Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just moved to Morgantown, WV about 8 months ago and have run the crap out of Cooper's Rock. Been to big bear lake a few times, hit some of the main spots in the MON (snowshoe, props run, Canaan Valley state park). Anyone out there have any good trail suggestions? Something where you can keep momentum, but there is still a good amount of technical stuff. Something within 1.5 hours of Morgantown would be great. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, Sorry to hijack but since you have ridden at both Snowshoe and at Big Bear could you give us some info on how the trails compare? ....for those who may ride the 24 hours at Big Bear....

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
kmoses said:
Just moved to Morgantown, WV about 8 months ago and have run the crap out of Cooper's Rock. Been to big bear lake a few times, hit some of the main spots in the MON (snowshoe, props run, Canaan Valley state park). Anyone out there have any good trail suggestions? Something where you can keep momentum, but there is still a good amount of technical stuff. Something within 1.5 hours of Morgantown would be great. Thanks for the help.
Kanawha Forest (Charleston) is about 2 hrs from Coopers and well worth the trip. There's a state park about halfway between Parkersburg and Bridgeville on RT 50 that I hear is a good place to ride. North Fork, North Bend???? I know it's North something. I ment to try it out sometime while my Grandparents lived in the area, but my Grandma passed on and Grandpa moved to Charleston soon after that so I never really made it there. I can't really vouch for the place, but I HEAR it's a good place.

·
yelgatgab
459 Posts
Baker's Ridge is a close option that provides some decent single track. You can spend days exploring that area. You can also work your way over towards the flats, across the road where their building the new school. There's a fast DH that takes you to the Rails and Trails over there.

Another option is Quebec Run in PA. It's about a 15-20 minute drive from Morgantown, but well worth it. Nice flowy single track, lots of options and pretty tech in spots. I could drive right to it, but couldn't give directions if I tried. Go by Wamsley's and ask Jeremy or Collin to help you out. They do group rides that anybody can join, or if nothing else, they can give you directions.

As far as comparing Big Bear to Snowshoe, there is no comparison. Snowshoe has far more trails and miles of riding, and the trails are significantly better. Snowshoe is also way more technical, and has better scenery...not to mention the killer DH riding there. Big Bear is a better option for the 24 hour race because it dries much better so doesn't get nearly as muddy, and it's not as steep. Losing the 24 hour race is the best thing that could've happened to Snowshoe. All that traffic was killing the XC trails.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm looking forward to hitting the mid-atlantic trails (both near and far) this summer.

Yea, snowshoe trumps big bear anyday. I haven't actually ridden at snowshoe for a few years, but what I rode back then was better than big bear today and I'm sure snowshoe has only improved. Of course I can't rip big bear too badly. I'm just partial to trails with long climbs and long downhills (at least a mile or so). Although doing big bear at race pace is a good workout.

·
Registered
497 Posts
motown

Yeah, Baker's Ridge is right in town and a lot of fun. I still get lost in there, there are some really fun singletrack runs and some short but tech downhills. I second stopping by Wamsley's- while you are there pick up a copy of the Morgantown trail guide. It's a nice guide to local riding spots, plus your $10 goes to help support the WVU club hockey team.

·
Registered
335 Posts
marsb said:
Yeah, Baker's Ridge is right in town and a lot of fun. I still get lost in there, there are some really fun singletrack runs and some short but tech downhills. I second stopping by Wamsley's- while you are there pick up a copy of the Morgantown trail guide. It's a nice guide to local riding spots, plus your $10 goes to help support the WVU club hockey team.
Try going to maryland, go into deep creek lake and check with high mountain sports, they'll give you some places to ride. Will be alot closer than snowshoe, although not near as good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.