be silly...

bike ON
bob

RockyRider said:

·
Registered
98 Posts
I just called the forest service and the Ape Canyon trail hasn't been cleared yet. Dang. I was hoping to bike it as I'm visiting from Chicago (I'll probably hike instead). Hope you guys enjoy it later this summer! I heard it's a great trail.

·
Always Breaking Stuff
175 Posts
If anyone gets up to Ape Canyon please post a trail condition report. It would be good to know how bad the trail really needs to be cleared. If I get up there soon I'll post it but it would be good to know ahead of time.

-Jon

·
Registered
98 Posts
I hiked it last Sat. Trails were a little loose and wet, but no major blowdown. There was still some snow on top and some of the trail was eroded away (needed to scamper above trail on hill). Other than that, I'd say it's getting close if not doable if you don't find going 90. Good luck!

·
Always Breaking Stuff
175 Posts
allenpg said:
I hiked it last Sat. Trails were a little loose and wet, but no major blowdown. There was still some snow on top and some of the trail was eroded away (needed to scamper above trail on hill). Other than that, I'd say it's getting close if not doable if you don't find going 90. Good luck!
Awesome!

Thanks, I think we may check this out on Sunday. I appreciate the update.

-Jon

·
Always Breaking Stuff
175 Posts
TheDude said:
Thorir - How was it today? Didn't make it up in time.... probably going to hit it tomorrow.
Hey Dude,

Sorry about not returning your call, I don't get cell reception on the Mt.

Everything was AWESOME this weekend, there are a few blowdowns on both Ape Canyon and Falls Creek but both are totally rideable and very fun.

I don't think I'll be able to skip a full day of work this week, but I am planning on doing some after work rides, starting about 4:00. If that interests you gimme a shout, I'm game almost any day.

-Jon

·
Registered
98 Posts
In case anyone wants to see the cool scenery from the trail in 360 degree panoramic mode, I constructed a Quicktime VR.

http://www.petesplayground.com/blog/wp-images/mthelenspana.mov

You can zoom and pan all the way around. I took about 14 pictures for a full around the head view with my Canon ELPH and used the stitching software that came with the camera to put them together. I didn't think it would look so cool. Enjoy the trail!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hi all, I rode Ape Canyon today for the first time and it was fantastic. Pretty dry due to the last few days of heat, but the last descent down through the forest was incredible. the Plains were great and I rode all the way to Windy Ridge. The stairways were a little hairy, only crashed once going down.

Attachments

·
Registered
216 Posts
allenpg said:
*****in' shots! I guess I missed the good weather by 2 weeks. What camera did you use? I wish I had my bike to explore more when I hiked it.
Thanks! I just have a simple Canon A75, 3.2MP. It really was the perfect day out there. Absolutely perfect for my Ape Canyon initiation.

Allenpg, I'll second your warning of the eroded trail: It's about 1/4 mile after getting out of the woods (on the way up), and it could be a life-threatening tumble if you don't hike around it. Definitely be wary on the way back (downhill).

Now I'm off to Surveyor's Ridge. What a weekend!

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
ebxtreme said:
Thanks for the latest news too. Looks great......I can't believe I haven't ridden that before. This year for sure.

EB
Yah it's prime epic stuff. Pretty easy for the most part, but the singletrack climb isn't too tough up Ape Canyon, then the climbing is super easy on the Plains. Once you're in the plains you are on the frikkin moon. Then going back is mostly all gravity. You can see for ever.... even Mt. Hood if you know where to look.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.